Apple Boot Camp

^^ and your point? :blink: because I am sure you have one ... :whistle:

Believe it or not, this isn't Microsoft's fault, so STFU.

I realize it's "cool" to be ant-Microsoft and anti-Windows, but it's really getting old (and quite lame).

It's clearly Microsoft's fault that there is issues installing Windows on a system that uses EFI which Windows does not support. Gee, that makes sense...

about the dell cd, i tried it (reinstallation cd xp with sp2) and it keeps asking for activation key, so i guess it will be void after 30 days...unless there is a way around it...i really don't feel like paying for another xp cd.

Surely you can just use the activation key you have when you got your DELL. :unsure:

I realize it's "cool" to be ant-Microsoft and anti-Windows, but it's really getting old (and quite lame).

It's clearly Microsoft's fault that there is issues installing Windows on a system that uses EFI which Windows does not support. Gee, that makes sense...

Actually it is Microsoft faults..

That BSOD happens when you browse a usb device in device manager, you click it and boom BSOD.

But the same thing happens on OS X ;), if for instance you don't have a driver for the Powerbook/iBook/MacBook Scrollpad and then touch the Scrollpad boom kernel panic -> reboot.

Same thing happens.

I own a PPC Mac Mini.

This wasn't meant to be anti-MS or whatever.

Well, I understand your problem. Some people just don't have a sense of humour.

Yea man, you need to mellow out. It's sort of funny and I mean it will get old after a while but you have to give some a chance, lol. I chuckle everytime I see it just because I remember how many issues I had with windows doing this, both XP and ME. Some Mac users get a little kick out of it, nothing more.

I'm a Windows user since 3.1, before that I had a Mac Classic. I was thinking about getting an iMac when Leopard came out and this pretty much cemented it. Personally I don't really care to run Windows at all but it will be nice to be able to switch over to play CS:S occasionally.

I think you guys are forgetting that the average computer user is not going to go through the trouble of dual booting anything. This is mostly for the fanboys and people who need Windows as a crutch as they transition, and for gamers.

What remains to be seen is what will happen in Leopard, from the rumors it seems that Apple is planning some kind of Rosetta for Windows programs, so you can take the programs you want and run them in OSX using built in virtualization. Which would be pretty cool because then I could still use uTorrent :p

Actually it is Microsoft faults..

That BSOD happens when you browse a usb device in device manager, you click it and boom BSOD.

But the same thing happens on OS X ;), if for instance you don't have a driver for the Powerbook/iBook/MacBook Scrollpad and then touch the Scrollpad boom kernel panic -> reboot.

Same thing happens.

well I had a laugh at that BSOD but personally I think its not OS maker's fault if the drivers are bad (for OSX or for Windows)...

Surely you can just use the activation key you have when you got your DELL. :unsure:

Surely you will be violating the Windows EULA. OEM copies are a seperate license and they can/should only be installed on the machine they were purchsed.

well I had a laugh at that BSOD but personally I think its not OS maker's fault if the drivers are bad (for OSX or for Windows)...

Like I said it happens if there ISN'T a driver. so it is the OS's reaction to there not being a driver in existence.

I wonder what Microsoft's response will be, in having these new Customers who are able to take advantage of the Tech Support, without an "XP Compatible" machine :/

Edited by Evolution

Surely you will be violating the Windows EULA. OEM copies are a seperate license and they can/should only be installed on the machine they were purchsed.

Only if he currently has the same install of XP on his DELL. If he doesn't the licence is still open and can be used.

Only if he currently has the same install of XP on his DELL. If he doesn't the licence is still open and can be used.

Technically OEM licenses are only to be used/sold with core components. Hard Drive, Motherboard, GPU, CPU, or a complete system.

So buying one and installing it on a computer from Apple I think would break the license agreement.

Some online stores won't even let you buy an OEM XP disc without also purchasing a core piece of hardware.

now if only microsoft provides a similar software to install Mac OS on a normal PC.....we'd save plenty of money on the expensive apple hardware n still manage to use the most powerfull OS

edited:

ooops i forgot MS wont do that just 'cause that would hurt them more as MS is a software company first and they wouldnt wanna start promoting Mac OS. In terms of APPLE Co. it works great for them....ppl buy there hardware which comes with pre-installed OS n they're makin $hit loads of money on it

At this point I think it would have nothing to do with MS that would allow Mac to be installed on any other kind of PC. The special thing about what has happened here is that Apple makes the hardware, and they are making it possible for Windows to go on their hardware. This is only good for Apple, as you can't buy a barebones Mac, even if you did, they's still get money. MS has no stock in what hardware you buy for the most part. I built my own PC and MS saw not a penny of the money I paid for hardware. If Mac released a version of their OS that could run on that PC, that would only hurt Apple because they would lose hardware sales because I would buy my barebones computer components and they wouldn't see a dime. Microsoft couldn't care less either way.

Like I said it happens if there ISN'T a driver. so it is the OS's reaction to there not being a driver in existence.

erm... Windows does NOT BSOD when there isn't a driver :| it just doesn't use the device... BSODs occur with BAD drivers or malfunctioning hardware.

Not really. OEM licenses are bound to that machine's Motherboard. If you bought an OEM computer and had to change the motherboard, then you need to buy a new license of Windows :\

erm... Windows does NOT BSOD when there isn't a driver :| it just doesn't use the device... BSODs occur with BAD drivers or malfunctioning hardware.

Sorry maybe I worded it wrong.

The MacBookPro has a USB device without drivers when clicked - BSOD.

I didn't mean when Windows XP doesn't find a driver it just BSODs.

does it have to be a sp2 disc, i have a few spare copies of straight xp, but no sp2 discs

Yeah it has to a be a SP2 disc, your system will give a boot error otherwise.

It's quite easy to slipstream a Windows XP version 2002 disc with SP2, Google it.

just because people are going to switch now that they have no real excuse and can use their applications that are windows only or play games etc on a mac now, which was for most of the people the only complain.

There is a problem. Cost and compatibility. Why pay HUGE amounts of money for proprietary junk, when I can save money with IBM-Comp PC parts? I can't wait for the day when Windows can legally run MacOS.

/crosses fingers

this is just great, you need a INTEL BASED mac, so my G4 Titanium is useless...how stupid...geeeez way to go apple...

Oh, I'm sorry, I missed the part where Apple was a bunch of miracle workers that did PPC->Intel translations in zero-time.

Sheesh.

Either you write sarcasm poorly, or you just don't understand how this works. This isn't VirtualPC.

this is just great, you need a INTEL BASED mac, so my G4 Titanium is useless...how stupid...geeeez way to go apple...

PPC (G3, G4, G5) Macs have a tottaly differn't set of instructions then any i386 (intel, amd) CPU.

Since Apple started using Intel the main problem was the Macs used a newer boot method that dosen't work with windows, Boot Camp fixes this along side a lot of driver issues in windows.

It would be a lot of work to get XP to boot on a Mac and it still woulden't be running natively... Meaning it woulden't be fast.

There is a problem. Cost and compatibility. Why pay HUGE amounts of money for proprietary junk, when I can save money with IBM-Comp PC parts? I can't wait for the day when Windows can legally run MacOS.

/crosses fingers

nope, no problem. its not about buying a mac because of the possibility of running windows.

its about the switchers that wanted to switch because of aparture, final cut or just because mac is just better but couldnt because of their games they liked or some other software they needed but werent able to run on mac os...

if you want a windows-pc you of course would never consider buying an expensive mac just for installing winXP...