fat32 or ntfs

I want to set security options and access rights for different users on one computer...

In Microsoft documentation i read that i have to use a NTFS a partition to do so but i also read somewhere that NTFS partitions suck...

Can somebody help me?

You've read something that was wrong, NTFS permissions dont suck.

There used to be issues with very old games not running on NTFS, some people claim speed issues (which are generally unfounded), but thats about it.

What will will actaully have is a nice a secure (if configured) FS, which keeps itself in pretty good working order.

Jon

well, i've already tried running my system on both the fat32 and nfts format ..and to be honest, i don't see a difference in performance (although it is a lot faster to defrag on a ntfs)..but you do get those security features on ntfs...so, unless you really need the security it doesn't matter which one you go with...i'm on an ntfs format right now

ntfs is the only way to go

security

speed

more disk space

reliability

ntfs has this all over fat32

u can use partition magic to convert to ntfs, try a google search there are hundreds of articles about the differences

Originally posted by Jon

Lightfast, you should be using the recovery console from the XP cd to fix any problems.

Recovery console is pretty useless above the windows folder.

However ..

I used to be a FAT32 nut .. but now I'm running 160 GB worth of NTFS (2 x 80 GB) no problemo.

Speed is about the same but NTFS is waaay more stable .... It doesn't need to run chkdsk on a crash because NTFS knows exactly where it is all the time.

I haven't seen ANY compatability issues while using NTFS.

I actually use the recovery all the time, its fine.

Its also very useful for fixing hdd related errors ,chkdsk, fixmbr etc, replacing the odd corrupt file.

They are really the only reasons I've ever had to use the recovery console, pretty much everything else can be done from safe mode, I've never needed to boot from a floppy disk. (and I've probably got more experience with xp 'issues' than most of you (member of an MS pilot xp deployment (that started a yr ago)to a local council (3500 machines). bleh :) )

edit:

It doesn't need to run chkdsk on a crash because NTFS knows exactly where it is all the time.

That is actually wrong, it doesnt magically fix itself in EVERY case (most though). I've had several instances of broken ata66 cables causing random crashes, resulting in a bluescreen on boot, only resovable by chkdsk from the recovery console.

All the folks here are right NTFS is the way to go, most definitely. I notice a nice peformance increase over FAT32. Plus NTFS arranges your files for quicker access, so when you defrag with NTFS its much faster I notice. Also on a side note, people who running fat32 who don't wanna format or lose any data, they can use microsoft's utility convert.exe to switch to NTFS(simple and easy to use), its already on ur puter. That way you dont have to use Partition magic.

Originally posted by Barisko

I want to set security options and access rights for different users on one computer...

In Microsoft documentation i read that i have to use a NTFS a partition to do so but i also read somewhere that NTFS partitions suck...

Can somebody help me?

Quoted Directly from the MCSE Training Kit

"FAT And FAT32 don't offer many of the features of that NTFS supports-- for example, file-level security. Therefore, in most situations, you should format the hard disk with NTFS. The only reason to use FAT or FAT32 is for DUAL BOOTING. If you're setting up a computer for dual booting, you would have to format only the system partition as FAT or FAT32. For example, if drive C is the system partition you could format drive C as FAT or FAT32 and format D as NTFS"

Source: Microsoft MCSE Training Kit Windows 2000 Professional

Originally posted by NeonGenesis

I just installed 2k on this system with FAT32. Converting to NTFS would prevent me from swapping files with other FAT32 systems on my home network, correct?

No, That is incorrect, sending files across your network, will not have any problem. the problem only lives on 9x/ME IF its a physical drive and/or partition in THE SAME system, the 9x/ME parition will NOT see the NTFS Volume. Sending Files over a network is possible.

theres a command that does this in Xp right? I'm a gamer I read in one of the billions of posts that used to be on here about this debate that it would degrade my prefromance in gaming is that true? And if I were to use that command line would I lose any or all data?