AutoPatcher XP April 2006

Hi, thank you for AutoPatcher, it's a terrific thing you've put together! :)

I was wondering, after installing the April Full AP, MSN Messenger didn't get updated to 7.5.0324. I actually didn't want it installed at the moment but saw it during the installation, so I guess the option was checked in the install list. Only afterwards Messenger was still 7.5.0322 - is there a reason some components don't get updated?

Cheers!

^maybe you had it running or something?

autopatcher runs the installer silently so if theres an error you might not see it. set the old messenger as you had it before (running/signed in/in conversation/whatever you were doing) and try running the installer manually to see if an error occurs. if so then you know now to close it first.

^maybe you had it running or something?

autopatcher runs the installer silently so if theres an error you might not see it. set the old messenger as you had it before (running/signed in/in conversation/whatever you were doing) and try running the installer manually to see if an error occurs. if so then you know now to close it first.

Thanks. Messenger wasn't signed in on this PC but it was started with Windows and I forgot to Exit the program before running AP. Next time I update I'll remember to shut Messenger down first :)

Cheers.

Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896256

KB896256

---------------------

is this fix included with the autopatcher?!

it solved my processor affinity problem on my 650 HT....

maybe you could include this too .... a lot of people have HT/Dual Core nowadays

THX

I have just installed AP for the first time ever. I installed the full version. I want to know if this is supposed to make it so i do not need to use windows update anymore? I really cannot stand using that site. Bill is a spy IMHO.

I'm sure AutoPatcher eliminates the need to visit Microsoft's site for updates - I haven't updated from there in five or so years, since I changed from Windows 2000 to XP.

as long as you use AutoPatcher every month, then there's no ned to visit WU/MU. (Unless you need generic MS drivers etc.)

Now that AP is installed, do i just need to run it once a month or do I need to download the new update and then run it. I see it in my programs list with run auto patcher in the pull down. So, I guess it could update itself when it is run.

I have just installed AP for the first time ever. I installed the full version. I want to know if this is supposed to make it so i do not need to use windows update anymore? I really cannot stand using that site. Bill is a spy IMHO.
I'm sure AutoPatcher eliminates the need to visit Microsoft's site for updates - I haven't updated from there in five or so years, since I changed from Windows 2000 to XP.
as long as you use AutoPatcher every month, then there's no ned to visit WU/MU. (Unless you need generic MS drivers etc.)

ap does not prevent you from using wu/mu if you want to still use it.

if you want to be on the cutting edge security wise, then wu/mu is still needed, autopatcher releases generally come out a week after microsoft releases the updates.

Now that AP is installed, do i just need to run it once a month or do I need to download the new update and then run it. I see it in my programs list with run auto patcher in the pull down. So, I guess it could update itself when it is run.

you can just download the update releases & install them directly over the top. when you run autopatcher the updates you already have installed will be deselected and colored blue, and you can just install the new ones.

note, if one month you find there is no update release for some reason, youll need to download a new full/lite release that month.

1000th post :cool:

so cool .. man i love you for this .. if u ever come into romania, please let me know .. i'll buy you a beer :D ..

anyway .. i'm kind of a power user so i'd really like a more complete collection of tools (like the ones you have in autopatcher and more) so can i ask you where do you get all the registry settings and tools .. some websites ?! please :D ..

thanks .. whatever the answer please reply .. ;)

have fun ..

Autopatcher newbee question here....Is there a pre service pack 2 version of the autopatcher? I have a older version of the XP cd, and it installs XP but not service pack 2, will the autopatcher automatically update my computer to service pack 2, or do I have to install service pack 2 first then use the autopatcher? Can someone please give me the correct steps as to how to install XP from my cd then whatever it takes to get my XP install to the latest version of XP with the minimum amount of downloads and installs. Thanks!

^ you need to get sp2 frst, then use autopatcher.

if you dont want your computer to be exposed to attack while downloading it, rather than using windows update, get hold of the full admin download and burn it to a cd. if you download it on a friends computer you can go ahead and just install it, otherwise if you get it with your own computer, you could be attacked while sitting online downloading it so reinstall windows afterwards.

you could also use autostreamer to make an xp sp2 install disk with your existing install disk and the sp2 admin download to save time with future installs.

^

im not including the activeX analyzer tool this month, it doesnt sound that importand/useful to me, however i will reconsider next month if theres demand for it.

another problem with it is the fact theres to versions, one for .net 1.1 and one for .net 2.0, we havent got detection for .net yet, so what do i do?

KB913433 will not be included either, it only affects flash player v6 and previous, the latest flash player (ignoring beta) is version 8.

the IE copy of flash player v8 has been updated with a newer setup file (see this), although detection will stay the same, and people will have to manually uninstall the old copy before installing this one.

i dont have time to create an installer to do an uninstall of the previous copy and such, really adobe should have done it themselves.

OK. Analyzer can kick in in June.

Didn't know that that KB was for older versions, thanks for informing me.

Just one thing...

another problem with it is the fact theres to versions, one for .net 1.1 and one for .net 2.0, we havent got detection for .net yet, so what do i do?

I don't get it. The AutoPatcher detection of .NET, you mean? It works fine to me. If you meant that, I recommend to include .NET 2.0 version.

If you have time, please correct the similar (like Flash) thing with Google Toolbar: AP detects the older version, and doesn't show the new one in "Windows AddOns".

And again problems with TweakUI: this time the "Control Panel shortcut" option doesn't work.

Thanks in advance ;)

Edited by xyz123

I don't get it. The AutoPatcher detection of .net, you mean? It works fine to me.

AutoPatcher can't differentiate between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0.

@xyz123, i dont know what you mean reguarding the google toolbar and tweakui cpl, they both seem to work fine for me... continue this discussion int he new thread if it still happens with the may release (remember to quote though), or create a seperate thread.

may release available here

thread closed

Edited by theblazingangel