The Wii

Before we start: I am FOR the Wii, I will likely pick one up if its price is low like the GC was.

I was sat about today reading up on the Nintendo Wii and a thought crossed my mind,

this thought was 'What exactly is next-gen about the Wii'

It has no HDTV support

It has no Hard-Drive (though it has some storage I think?)

It's visuals are not fantastic - more gamecube than x360.

It's only plus point is something not actually tied to the console - a controller. Any of the other consoles could impliment this if not for the patents.

... it does look nice though.

Everyone is jumping around like pet monkey's claiming that Next Gen conforms to the following;

Cinema Graphics

Hard Drives

Stupid Price

Nintendo has just taken a different Next Gen route, it's done something totally different; made a whole new generation of console;

One that makes you leap around the living room and interact with a game instead of sitting staring at the screen like a mindless zombie,

Has graphics claimed to be on par with the 360 (we have only seen blurry Red Steel shots so far!) and

A reasonable price tag!

May entice MORE gamers to use it including more females which is Next Gen!

I believe that it is Next Gen, it's just like Nintendo said, its taken a different path and hasn't conformed with the stereotypical Next Gen image.

What Nintendo appear to be focusing on is innovating the games rather than the system.

Hopefully this is so, I even dare say that if anyone wants the standard fare of current games, go for something else, if you want a unique gaming experience, go for a Wii (Ugh, bring back Revolution - I sound like I want people to urinate).

Odds are the Wii will get some of the more popular cross platform releases, but I see little point in buying a unique system to play games I can play on my other consoles.

My girlfriend will be picking up one of these when they are released, will be good to see what 'N' can do.

Online capabilities, and the visuals will be a vast improvement on the gamecube. Just because the clock will be that of the original xbox doesn't mean they can't utilise new graphic improvements. Ofcourse though the graphics aren't as 'next-gen' as the 360 or PS3 but Nintendo prefers not going that way.

One thing I may add is that the Wiimote isn't exactly original:

DreamcastWond.jpg

A sequel to NiGHTS was planned, and supposedly was intended to use a tilt sensor in the analogue pad. Development of this was discontinued (apparently due to quality issues). Another sequel for the Sega Dreamcast was discussed, using a motion-sensing wand as a controller, but this was also discontinued. Rumour had it that this tilt controller was also going to be used for Sega?s Super Monkey Ball, another title that was discontinued for the Dreamcast.

Everyone is jumping around like pet monkey's claiming that Next Gen conforms to the following;

Cinema Graphics

Hard Drives

Stupid Price

True, and so far at least 360 WONT make full use of its HD as far as we know, maybe Ps3 will? Wii will have storage anyway so thats a moot point.

Stupid price is something Wii won't suffer from.

Cinema graphics neither PS3 nor 360 will truly achieve they'll probably keep this fugly plastic crap up as long as possible and the horrid "bloom" and blur effects.

Wii is a horrible name though.

Wii is a horrible name though.

firstly, yes i agree - 'wii' is a horrible name and i think it was a mistake to change it from revolution despite what they seem to think. Also, all 'next gen' means is the next generation of consoles, so it doesnt matter what features they include in it, quite simply it is the next in their line of consoles, which by nature makes it next generation. Also, i would be inclined to say that nintendo always try for a different route to other console manufacturers, as, whilst playstation and xbox basically just bring out an updated version of their old console, which is (before i too get my head bitten off, i do own a 360 so i am not against that concept) pretty drab, nothing new shy of a bit better graphics, and at the end of the day,i would prefer to have an extremely innovative and enjoyable game with worse graphics, then one that looks like im sitting in the cinema and i am going to get bored of after a week and a half (as has been the case with most 360 games i have owned...)

At first I did think Wii was a horrible name but I think that's sorta what they had in mind. They want something completely wierd and different, something that separates them from the other consoles.

AZKABAZ if you read my post you'd have seen that your just mentioning the controller, which i've already covered.

its nothing next-gen at all. any console can do it and infact the dreamcast DID it.

AZKABAZ if you read my post you'd have seen that your just mentioning the controller, which i've already covered. its nothing next-gen at all.

They just explained to you that "next gen" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. It is Nintendo's next generation console, that's all it means. It does not have to have amazing HD holographic emitters or a 750GB SATA hard drive. Sheesh...

