The worth of a $40 logo

Question

Third time is a charm eh folks? I've got the funding, I've got the people, now I just need the logo!

First prize is $40 AND 6 months of free hosting on a basic HostFalcon plan. Two runners up will receive 25% off any plan for three months.

$40 for a logo?

Hmmmm

I usually charge my clients $300 to $1000 for a logo....

I see this kind of "contests" as the cheapest way to get something.....

If you pay me $40 for a logo I'll give you a $40 logo, don't spect more....

Why you don't give a Lifetime Hosting or $100 bucks prize?

That's my opinion.....

No offence to clipart logos but the guy needs branding not some ready-made clipart vectors you got for free from somewhere on the net.

They are paying only $40..... I'll use a free clipart if a customer pay me $40 for a logo!!!

$40 for a logo?

Hmmmm

That's my opinion.....

They are paying only $40..... I'll use a free clipart if a customer pay me $40 for a logo!!!

go and google "remove head from arse", for me please?

These people arnt business's, there just trying to make a quick buck. The guy is supporting the forum and providing a bit of fun, and as cash "prize" for the best one.

The people who have submitted the work dont NEED to submit, they are obviously happy to do the logo if they win or not!

Some of the ideas are fantastic, will be hard to choose a winner! Keep up the good work.

Seriously dude, it's a small start host that hopefully will grow into something bigger someday and afford to pay someone $1000 to make a logo. It gives people who may not have the connections, but have the talent, a chance to add something to their portfolio and practice their skills. Plus it gives them a little extra money to spend on their girlfriends next weekend ;) I could have done it myself, but it wouldn't have been as much fun for me.

I happen to think a lot of the logos here have been excellent and sometimes just as good as those overpriced $1000 logos that accomplish the same thing. It will be very hard to pick a winner, that's why I'm assembling a team to do it instead of just me :)

Keep up the good work guys!

Seriously dude, it's a small start host that hopefully will grow into something bigger someday and afford to pay someone $1000 to make a logo. It gives people who may not have the connections, but have the talent, a chance to add something to their portfolio and practice their skills. Plus it gives them a little extra money to spend on their girlfriends next weekend ;) I could have done it myself, but it wouldn't have been as much fun for me.

I happen to think a lot of the logos here have been excellent and sometimes just as good as those overpriced $1000 logos that accomplish the same thing. It will be very hard to pick a winner, that's why I'm assembling a team to do it instead of just me :)

Keep up the good work guys!

You haven't seen anything yet execpt maybe Lexcyn (Y)

$40 for a logo?

Hmmmm

That's my opinion.....

oh please... what a sheer lie!!

Show us your portfolio?

oh please... what a sheer lie!!

Show us your portfolio?

I have a "non-disclosure agreement" with my clients, so I don't have a web portfolio...

I work for a major Advertising Agency in my country....

So, it's my word againt yours.....

We, at our agency, do design contest, and we pay more than $40, and sometime contract the winner, like me, I won a contest for a flower gift wrap device, and now I'm the Packaging Design Chief..... Also i'm Web Design Head Chief and Web Development Consultant. Also I'm a Industrial Engineer specialized on Packaging and Containers.

Maybe we differ in our vision of a Hosting Provider, maybe in USA you don't need much money to start-up WHP, but in my country you need alot of money, Servers, Office Space, Support Staff, Corporate Image, Internet Provider, and so..... I used to work for an ISP and WHP, until they go to bankrupcy because the high TCO's

There are "cheap hosting providers" here, but they are just a guy with an ADSL wire and a Linux-box running Slackware and Apache...

So, I wish the best for your start-up and luck for the runners of this competition....

EOH.

I have a "non-disclosure agreement" with my clients, so I don't have a web portfolio...

We, at our agency, do design contest, and we pay more than $40, and sometime contract the winner, like me, I won a contest for a flower gift wrap device, and now I'm the Packaging Design Chief..... Also i'm Web Design Head Chief and Web Development Consultant. Also I'm a Industrial Engineer specialized on Packaging and Containers.

Maybe we differ in our vision of a Hosting Provider, maybe in USA you don't need much money to start-up WHP, but in my country you need alot of money, Servers, Office Space, Support Staff, Corporate Image, Internet Provider, and so..... I used to work for an ISP and WHP, until they go to bankrupcy because the high TCO's

There are "cheap hosting providers" here, but they are just a guy with an ADSL wire and a Linux-box running Slackware and Apache...

