Nintendo PR head explains "wii"

Let's also have in mind that maybe wii sounds weird in English, but nintendo's market is not only the US!

It for sure sounds kinda funny in all languages... so I guess just by putting a weird silly name that's the best publicity

playing the same game characters for the past 20 years has become very boring for me.

How about playing with the same 2D controller style for 20 years even when games are 3D? :whistle:

I am surprised at the maturity level of some individuals. They are thrashing a console just for its name. Who cares if its calle Wii? Hell, it can be called Sparkyblosson for all I care. If its good its good, doesnt matter the name.

Someone can say a name do matter since its the public image, well, is not the case with a company that its already settled in the market like nintendo and lets get real, game cube or xbox are not revolutionary names, but while the names are nothing imopressive the hardware in them it is.

A friend of mine who seems to hate anything and everything nintendo does was making fun of the name the other day. Saying stuff like "how dumb is it gonna be when you come over and ask me to play with your Wii?" and stuff like that. He also continues to maintain that the controllers are a horrible idea even though he refuses to use the analog sticks in current games, so I think he just fears change. Anyways, I just responded by saying "When have I ever asked you to come play with my playstation 2 or gamecube? I always ask something like you wanna come over and play <insert game title>?".

Well. I've gotten over making fun of the name now and, I've been thinking, if people are considering not buying the console for its name, then what is this world coming to?! I've been looking at names of products lately and nothing I've seen has a good name, but its still really popular. I think Wii will be one of the best consoles created. Forget names. Well, it would be kinda embarassing to end the names for games with "Wii". (Eg. <Game Name goes here> Wii)

I wouldn't call it a bad idea. A bad name? Yes. A bad idea? No.

Nintendo just pulled off a master marketting move. Despite the crap name, they just stole the spotlight just in time for E3, and have gotton loads apon loads of free advertising all across the internet + word of mouth. They probably just increased their future sales four - tenfold just by this little name change. :whistle:

Yeah but those people are hearing about it and going "what a bad name". Just because you hear about something doesn't mean it heard in a good way.

Oh my gawwwd, these companies really think up the bad names these days. I'll probably still buy one though haha

Yeah but those people are hearing about it and going "what a bad name". Just because you hear about something doesn't mean it heard in a good way.

EVERY promotion is a good promotion.

Even if people are talking bad about it, they are at least talking about it.

k0zy

lmao! i kinda agree with you, but i dont think nintendo is trying to compete with 360/ps3.. they're aiming to be a secondary console ..that you use when you feel like fishing with ur grandma. when ur done, you pop in Halo 3 and fire up your 360!

good post though :rofl:

I agree. I've been a die hard ninten-dude since NES. The only console I don't own is the Virtual Boy. And now it's harder and harder to get respect with a 'do system. In college when people want to game together, you don't go to a persons dorm and whip out a cube, because it has no fekin games. SSBM and MKDD are the only decent exclusive multiplayer games that exist. Sure you got your sports games, but you can play Madden on any system. When you want to game around here, you bust out your xbox and your copy of Halo and set up 16 man tourneys. No respect for a 'cube.

Every heard of "there is no such thing as bad publicity?" Think of all the "viral" commercials that "accidentally" hit the internet (like the VW terrorist one).

I can't say I'm fond of the new name, but I like how Wii opened up millions of possibilities for all kinds of lame jokes about its name. :D Maybe that's what Nintendo intended? It's certainly far less forgettable than boring names such as NDS, PSP, etc. Anyway, I still stand by my expectation that this console will attract non-passionate gamers like me who are sick of those repetitive FPS games with same controlling method, etc.

Anyway, I still stand by my expectation that this console will attract non-passionate gamers like me who are sick of those repetitive FPS games with same controlling method, etc.

Same thing here. FPS games are just plain boring with the current controller style. Sure they are fun at first but after a while the flashy graphics and repetitive gameplay get old. That's what I love about Nintendo. They are always being creative and are not afraid to come up with and put out a different genre. Isn't it sad that my favorite games are from the SNES?

"EVERY promotion is a good promotion.

Even if people are talking bad about it, they are at least talking about it."

Yeah, like the whole Sony rootkit thing. Everyone was talking about Sony, what great publicity that was for them! :rolleyes:

No. Not every promotion is a good promotion. If people are making fun of your product and saying it sucks, that is not good.

Every heard of "there is no such thing as bad publicity?" Think of all the "viral" commercials that "accidentally" hit the internet (like the VW terrorist one).

Its false. When was the last time you bought something after someone told you how bad it was ?

Its false. When was the last time you bought something after someone told you how bad it was ?

parents: drugs & alcohol are bad

kid: *goes and buys beer & weed*