AZKABAZ if you read my post you'd have seen that your just mentioning the controller, which i've already covered. its nothing next-gen at all.

They just explained to you that "next gen" doesn't mean what you seem to think it means. It is Nintendo's next generation console, that's all it means. It does not have to have amazing HD holographic emitters or a 750GB SATA hard drive. Sheesh...

Indeed, the dilithium crystal matrix could ne take it, it does ne have the powurrr...

And besides, that would be illiogical (aka, poking fun at your avatar :p )

j/k, but couldnt resist :D

And besides, that would be illiogical (aka, poking fun at your avatar :p )

Fascinating... :)

Back to the Wii, as much as I hate the name I hope it beats the competition this time around. It's time Sony and their arrogance got knocked off their perch. They're just using the PS3 to push Blu-Ray into being the new standard, instead of concentrating on what gamers actually want. A game system doesn't need a Blu-Ray drive, it just needs good games.

Edited by TRC

Personally I've been pretty underwhelmed by the first next-gen console, the X360. I own an Xbox already and ironically will more than likely get one when Halo 3 comes out as that's the killer app for me but, I have Burnout Revenge on the xbox and my housemate has it on the 360.

Ok it looks awesome in high-def, I adore the graphics but I can't help but think that he's just paid ?50 for a game that in terms of gameplay is the same as my xbox version. PS3 and xbox360 games are gonna look even better when they start to exploit the hardware, and online play is a lot of fun, but all of this doesn't really excite me that much.

I think that's because it's more of the same current-gen games with bells and whistles on e.g. better textures, better draw distances, polygon counts, physics etc.

Frankly I'd be dissapointed to know that if Sony's plans for the PS4 were that it was just gonna be faster than the PS3 with a bigger hard disk etc. I think that kind of attitude isn't really pushing the industry forward.

To be honest I slated the DS when it came out and saw the dual screen thing as a massive gimmick, but having eventually picked up a Ds lite my PSP is getting neglected just because the DS games are just...fun, I guess. For that reason I applaud Nintendo for going down this route, at least it's generating interest in the games industry again.

I think Microsoft and Sony have done a pretty damn good job of convincing people that next-gen is equal to better hardware. What's so "innovative" and "next-gen" about simply bumping up specs, which has been a common practice since the beginning of gaming industry? Both Xbox360 and PS3, while indisputably powerful, are nothing more than evolved form of the previous versions, and obviously nobody in the future will remember them as something groundbreaking that changed the landscape of gaming world. The Wii, on the other hand, is destined to open up a whole new world of possibilities for the way games are to be played unless Nintendo completely messes it up. When PSP and NDS came out, everyone was wowed by PSP's powerful hardware and its impressive multimedia capabilities, but in the end NDS proved to be the ultimately fun gaming machine. While I'm reserving my conclusive judgement until Wii comes out, I must admit I have more faith in Nintendo than I do in Sony or MS.

The nintendo remote is different then all the other companies that tried it.

IT can sense a lot more . Direction depth speed angles.

You can swing it like a golf club. The remote will be able to detect how fast you swung the contyrolelr what directions. So that like in real golf if your swing is off your ball wont go straight.

Also every person who has tried it so far has been impressed.

Don't beleive me? Read the newest Time magazine article.

its important to understand something about originality. nintendo hasn't always been the first to bring on their 'innovations', but they've always been the first to really employ them the right way.

nintendo has always held back major modifications to their consoles until they felt they could do them justice. this is true of online capability, hard drives, high def, cd/dvd drives, the remote, etc. jumping the gun and using a new technology to sell your console is relying on cheap tricks (rather expensive ones actually) to get folks to jump on your bandwagon. Nintendo isnt pushing you to get broadband, its not pushing you to get an HDTV, its waiting for you to have these things, and incorporating them into their system.

nintendo has always held back major modifications to their consoles until they felt they could do them justice. this is true of online capability, hard drives, high def, cd/dvd drives

Actually the Super Nintendo was supposed to have a CD-ROM addon, and they signed a deal with Sony to make it for them. Nintendo wasn't happy with the deal though so they broke the contract (without even telling Sony) and ran to Philips and made a deal with them to make the addon. That deal fell through also, and Nintendo ended up shooting themselves twice. Philips got the rights to make a bunch of shoddy CD-i games based on Zelda and Mario. The unit Sony was making for them was already well into development; it was code named "Play Station". I'm sure everyone knows the rest of the story...

