PS3 to come with Full Linux

Way to kill your already prone to failing multiplayer aspect of your console, Sony. (Y)

bye bye PS3

Go back to your lairs trolls.

Go back to your lairs trolls.

Ya no kidding, how can you see this as a BAD thing? Sure there are bad aspects such as viruses/hackers but c'mon SONY of all companies is shipping Linux with the PS3.

Ya no kidding, how can you see this as a BAD thing? Sure there are bad aspects such as viruses/hackers but c'mon SONY of all companies is shipping Linux with the PS3.

Er, viruses on Linux? :no: :wacko:

:laugh:

For once, Sony have done something good with the PS3 :yes:

:yes:

This might win me back to the PS3, as I already jumped ship to the Wii.

I'm not a console person but this is still a very good thing in my eyes. I think it's what made the PSP so big the ability to be modded. PC's are big mostly because they're useful but you can do SO much with them, PSP's are the same, they were bought out for games/music and suddenly you can play loads of games on them and they're essentially a PDA. I think if they make PS3 just as moddable and don't have all the 'security' features it'll be alot more popular.

As for the piracy I see that as a plus too, if I could get free games then I would consider buying a PS3, as I don't like paying for a console and then for the games too and then for the online packages and then for extra controllers and loads of other stuff, I'd rather make one payment and that be that. But then if I were to buy the PS3 because I thought I'd be able to get away with a one time paymenet I would end up getting PS3 peripherals and games for my birthday/Xmas/whenever I had spare money laying around.

I know they'll make a loss on consoles, I havn't been following PS3's but they generally make a loss on consoles and then a profit on games, and I think that this will help them in that more people will buy the console in the view of making that one time paymenet and end up buying stuff extra anyway and sony making more money.

i can see this being used as a hacking device... and people using this to help play burned copies of games...

microsoft took the approperiate steps to prevent this, by not including a full version of windows in it's 360.

windows on 360? yeah thats what we all want. spyware and viruses on our 360's too.

Cool. But I'm wondering how this will work. When booting the PS3, you'll probably get to the dashboard by default. Will they have an option in the dashboard to access the full distro, or will you have to press a combination of buttons on the controller while booting? Either way, as long as they keep this 'hidden' from the average joe, it's good.

As for this helping piracy, that's not nesessarily true. The PS3 could have DRM hardware that's triggered when inserting a game CD.

Finally, I can see this having an impact outside of the consumer world. The cell processor would be especially good for applications such as medical imaging. Having the PS3 with a full linux distro could be a very attractive workstation.

@MrA: when you turn it on (with no game in) you'll be presented with the XMB just like the PSP's. Then you'd probably just have to select Linux under HDD. (This is not official, just what I think it'll be like, although the XMB is just like the PSP's)

windows on 360? yeah thats what we all want. spyware and viruses on our 360's too.

The XBOX 360 already runs Windows (the NT line, the XBOX has a modified version of Windows 2000 powering it), as does the original XBOX. It's just been modified to be optimized for games and multimedia, and with the lack of ability to run your own programs on it.

The XBOX 360 already runs Windows (the NT line, the XBOX has a modified version of Windows 2000 powering it), as does the original XBOX. It's just been modified to be optimized for games and multimedia, and with the lack of ability to run your own programs on it.

Sorry but youre wrong. X360 dont have any piece of Windows (Xbox1 has Win2000 custom kernel) and yes a specially developed operating system for it running native at G5.

hmmm... Wii gets Opera... and Sony unoffically with the linux gets firefox.... I wonder who's gonna gain more users :shiftyninja: :laugh: :laugh:

A little bit of piracy helps companies.

Well, it can't help that much if they're losing money on each system. Even though more people might buy the console, they're losing hundreds on each one. Most console companies make money fromt the games that are sold and if they're just being pirated, they won't be making money.

hmmm... Wii gets Opera... and Sony unoffically with the linux gets firefox.... I wonder who's gonna gain more users :shiftyninja: :laugh: :laugh:

You are not letting go of your browser war over here too :p

Why would you want an OS on your GAMING console. Don't have a PC?

(Y)

Why would you want an OS on your GAMING console. Don't have a PC?

Exactly what I was thinking. Microsoft did a good job on the Xbox 360 by just making the OS do media and gaming-related functions. The extender does an awesome job of extending those capabilities to being a PVR and more.

Running a full-blown Linux OS on a gaming console seems fairly pointless to me. I have multiple computers around here for that.

LOL, I can't seem to understand how a feature as good as this is making people angry, I mean, The 360 is superior in price/features but it's not sane and doesn't make any sense to say this is no good is like saying why having scheduler and office tools on a cellphone don't you have a PC, or why having a Media Center, don't you have a Tivo (even this runs Linux) or DVD player, for once they are doing something great and people are making bad comments LOL. I think it's valid to bash the PS3 for its price, that is ridiculous.

LOL, I can't seem to understand how a feature as good as this is making people angry, I mean, The 360 is superior in price/features but it's not sane and doesn't make any sense to say this is no good is like saying why having scheduler and office tools on a cellphone don't you have a PC, or why having a Media Center, don't you have a Tivo (even this runs Linux) or DVD player, for once they are doing something great and people are making bad comments LOL. I think it's valid to bash the PS3 for its price, that is ridiculous.

Agreed. I have been noticing it too. Bashing PS3 for a reason is one thing but this is getting ridiculous. The question is WHY NOT have it? And don't say i have a PC for that. Just because it comes with Linux doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Sheesh some of you will never truly appreciate something because your too blind.

Agreed. I have been noticing it too. Bashing PS3 for a reason is one thing but this is getting ridiculous. The question is WHY NOT have it? And don't say i have a PC for that. Just because it comes with Linux doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. Sheesh some of you will never truly appreciate something because your too blind.

I agree with both of... Sony never really was popular here on neowin to begin with I think and well, it's a windows-site so to say, hence the bias towards Microsoft, which I can fully understand... but some people could grow up a bit and be glad something like this is happening...

Personally, I'm glad the PS3 will feature a full linux distro, this'll make it probably easier from homebrew applications to run, maybe some emulators for old(er) systems - it will probably enhance multimedia capabilities (yay! XViD capable console I hope)

I just wonder how many of the people bashing the PS3 in this thread alone are running the original Xbox with XBMC - which is basically something you could achieve with Linux on the PS3 as well...

^^ Try google translate.

This is just getting sad. Nobody is gonna force you to use it. Maybe somebody is gonna need it. Its linux its not like you have to pay for it.