entry level dSLR

yea, what would be a good starter lens for the nikon? I've seen some cheaper kits come with the 28-80mm lens, but I'm guessing a standard lens would be 18-55mm?

Yep the cheapest bundle on ebay is with the 28-88mm, is the lens that bad?

The 28-88 won't allow for wide angle shots. The 18-55 would be better. However, the 18-70 would be ideal, since it's the lens that comes with the D70.

The 28-88 won't allow for wide angle shots. The 18-55 would be better. However, the 18-70 would be ideal, since it's the lens that comes with the D70.

what do you mean by "its the lens that comes with D70" ?

what are the pros of the 28-88?

i've read several reviews on the lenses, but what better reviews that people who've used it ! ( most sites are biased on X Brand..)

The 18-70mm is one of Nikon's best deals. It is a leap above all the other kit lenses, including the ones you mentioned.

Check out fredmiranda.com or nikonians.org for what people think.

Remember that Nikon DSLRs have a magnification factor of 1.5, so the 28-80mm becomes a 42-120mm lens on a D50. Not a very useful range for general purpose shots.

The 18-70mm is one of Nikon's best deals. It is a leap above all the other kit lenses, including the ones you mentioned.

Check out fredmiranda.com or nikonians.org for what people think.

Remember that Nikon DSLRs have a magnification factor of 1.5, so the 28-80mm becomes a 42-120mm lens on a D50. Not a very useful range for general purpose shots.

Interesting fact about the magnification factor, very useful!!!

Only thing is on ebay, the bundles with the 18-70 are 700+ which goes above my budget, so I guess it's going to be the 18-55 unless I find a good site with cheap deals.

If you're not that nit-picky about image quality or construction, the 18-55mm will do just fine.

A used 18-70mm can be bought for ~$200, FYI.

I wouldn't recommend buying from ebay, since the morons there love to drive the prices of items way beyond what they're worth. Don't waste your time. Since you don't live in the states, you might also want to factor in any duties + local sales tax + shipping + possible brokerage fees (try to ship with a service that absorbs the brokerage fee into their standard rate) as well.

it's a personnal preference. the 28-88 will zoom more then the 18-55 or 18-70 but it's lacking of wide angle.

Unless you project to buy a wide angle zoom (around 12-24mm) which I don't think you will (very expensive), then I'd buy the 18-55mm from nikkor. If and only if you have the money, I'd buy a 18-200 as the standard lens. Could be from Tamron Tamron 2nd link or Sigma

I own the tamron and darn I love it!

If you're not that nit-picky about image quality or construction, the 18-55mm will do just fine.

A used 18-70mm can be bought for ~$200, FYI.

I wouldn't recommend buying from ebay, since the morons there love to drive the prices of items way beyond what they're worth. Don't waste your time. Since you don't live in the states, you might also want to factor in any duties + local sales tax + shipping + possible brokerage fees (try to ship with a service that absorbs the brokerage fee into their standard rate) as well.

Still even considering those factors, buyin from the states and shipping it in, is a lot cheaper than buy it where I live, Just so you get an idea, The cheapest price for the Rebel XT here is no LESS than

$1261.829 including only lens kit :| :no: and well ebay has nice prices for the nikon d50. I tried froogling a but the stores with good cheap bundles have very low merchants rating ( 2/5), or most over price the accesories.

www.bhphotovideo.com had almost my budget bundle, but when adding memory it went up to $790

So know of any other trustworthy/good merchant rating store, suggestions welcome!

I did find a nice bundle at for around $650 lens and memory http://www.onecall.com/ but they say "in order" aka "out of stock" :no:

it's a personnal preference. the 28-88 will zoom more then the 18-55 or 18-70 but it's lacking of wide angle.

Unless you project to buy a wide angle zoom (around 12-24mm) which I don't think you will (very expensive), then I'd buy the 18-55mm from nikkor. If and only if you have the money, I'd buy a 18-200 as the standard lens. Could be from Tamron Tamron 2nd link or Sigma

I own the tamron and darn I love it!

Well then it's the 18-55, I would like a nice macro lens, but those seem more expensive. Oh well, down the road I guess.

Edit: http://www.butterflyphoto.com/ seems to have reasonable price on body and accesories !

Edited by maudit

Man, I am so close to buying that from butterfly, such a great deal considering at the local Staples its 900 dollars for the same package...

Is butterflyphoto a reliable vendor?

Yeah it has awesome merchant ratings!!!

Man, I am so close to buying that from butterfly, such a great deal considering at the local Staples its 900 dollars for the same package...

yeah, I on the other side have to wait a month or so/till I get payed :no: But I think ebay is now off the list :D !

I edited my post. Have a look before your post

and like Monkeh said, yes they are one of the best sites to buy photo stock in usa from what I've heard

yeah, I on the other side have to wait a month or so/till I get payed :no: But I think ebay is now off the list :D !

No don't worry, I have to wait too, I have no money what so ever, i think my last balance was just around 50 dollars, lol. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for graduation, lol.

Don't buy Pentax they have lens problems. My gf had her Pentax open in the purse and the lens got jammed and wouldn't extend and said lens error. She had to send it away to get fixed.

B&H and Adorama. B&H has a brick and mortar store, I don't know about Adorama though.

I do know that they're two of the best places to buy photo equipment from.

I edited my post. Have a look before your post

and like Monkeh said, yes they are one of the best sites to buy photo stock in usa from what I've heard

The only thing I don't like about those two stores is the price :pinch: :no:

Don't buy Pentax they have lens problems. My gf had her Pentax open in the purse and the lens got jammed and wouldn't extend and said lens error. She had to send it away to get fixed.

Pentax dSLR ?