Apple Boot Camp

Did anybody notice what it did to the price of Apple stock on the market today? :)

I wish I had bought a handful of shares this morning and sold them tonight. I would have made lots of money...

I think Darwine is more of a threat to proper "native" OS X apps than dual booting. It's a pain and only useful for games and stuff that has not been updated to universal yet (Google Earth).

Remember OS/2? The "dual booting" feature is not what killed OS/2 but rather the ability to run windows apps natively.

BTW. I'm in XP at the moment.

Aw man that sucks! :(

I never saw anything like that because I've just blown my OS X install away and given the whole disk to XP :D

Installing Quake 4 now for more tests..

You're crazy :|

Well. I managed last night to get Boot Camp to partition my HD but it has also corrupted by OSX partition so now I cant boot OSX. Disk utility can't repair the drive nor can running 'fsck' in single-user mode. I am also having trouble installing XP, can't read my CD properly for some reason.

So right now. I am without my MBP with no OSX and no XP. I'm in work typing this. :( :cry:

I always used a PC... but now im thinking about this idea of using a mac (because of the power?) with windows for some programs/games.

My question! (i dont know anything about macs...) Can someone tell me the equivalent in PC of a iMac 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM? i was thinking of upgrading my pc to a $3,500 DELL pc... but now, im not sure from which one im going to get the best performace.. (i always like to paid for the "best")

* I run programs like photoshop, Maya, and some video editiing. Also, sometimes i run this programs at the same time.. and always is a pain in the... thats why i need more power.

thanks!

wow....this is just the most amazing news

when the new intel g5 counterparts come out if this works and allows me to dual boot osx and vista each off their own 500gb HDs then i'll definitly be upgrading.

i wont be trading in my powerbook to be able to do this but if all works out i'll def swap out my desktop. damn i cant wait now.

I know I can't wait also to sell my (noisy) desktop pc for a sleek new Mac.

I installed it today on my MacBookPro and it rocks! Not sure what I am going to use it for... but at least I know it's here should I need it :D

wow, nice, just one problem...

why? after i threw my pc away for a mac, why do apple make a softwae that transforms the mac to a PC in a smaller box?

Are there going to be cheaper Intel based laptop's than the MacBook's? At the moment, the cheapest comes in at $2800 (AUS)... personally I was only interested in getting one if it was $1500 ish :\

does anyone know if a dell provided winxp cd works ?

i'm curious to find out

The Dell cd should work fine provided it is a 04/05/06 sp2 version.

"Dell Provided" = a Quick Restore CD or a Windows XP CD? Quick Restores won't work...

Oh I wouldn't expect them to.

I'm looking extremely forward to this..

it's quite a WIN-WIN-WIN situation for MS, Apple and Us..

If MS actually co-operate with Apple [like not limiting Vista to be installed with certain requirements, which are not found in Apple hardware], and Apple plays their cards right, this could turn out to be one awesome program.. ;)

So all I can say is Good Luck, and let's see what the future holds :fun:

Apple needs to watch out they're not making Windows running on Mac too easy or fully integrate it into future Mac OS versions. If it's possible to acces your Windows desktop with a single keystroke or make it run similar to a Classic-like environment at near native speeds Apple probably will loose Mac OS support from developers.

At this point Boot Camp is just right, imo. It's possible to install Windows without going through terrible installation processes but Apple isn't really promoting it either.

Apple needs to watch out they're not making Windows running on Mac too easy or fully integrate it into future Mac OS versions. If it's possible to acces your Windows desktop with a single keystroke or make it run similar to a Classic-like environment at near native speeds Apple probably will loose Mac OS support from developers.

At this point Boot Camp is just right, imo. It's possible to install Windows without going through terrible installation processes but Apple isn't really promoting it either.

Who cares! :laugh:

Woo Woo the witch is dead, which old witch? the wicked witch! yay ya *sings and dances*

Mac + Windows - LEGALLY. this is what we have all wanted forever you cant put a downer on news like this. Developers won't just switch to windows they love there Mac's + OS X just like we do.

Hahaha, I guess we PPC users are the only pure Mac people, lol (j/k)

I was thinking that, but then it hit me. MVP, and other products that run windows on PPC Apps

Developers won't just switch to windows they love there Mac's + OS X just like we do.

Nope but switching to Mac OS X it isn't really attractive for future developers either if you can run a Windows environment within Mac OS X. So I kinda hope the whole Windows compatibility thing stops at the current level of Boot Camp.

It would be nice if Apple added full NTFS support to Mac OS X tho. :laugh:

about the dell cd, i tried it (reinstallation cd xp with sp2) and it keeps asking for activation key, so i guess it will be void after 30 days...unless there is a way around it...i really don't feel like paying for another xp cd.

You are absolutly right, its sort of like a parent telling a kid not to do something but if they decide to do it, here is an easier way to do it. Boot camp is the perfect solution to this problem. It's easy enough that most people with a little bit of computer know how can do it, but it isn't integrated which still gives OS X a rightful place.

Most people that buy a Mac are going to do so because they want the OS, this just makes the transition a little easier, and if Apple knows what its doing they will keep it just the way it is or very similar in principle. Anything else might lead to an OS/2 type situation.