• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Apple Boot Camp

estranged    0

argh. WHY.

error.tiff

bontakun    0

now if only i could sell my pc and buy an imac, then i could install windows and play my handful of games then go back to mac os

Menge    33

argh. WHY.

I invite you to read the site and get the latest Firmware update :)

instant.human    45

sorry for double posting.

but...

man this is amazing imho.

its the best apple could do. give the user the CHOICE. especially for switchers thats the best that could ever happen. and indeed its apple who can be happy. just because people are going to switch now that they have no real excuse and can use their applications that are windows only or play games etc on a mac now, which was for most of the people the only complain.

at the moment one might think that microsoft is the big winner but i dont think so. i cant really explain that, my business-english sucks, so i just leave that sentence there and go on being happy.

now all i have to do is buy a macbook when they come out.

RadishTM    312

Threads Merged

This is a pretty awesome move by Apple, and I'm thinking it will help drive sales for Windows XP - meaning everyone wins.

Radish?

yodat    23

:laugh:

Indeed a good move from Apple side @ least for customers.

From 5 years ago now nobody would believe such a thing both from Apple & Wintel side.

Gotta love what Apple wrote on their Boot Camp site:

MonkeyClaw    9

Well the thing is with the EULA associated with OS X, Apple has made it that it is illegal to run OS X on a machine that isn't a Mac. MS has done no such thing which is good for Apple. But then again, Apple has to do that with OS X because Apple is a hardware company. MS is a software company. If Apple licensed their OS to other manufactuers, then they would loose lots and lots of money. But since Apple is a hardware company, they can choose to support other operating systems on their machines. This move on Apple's part is a huge step forward in the computer industry. Interoperability between platforms is a must now adays, and I think Apple is learning that they might not win over Windows with OS X so they will have to live with it instead.

Damien_Old    0

couple of things, pc users need efi, second, when is microsoft gonna release software to run osx on a windows based computer :)

why would MS make a patch to allow a competing OS that is going to take their revenue away run?

apple did this because you still have to buy their hardware to get xp to run, so they make money either way.

Toastyone    0

OMFG!!!! :o :o :o :o :| :woot:

.Neo    1,834

I think Apple is learning that they might not win over Windows with OS X so they will have to live with it instead.

I doubt Apple wants to become #1 or plans much effort into such a goal. The only thing Apple wants (I think) is to make Mac OS X have a bigger market share. Boot Camp will certainly help.

DirtyLarry    2,094

This is the type of news I have been waiting for patiently.

It is now "official."

A new mac Intel desktop is definitely in the future for me.

estranged    0

I invite you to read the site and get the latest Firmware update :)

lol.. yeah, thanks.

giga    45

Holy wow. An Intel iBook is definately in the future for me now! College can't come soon enough. :D

Wickedkitten    11

moved the topic over here so more people that actually have intel macs will see it.

Raa    1,551

This poses an interesting question

If a standard white-box pc is built that supports EFI (it will soon)

Does that mean OS X could be installed on it - theoretically, its the same whether its a mac or pc then, right?

At least in terms of hardware.

Or did I miss something? :p

.Neo    1,834

moved the topic over here so more people that actually have intel macs will see it.

Eh BPN is for both Apple and Microsoft related news and since this isn't about Mac OS X only the Mac OS discussion forum isn't really the place my thread should be in. Boot Camp also made it to the front page so enough people will see it...

Creamy    1

Wow.....just.....wow!

.Neo    1,834

Does that mean OS X could be installed on it - theoretically, its the same whether its a mac or pc then, right?

Yeah there aren't any Mac OS X drivers for internal 3rd party hardware. So the system would run like crap.

giga    45

OS X can be installed on most x86 machines right now. All it requires is SSE2 instructions. It's illegal though.

FOOOD    0

*Starts looking at which MacBook Pro to order :D *

If they'd have released this a few weeks ago they could've claimed that $13,000 :whistle:

RadishTM    312

Eh BPN is for both Apple and Microsoft related news and since this isn't about Mac OS X only the Mac OS discussion forum isn't really the place my thread should be in. Boot Camp also made it to the front page so enough people will see it...

Since it's posted on the front page now, this is the logical place for it to be moved to for members to discuss.

Radish?

Si    11

I am actually jumping up and down with joy...

Coolest. Thing. Ever. :woot:

.Neo    1,834

Since it's posted on the front page now, this is the logical place for it to be moved to for members to discuss.

Radish?

How is this Mac OS-specific related? If anything it has more to do with Apple Hardware than their OS.

*Starts looking at which MacBook Pro to or:Dr :D *

If they'd have released this a few weeks ago they could've claimed that $13,:whistle:tle:

lol yeah. All that work and money for nothi:laugh:ugh:

sundayx    127

this has CONFIRMED my purchase of a leopard mac