The Wii

jack your right lol bout dvd's being 480 dunno where I got 720 ><........ maybe from a dvd player saying it upscaled to 720p. Anyways I think 720p would be meeting people half way specailly for a console that is to last our pending tv upgrades in the next few years.

Also my projector is a widescreen projector =) only thing though 480i/p is not normally widescreen, it is normally 4:3 640x480 so that bothers me a bit. It can only mean they are shaving some stuff off with black bars meaning a regular tv will give you more native viewing area. And I do not think they can turn it into an odd resolution because tv's aren't like monitors.

I would honestly be surprised if most of the games on the Wii did not output at 480p widescreen (~850x480). a 480 resolution has usually meant 4:3 until now because 16x9 TVs have been basically non-existent until 6 years ago or so. But even a number of PS2 and gamecube games have an option to output a widescreen image instead of a 4:3 image. I would only expect that trend to increase with the Wii.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, even "meeting people halfway" at 720p would mean a lot of added costs for Nintendo and the game developers. Additional hardware in the console itself. Increased development costs for games. Nintendo probably crunched the numbers, and found that the costs were not worth the minimal gain.

Much of the talk about the Wii right now is dogging Nintendo for not utilizing HD. But if you think about it, the only people that ARE talking at all are the ones that follow E3, spend time on websites like this one. And they are the people that are much more likely to already have HD sets. The huge majority of Nintendo's demographic is not following E3, doesn't spend hours looking up the latest news on a console that's 6 months away, and probably doesn't have an HDTV.

What's the most appealing thing about the Wii right now (besides the controller). It's price. $250, possibly even $199. And games will be around $30-$40 instead of $50-$60. If the Wii was up there with the 360 in terms of price and the games cost the same, now people have a choice. Wii or 360. But with the Wii at the price point it's at, it's not even a choice. Anyone with less than 400 bucks in their pocket is gonna like the look of the Wii. And parents looking for a console for their kids? Come on, it's not even a competition.

Okay If you guys think Nintendo is going to get more market share because of its controller you are sadly mistaken. Because it poor graphics compared to the other two, the only people that are going to be interested in this console are the hardcore fans, mark my words.

You guys don't realize the consumer target for video games is purely interested only in (graphics and good games) I can't tell you how many people I know bought an Xbox because it had better graphics.

And as for HDTVs I am starting to see any increase in use now. Most the retails I visit on a basis don't carry SDTVs and pretty much every house in my apartement complex has one.

Well, I'm glad you were able to get such definitive figures based on your own apartment building and the retail stores in your area. i'm sure you've visited every apartment in your building? Or have you just been in the apartments of your friends, who are more likely to have similar interests as you, interests such as technology, gaming and HDTVs...

you people need to think outside your own box. there is an entire world out there, and most of it is not full of Neowinians, techies, "must have the newest coolest tech"ies, etc.

PREDICTION: Nintendo wont be able to make the Wiis fast enough, honestly if the interest at E3 is any indication, this thing is gunna take off like the total amount of STDs in a overworked hooker (and yes i see the irony of comparing a hooker to nintendo sales) hehehehhe

yea the Wii will surely sell out a lot better than the 360 or the ps3. Even with games on the xbox and ps2 I felt like I was playing rehashes of older games with prettier gfx, and the wow factor for pretty usually last for all of 15 minutes then you realize your playing game with crappy gameplay. And well yea nintendo does rehash their franchises which is why I don't play the GC either..but it seems Wii will be different. In the past 5 years I played PS2 the most then the xbox then the GC I played once, so am I a hardcore nintendo fan?

PREDICTION: Nintendo wont be able to make the Wiis fast enough, honestly if the interest at E3 is any indication, this thing is gunna take off like the total amount of STDs in a overworked hooker (and yes i see the irony of comparing a hooker to nintendo sales) hehehehhe

Mmm, I think you might see higher than predicted sales initially, but I think eventually you might see sales of new systems dip a bit because there are bound to be people that buy it to try the new controller and for whatever reason are turned off by it. They'll trade it in or sell it on eBay, leading to people buying barely used systems.

I think Nintendo will do well with the Wii, but I don't think it's going to be outrageous. The lines at E3 are so long right now because it's just so new. It's one thing to check out the Halo 3 trailer or see a Gears of War demo, but who in their right mind wouldn't get in line to try the wii remote, regardless of what game is playing?

Well, I'm glad you were able to get such definitive figures based on your own apartment building and the retail stores in your area. i'm sure you've visited every apartment in your building? Or have you just been in the apartments of your friends, who are more likely to have similar interests as you, interests such as technology, gaming and HDTVs...

you people need to think outside your own box. there is an entire world out there, and most of it is not full of Neowinians, techies, "must have the newest coolest tech"ies, etc.

exactly, thank you....that needed saying.

set aside the politics and the fanboy chanting and i honestly have to say its not a name brand or numbers that pulls me in, its a game and PLAYING it for the Wii and i havent felt this excited since saw the first screenshots of Mario 64 coming out of japan in EGM! :)

• 2 months later...

I think they were drunk and stoned when they made up that stupid, fruity, **** ant, gay little name "wii". I am not capitalising it on purpose because I have no respect for it.

Edit: Holy crap, that was a big bump.

I think they were drunk and stoned when they made up that stupid, fruity, **** ant, gay little name "wii". I am not capitalising it on purpose because I have no respect for it.

Thanks for bumping this really great thread with this really great post.

People who say "gay" in this context turn me on. You're soooo cool for using that word.

Man, can't believe I read through until page 5 of this thread until I got to the new post which was so dissapointingly useless.

Change is always a good thing, especially when it's from Nintendo because they know what to do. I'm a die-hard Sony fan, but the Wii looks amazing and will be bought before Christmas. :D

PS3 will follow when the price drops. :laugh:

Edit: 720p is recognized as SD, and SDTV's are cheaper than HDTV's and this is the same resolution as DVD are when you use the component out, which few currently use(most use s-video or composite)

composite(480i), component(720p, or 1080i) not sure if component can do 1080p but component is the analog version of hd vs the digital HDMI or DVI.

480i is SD, ANYTHING higher is called something else. 480p is EDTV, 720p and up HDTV. DVDs unless upsampled are 480i/p.

Component can do 1080p, it's also able to carry a basic 480i signal. One of the most versatile connections out there.