PS3 to come with Full Linux

A little bit of piracy helps companies.

It may help get market share but overall it doesn't help at all. All it's going to do is raise prices for the legitimate users and buyers.

No it doesnt, sick of people blaming piracy on high prices, its companies inflating the prices because they are "next gen" and to recoup R&D and money lost on the building of each console.

PC Games are the most pirated games yet they are ?15-20 cheaper than console games.

This is great news, but I still don't see how they can call it a multimedia computer while giving it only a 60GB hdd. It would be awesome if you could by a PS3 with one of those new 750GB perpendicular storage drive (even a 300GB drive would be nice and more cost effective).

Ok, so what i have read, it's going to be like this

Game > PS3

Linux > PS3

Linux Game > Linux > PS3

not

Game > Linux > PS3

Your not forced to run Linux, and it wont slow games down as it isn't running all the time, only when you start it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and we are/were on digg.

This is great news, but I still don't see how they can call it a multimedia computer while giving it only a 60GB hdd. It would be awesome if you could by a PS3 with one of those new 750GB perpendicular storage drive (even a 300GB drive would be nice and more cost effective).

You'll be able to upgrade it yourself.

The PS3 is expensive enough with a 60GB hard drive - I don't even want to imagine how much they'd charge if it came with a 300GB hard drive.

It seems that Sony has created a following that will defend them to the death. Or spend time on the internet doing so.. only if they were paid for this service.

About 2 minutes and 30 seconds into this video you can see a preview of Linux running on the PS3. Its playing that Killzone trailer. Nice wallpaper lol.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=...l=game&type=mov

If only these GDC trailers were realtime.

You know that's a joke right? It's part of the MGS4 trailer shown at TGS last year. Look you can see a little cartoon Otacon in the corner.

Face it, your paying for a computer, why not get the full capacity of it?

In the case of the PS3, you are getting a special-purpose computer. The Cell is tailored for floating-point intensive applications (read DSP-like), not general-purpose computing (read integer math). You may be able to run OpenOffice or Firefox on it, but unless you can compile them to run from the 8 SPUs, you will have a very slow computer compared with what the same amont will buy of x86 computing power. And the idea of writing a C compiler for the SPU scares the hell out of me. If you are stuck with the APU (the PPC-like core), you have something like a Pentium II with the latest-and-greates ATI Radeon or NVidia board - Great 3D, but takes ten minutes to start a web browser.

Of all three current-generation consoles, the XBox 360 is the one that would, probably, be the best desktop computer - because the XCPU has 3 dual-threaded PPC cores, each with its own vector processing unit and we already know how to compile software for their instruction-set. If an XCPU ends up in a ATX motherboard, I will buy it.

It seems that Sony has created a following that will defend them to the death. Or spend time on the internet doing so.. only if they were paid for this service.

Why not mention the other group while your at it? The ones who will bash Sony to death. No matter what kind of news comes out of thier mouths they will be bashed for it.

I still think, IF Sony isn't exagerating, this something that could be useful. Look what people on the PSP. Sony themselves said they wanted user created content..so i hope this is the solution.

Why not mention the other group while your at it? The ones who will bash Sony to death. No matter what kind of news comes out of thier mouths they will be bashed for it.

Exactly... I just like to remain neutral. I really didn't rate the PS or PS2, mainly because the graphics were quite poor and the game selection was very bland. However, the PS3 is looking pretty good, mainly because of the Blu-Ray drive being built in - considering the price of Blu-Ray players on their own is expected to be over $500 then the PS3 is darn good value. You'll also have the tilt sensor for developers that choose to use it, though it obviously won't be used anything like that of the Wii.

Still, I'm going to wait and see. Sony have a tendency to hype products and over-exaggerate their ability, so I'd much rather remain cautious. As for being able to run Linux... I see that as a good thing - they're worried about the competition (and rightly so), so they're trying to build up a hi-tech community to create unique content and expose aspects of the device they hadn't considered (the opposite of their position with the PSP, which always seemed like a mistake).

You know that's a joke right? It's part of the MGS4 trailer shown at TGS last year. Look you can see a little cartoon Otacon in the corner.

