Apple Boot Camp

I never saw anything like that because I've just blown my OS X install away and given the whole disk to XP :D

Are you serious? Are you a mac user at all, or are you simply in it for the hardware?

Are you serious? Are you a mac user at all, or are you simply in it for the hardware?

Haha.. maybe ;)

Suffice to say in the 3 months I've had the Mac there hasn't been a day go by when I didn't have some complaint about OS X (ask Homer lol). Except today :laugh:

Oh dear god...

After reading like 11 pages of this thread, I still have trouble even COMPREHENDING THE IDEA and BELIEVEING it to be real...

WTF?!...

But wow...just wow...now...I can finally run PC applications on my...MacBookPro (as soon as I get it...)

Its...beautiful :cry:

Lets hope we see an OSX emulator XP soon. =]

No need for an emulator.

But wow, I'm amazed at how many people have pulled it off now. This is awesome. The best of both worlds now in one package. All legal. :D

Lets hope we see an OSX emulator XP soon. =]

PearPC and VMWare already exist :p it's illegal to install OS X on a non Mac machine, tho :\

Omg :blink: I cannot WAIT until the new ibooks come out. I think Apple made a good move with this, although I probably would only use windows for stuff I can't do on the mac :D

Edited by couture

Need some help understanding this one. Since both Apple and MS don't support this...although Apple encourages it, doesn't it violate the EULA for both?

Thus if it does...will it prevent me from getting updates for either of them?

Also if I take an SP2 xp pro disc and install it...how does activation work then, also how do I continue to get all the latest security updates/fixes for xp? Will WU reconize my machine?

If all of this is over come....a new mac is in my furture as soon as 10.5 is out.

I've always wanted an Intel Mac mini purely for its size and style, but running Windows XP for its power and functionality, I guess thats a reality now. All I have to do now is find someway to afford Apples absurd prices. :p

I am very interested how Media center 2005 works on an intel mac mini , will it support the microsoft remote / dongle ? Will it support USB capture devices ? I curently have a PPC mac mini and the form facter and slience of the thing amazes me, I woudl definatly replace my HTPC in my lounge with an intel mac mini if i wouldnt loos eany functionality.

I use 2 cable set top boxes to a dual tuner card at the moemnt, controller by the microsoft ir transmitters, so a usb dual tuner mpeg 2 encoder or 2 that woudl work together would be needed.

I am very interested how Media center 2005 works on an intel mac mini , will it support the microsoft remote / dongle ? Will it support USB capture devices ? I curently have a PPC mac mini and the form facter and slience of the thing amazes me, I woudl definatly replace my HTPC in my lounge with an intel mac mini if i wouldnt loos eany functionality.

I use 2 cable set top boxes to a dual tuner card at the moemnt, controller by the microsoft ir transmitters, so a usb dual tuner mpeg 2 encoder or 2 that woudl work together would be needed.

It doesn't support media center, at least not yet.

Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

The only thing I'm worried about is what will developers do. They spend money on supporting both camps, and now both are available on one machine. Could some just give Apple the big FU and say well u can use windows so use it now that they are on the same machine. Could this move actually hurt OS X?

I keep thinking that the people buying a Mac and those that are going to switch as a result of this will be doing so so they can use OS X yet still be able to use windows for those pesky little apps. But then couldn't developers say, well we will be one of those pesky apps so use windows. It could be a domino effect that could really hurt OS X. What are your guys thoughts?

The only thing I'm worried about is what will developers do. They spend money on supporting both camps, and now both are available on one machine. Could some just give Apple the big FU and say well u can use windows so use it now that they are on the same machine. Could this move actually hurt OS X?

I keep thinking that the people buying a Mac and those that are going to switch as a result of this will be doing so so they can use OS X yet still be able to use windows for those pesky little apps. But then couldn't developers say, well we will be one of those pesky apps so use windows. It could be a domino effect that could really hurt OS X. What are your guys thoughts?

I think that's a real possibility. But the developers who develop for Mac OS X aren't going to abandon the platform anytime soon. There are way too many people who use it, and who aren't willing to shell out the $300 required to buy a Windows XP CD (assuming they don't already have one).

It would definitely be a shame to see this happen, considering how amazing Mac OS X is. I think it will continue to live on for many years to come. Then again, Dvorak does have a pretty good track record thus far...

That's what I was thinking about as well. I would love to dual boot Windows on my Mac, but I would hate for developers to stop supporting the Mac platform, since I do prefer to use OS X, and I'm many magnitudes more efficient on it. If anything, I would only boot into Windows for the odd program that doesn't have a Mac equivilent or for some newer games.

Well I was thinking about it again and since Apple does not offer support for users putting windows on their machines, I think developers developing for OS X won't have a choice to stop. If they did, they are abandoning the Mac platform altogether and those that are dedicated to supporting it won't do that.

Also, those that will buy a Mac are doing so for the OS, not to simply run windows. And those switching, this just eases the transition. I think really if anything, OS X user base will go up which will give developers more reason to support the OS.

I dunno, there are 2 sides to the coin, and Andy, Dvorak predicted a complete switch from OS X to windows, that will never happen. This is just a way to support the community and allow a way to help switchers. I think all is well and Dvorak is still wearing tin foil on his head :p