Revolution to play Genesis & TurboGrafx games

Iwata also announced partnerships with Sega and Hudson to offer downloadable access to their classic games via Revolution's Virtual Console. Revolution owners will be able to relive their past gaming glories from the Sega Genesis console by playing a "best of" selection from more than 1,000 Genesis titles, as well as games sold for the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). These games join Revolution's access to 20 years of fan-favorite Nintendo games from the NES®, Super NES® and Nintendo® 64 eras.

This is too good to be true! Please say Gunstar Heroes makes the list :woot:

Source: Ign

Geez, if they keep the value price point like they've been saying, I'm going to pick this up regardless of owning a ps3 or xbox360 (don't have either yet, probably getting the latter). Nintendo may not have HD graphics, but it's going to be putting out one hell of a gaming machine.

I would expect not free.

Even though I'm probably getting a Revolution too, I think Microsoft should get some classic Sega games as well.

I mean, you could easily say that the 360 "plays super nintendo games" because it will have Street Fighter 2 and others on XBLA. Looks like Nintendo is just doing the same thing, not that you'll be able to plug in a Genesis cartidge or anything like that.

hmm...already have every single sega genesis game ever made on my hdd....and every snes, nes,..etc.. This isn't that big a news since emulators have been around keeping these old games alive for the past 8 years. This isn't revolutionary to me.

I do want to check out the controller though. New games are what interest me not rereleasing old titles. that's lame.

If this is going to happen when the final product is released I am soooooooo buying this console! Well I was either way lol but all the more reason now!!!

omg dude I love gunstar heros :woot: !!!! i still got the actual cartridge and its case!!!

This is too good to be true! Please say Gunstar Heroes makes the list :woot:

Source: Ign

hmm...already have every single sega genesis game ever made on my hdd....and every snes, nes,..etc.. This isn't that big a news since emulators have been around keeping these old games alive for the past 8 years. This isn't revolutionary to me.

I do want to check out the controller though. New games are what interest me not rereleasing old titles. that's lame.

Trust me, I know what you mean, I myself got most of the old school games I like emulated :ninja:. However, if they price it right, this may be even better, you can play it on an actual TV, with wireless controllers, laying back in a couch, no hassles for multiplayer, and no problems emulating some games (like Excite Bike on the NES, Light Gun games for NES/SNES or most of the heavy ones on the N64). And trust me, it's not so easy finding some old games (Sin and Punishment, anyone? :woot:). At the very least, it's not so bad paying a tribute to the developers that gave me and many, many people the most memorable part of our childhood.

This certainly makes the whole control method for old games interesting. Before people were saying "oh, turn the revmote on its side and you've got nes. Classic shell for N64 and SNES" or something like that. Now you've gotta consider that they need a way to control NES, SNES, N64, Genesis and TG16. That is what I'm looking forward to.

Nintendo are seriously pushing out stuff I want to buy on the DS continuously. Just look at the new Zelda and the subtle ways it uses the touch screen, not to mention what we haven't seen. Imagine what they're going to do when let loose on the Rev!

Oh, and just to throw in my 2p, there's not a chance in hell those games could be free. Question now of whether they use a straight CC, points system like MS or some sort of subscription. Trouble is none of them are that user friendly (apart from perhaps the codes). I can only hope they're value for money.

Here's hoping E3 is the huge blowout that Nintendo have clearly been waiting for.

they better have sega genesis sonic game on day 1

I've still got my nice shiny Sonic Collection disc for the Gamecube ready for that :)

Certainly is going to be the GAMERS console. As said before it may not have HD graphics or pushing close to xbox360 and ps3 power. But it's going to have some amazing games for it. :D

The thing is you can so easily pump out retro games for the Virtual Console and a lot faster then the XBL Arcade. Instead of re-coding each game one by one all they need to code is an emulator and BAM! All games work :) I'm definately pleased developers can actually develop new games for the Virtual Console, as well. Loads of small developers would love to create some games and then put them on a mainstream console, and now they have their chance!

Mmmm Duck Hunt on the Revolution. :D

Never played that game, parents were too tight fisted to get it for me. :(

That would be awesome. But where are you gonna get a gun from?

That would be awesome. But where are you gonna get a gun from?

the revolution controller can be used as a gun

if Nintendo does this right they will have a service that you can play ALL the games for a flat fee (or monthly fee) But knowing nintendo...they'll prolly try to charge at least 10$ for each game :x

the revolution controller can be used as a gun

I would not wanna use the revolution's controller as a gun. It doesn't have the look, and probably not the feel. They need to bring back the original.

i read somewhere not sure if it was neowin or ign where nes games or ?/$ 1.99

snes are ?/$ 2.99 and N64 are ?/$ 19.99

im not sure if this is true or not but the n64 one would be overpriced