Frankly I'd be dissapointed to know that if Sony's plans for the PS4 were that it was just gonna be faster than the PS3 with a bigger hard disk etc. I think that kind of attitude isn't really pushing the industry forward.

Why would you be dissapointed, it's the only likely course for Sony. PS3 is just a faster PS2 with the hard drive accessory. Xbox 360 is just a faster Xbox and a bigger hard drive.

nintendo has always held back major modifications to their consoles until they felt they could do them justice. this is true of online capability, hard drives, high def, cd/dvd drives

Actually the Super Nintendo was supposed to have a CD-ROM addon, and they signed a deal with Sony to make it for them. Nintendo wasn't happy with the deal though so they broke the contract (without even telling Sony) and ran to Philips and made a deal with them to make the addon. That deal fell through also, and Nintendo ended up shooting themselves twice. Philips got the rights to make a bunch of shoddy CD-i games based on Zelda and Mario. The unit Sony was making for them was already well into development; it was code named "Play Station". I'm sure everyone knows the rest of the story...

I wouldn't say they shot themselves too badly by not bringing the addon out at all, if the SegaCD's success or lack thereof is any indication.

Although giving Sony the hardware to come back and beat them definately wasn't that good for them. But given what Sony was asking for, I'd have dropped out of the deal too.

Before we start: I am FOR the Wii, I will likely pick one up if its price is low like the GC was.

I was sat about today reading up on the Nintendo Wii and a thought crossed my mind,

this thought was 'What exactly is next-gen about the Wii'

It has no HDTV support

It has no Hard-Drive (though it has some storage I think?)

It's visuals are not fantastic - more gamecube than x360.

It's only plus point is something not actually tied to the console - a controller. Any of the other consoles could impliment this if not for the patents.

... it does look nice though.

Well, considering how Nintendo are looking to completely transform the way that you interact with video games in order to make them more intuitive, more immersive, and more fun.... Putting out the same old games that we've played in the same old way for the last 20 years all of a suddenly looks decidedly last-generation...

Do keep up, Sony and Microsoft :)

I wouldn't say they shot themselves too badly by not bringing the addon out at all, if the SegaCD's success or lack thereof is any indication.

Perhaps, but then again I believe Nintendo would have handled it much better. Sony certainly had no trouble selling Playstations. The way Sega was going about things after the Genesis (32X, Sega-CD, etc) was pathetic. The problem with the Sega CD was that the games were either complete garbage (the full motion video titles) or basically the same as the cartridge versions with CD music tacked on. There were a few good releases but overall for what the thing cost it was a complete ripoff.

I am all about the system. I realize that it isn't next gen graphics, compared to the 360. The emphasis will be on fun, interactive games. It sounds like a good idea to me.

BUT...................

It is inexcusable to not implement HDTV. The Wii will look like crap on an HDTV. I understand that it takes more processing power to get higher resolution, which may be one reason for the Wii's insistance on standard TV, but, In this day in age, HDTV sales are going high, and are only going to get higher. I think this is a BIG mistake. I am a huge fan, but, this could be a dealbreaker for me. :(

I am all about the system. I realize that it isn't next gen graphics, compared to the 360. The emphasis will be on fun, interactive games. It sounds like a good idea to me.

BUT...................

It is inexcusable to not implement HDTV. The Wii will look like crap on an HDTV. I understand that it takes more processing power to get higher resolution, which may be one reason for the Wii's insistance on standard TV, but, In this day in age, HDTV sales are going high, and are only going to get higher. I think this is a BIG mistake. I am a huge fan, but, this could be a dealbreaker for me. :(

Oh please. Stop your whining. If you're such a "huge fan", you'll get one regardless.

While the hardcore gamer contigent might have a decent HDTV penetration, the market at large does not, and that's what Nintendo is going for. When less than 10% of your target demo has HDTV, does it make business sense to incur all the extra costs of making games HD compliant, when a tiny majority of your users are going to see any benefit?

Look at the gamecube. They took out the digital AV output when they realized no one was using component output cables with it. Did people stop buying gamecubes?