:no: Curse digg.com

I don't think that the Linux kit even has access (drivers) for the fancy 3D harware in the PS3. Just going to be a basic Linux, I think...

I think it will. Why give it a full distro with dev tools if you're not gonna have good hardware support? Granted, things like blu-ray playback you won't be able to do in linux, but for the most part, I think it will be unrestricted. And considering nVidia's linux support, I'm hopeful. Plus, it's not as if commercial gave devs are gonna use linux. They're gonna use sony's own kernel, optimised for games and with DRM and all that other "goodness".

so what? i can buy a $100 linux box and it can do more crap than the ps3 linux.

No, you can do everything you can do on that $100 box, and more. Run linux (on a powerful CPU), play games, watch blu-ray movies. Think real-time HD encoding, a possibility that you just can't do on that $100 box. Come to think of, I might get a PS3 and use it as my desktop. A cheap, powerful desktop.

In the case of the PS3, you are getting a special-purpose computer. The Cell is tailored for floating-point intensive applications (read DSP-like), not general-purpose computing (read integer math). You may be able to run OpenOffice or Firefox on it, but unless you can compile them to run from the 8 SPUs, you will have a very slow computer compared with what the same amont will buy of x86 computing power. And the idea of writing a C compiler for the SPU scares the hell out of me. If you are stuck with the APU (the PPC-like core), you have something like a Pentium II with the latest-and-greates ATI Radeon or NVidia board - Great 3D, but takes ten minutes to start a web browser.

Of all three current-generation consoles, the XBox 360 is the one that would, probably, be the best desktop computer - because the XCPU has 3 dual-threaded PPC cores, each with its own vector processing unit and we already know how to compile software for their instruction-set. If an XCPU ends up in a ATX motherboard, I will buy it.

I don't think the APU is as slow as you say. It's more more like a PPC970FX, without the out-of-order execution part, which you could compare to a CPU between the P3 & P4. So programs like FF or OOo will run about the same speed as your desktop. Now the SPEs, they're fairly useless for most programs. No branch-prediction is probably what really does it in. But highly parallel programs like video encoders/decoders, matrix calculation stuff (Matlab, Octave) and 3D renderers can make very efficient use of the SPEs.

As for programming the SPEs, you have two options. High-level language (C, C++, FORTRAN, etc) or assembly. Writing a C compiler is not necessary, you already have a good one, GCC. As long as you're using 4.1 or later, you can use auto-vectorizing. Granted, you have to write the backend, but that's a much smaller task than writing a complete compiler.

Now out of the two, for a general-purpose desktop, I'll agree that the 360's CPU (call it XCPU) is much better. But each core on the XCPU CPU is almost the same as the APU with a few tweaks (single-cycle dot product). Both are out-of-order units, not much better (if at all) than a PPC970. You're better off with a quad-core G5 PowerMac. Now if you're gonna argue that the vector unit on the XCPU is better than the PPC970, then I'll agree. But on that note, the cell kills them both.

Anywho, that's all I want to say. Hopefully, I sounded intelligent (sp?) making this post.

What I'm interested in is the license. You can have the kernel (linux) be gpl but that doesn't require that the rest of the stuff be so. A.K.A Debian. Debian is able to run ontop of all sorts of kernels. So i'm curious if they are packaging the kernel then a whole slew of proprietary crap? And what happens if you want to wipe the hard drive and install a 3rd party distro? Does it do some sort of checksum?

Wow, the ps3 is a pc?

Thats a useless buy considering we all have one.

Yeah, such a useless feature. Why did they include a USB port, I don't need that either. God Sony is so stupid supplying features people don't need, it really hurts my feelings. Component video, I don' t need that either. </sarcasm>

LOL, I can't seem to understand how a feature as good as this is making people angry, I mean, The 360 is superior in price/features but it's not sane and doesn't make any sense to say this is no good is like saying why having scheduler and office tools on a cellphone don't you have a PC, or why having a Media Center, don't you have a Tivo (even this runs Linux) or DVD player, for once they are doing something great and people are making bad comments LOL. I think it's valid to bash the PS3 for its price, that is ridiculous.

Nicely said.