So, I wish the best for your start-up and luck for the runners of this competition....

EOH.

OK, you have made your POINT. Now step off your lil soap box and talk about something we all can worry about. Maybe that is all the guy can afford. GEEZ!!

I would make you the best logo but I'm so grand and so great that I start from $1 million per logo..your out of my league

heheheh

Then why did you waste our time by posting this? Leave now.

I only do these contests and competitions to improve my skill and show off a bit. It doesnt matter how small the price is, I consider that as a bonus. That is part of being an amateur designer in my opinion.

My current submissions;

i318_logo2copy.jpg

and one with out the extended F

i317_logo1copy.jpg

100% Created from scratch beside the text.

EOH.

Wow what a CV you must have. Your "word" isnt worth the paper its written on.

Anyone who charges someone else $1000 for a PICTURE is a ****. Who ever pays up is a bigger one.

Then why did you waste our time by posting this? Leave now.

He was making a joke ;)

Relax dude. As I've stated before, it's a small startup.

Anyone who charges someone else $1000 for a PICTURE is a ****. Who ever pays up is a bigger one.

if he really makes $1000 for a logo then I guess he doesn't need a CV :p

OK guys, let keep this on track. We're discussing and presenting HostFalcon logos here not fighting about someone who doesn't like my contest :p

EOH.

I understand your point that a logo is cheap for 40 dollars but to be honest I don't care about the money I just like the taking part, as I aint a fully established designer with my amazing design qualities. But I think half the logos I see on Neowin are far better than those I see from large companies. People just like to take part in these contests it's a chance to improve skills or challenge each other with their different techniques.

Last word, everybody knows the things you pointed out in your previous post, about 1000 dollar logos, but we're all easy, I don't mind one bit doing a logo for 40 dollars, so until I get a job as a 'Design Head Chief' then I'll continue in doing logos for people on Neowin who arent fully fledged business's.

Then you have quite a selfish and immature design ability.

Good designer, regardless of how much money, can design great designs. They don't design according to the money, they design according to their abilities.

Oh come. Its not a picture is it....

A logo is meant to be a definative mark which resembles your company.

I am in the process of working with a design company on a new logo & brochure for our IT consultancy co. The costing of the logo was just shy of ?1500 + vat which is about 2,610 USD

I'm all in favour of this contest and im sure Host Falcon will get a nice looking logo. You cant however compare this work to that of a big design agency, i assure you they completley different.

Auto, I'd kind-of advise you to just leave this argument as it is, the more you say the more it looks like your talking out of your rear end.

I tend to agree and disagree with the statement that a $40 logo is different to a $3000 dollar one. With the latter price tag, your going to get things like extensive research to ensure the logo is relative enough to the target audience, how people perceive it. But there is definately not a a difference in the end quality of the peice. I'd also add that in a big logo assignment, which costs in excess of $3000, your going to get alot of faffing around, wasting alot of that money anyway.

Just as a good reference, the new (current) BBC logo cost them 1million pounds to devlop, around 1.7million dollars? Was it really worth it? How much money was wasted on that project for 'runners', and the like? If you dont know what the BBC logo looks like, google it or go to bbc.co.uk.

It'd be interesting to know what people think.

Auto, I'd kind-of advise you to just leave this argument as it is, the more you say the more it looks like your talking out of your rear end.

I tend to agree and disagree with the statement that a $40 logo is different to a $3000 dollar one. With the latter price tag, your going to get things like extensive research to ensure the logo is relative enough to the target audience, how people perceive it. But there is definately not a a difference in the end quality of the peice. I'd also add that in a big logo assignment, which costs in excess of $3000, your going to get alot of faffing around, wasting alot of that money anyway.

Just as a good reference, the new (current) BBC logo cost them 1million pounds to devlop, around 1.7million dollars? Was it really worth it? How much money was wasted on that project for 'runners', and the like? If you dont know what the BBC logo looks like, google it or go to bbc.co.uk.

It'd be interesting to know what people think.

Its my first comment in this thread, I refrained from personal attacks i expect the same back.

Have you every marketed a company sucessffully? Do you know about marketing? Its a lot more than a pretty logo...

I havent got the time to deal with people like you.

Simply, because it became two topics. One, Marshy is looking for a logo. Then it evolved into a "What is a logo worth" discussion. I think Marshy did the right thing and kept the two conversations separate. (Y)