MySpace is Crap - a web developers view

I still don't understand why people want to plaster their lives all over the internet ?!?

Attention whoring ... they love the attention >_> ... admittedly i have a myspace & facebook account.

facebook > myspace

You know what I find amusing about MySpace?

You go and log in and type your password wrong and it then yells at you, "You must be logged in to do that!"

You know what I find amusing about MySpace?

You go and log in and type your password wrong and it then yells at you, "You must be logged in to do that!"

Hehe yea I get that a lot :p

Oh, and the "sorry, an unexpected error occured, bla bla bla" for 20 minutes last time I tried to read a message in the inbox. :no:

Hehe yea I get that a lot :p

Oh, and the "sorry, an unexpected error occured, bla bla bla" for 20 minutes last time I tried to read a message in the inbox. :no:

Yep thats myspace for you the constant errors and all my friends on msn/yahoo etc say I am imagining those such errors because they never get them...

Colin and gigapixels nice pages. Here's mine. Of course I didn't code that. :p The respected author is at the bottom of the page. People claim they add me as a freind, but I never get the request. The same if I try to add certain people. They either say they did accept or didn't get it. MySpace Sucks, Facebook Rules! Lol. :p

Edited by MchWalte

while it was a good review, I think for the most part the problem with my space is just the god ugly profiles. While I don't think its the fault of myspace, I think its the fault of people with no taste or no skill that make seizure producing profiles.

Colin and gigapixels nice pages. Here's mine. Of course I didn't code that. :p The respected author is at the bottom of the page. People claim they add me as a freind, but I never get the request. The same if I try to add certain people. They either say they did accept or didn't get it. MySpace Sucks, Facebook Rules! Lol. :p

I used that design for about a week until it started bugging me :p

• 3 weeks later...

Myspace is a ghetto but you may as well use it for what you can.

Edit: ****ing hell that review was hollow, there was nothing about it that suggested developer apart from the subtle references to some scripting languages :/

Your site has decided to drop entirely and be unconnectable so I'll quote what I was trying to post here:

This review hardly says anything. The only remotely decent thing this review said was the reference to myspace being made of 2 languages. The free reign of profiles means that the site is a lot more personal than facebook (I still prefer Facebook) and if we went with the template idea it would be awful. Keep the custom CSS, let retards highlight themselves, let decent coders make nice profiles.

Now, onto the workings and actual useability of the site. Contrary to what you say, cross-browser/cross-platform I don't have any issues at all, except that Firefox is slow when you have translucency combined with fixed backgrounds. I've never had an issue with Firefox and when I have it's been to do with a badly coded profile. Even mine was broken on Safari once but I rectified this and now all is dandy.

The site itself feels like they stuck with the codebase of the original "I'm just learning codez" phase of its development, with features hacked on here and there and from this perspective. It needs a rewrite. The site is slow, inefficient, there are no standards, the design is ugly and amateur, and its basically a trainwreck, however, not for the points that you said. Myspace has charm because of this - like a backend London Ghetto that is sorta cute because everything is so **** but people have learned to live with that.

Bulletins are ridiculous.

Edited by tool++

• 2 months later...

you hate myspace because you cant login it? wtf... if you really hated it you wouldnt even be a member! whine somewhere else this is review section of forum your just ranting because you have a little problem.

I just switched to Facebook recently... much, much better. Honestly, I dont know why I waited this long to make the switch.

Yeah same here I wish I could delete my myspace but it won't let me haha!

• 2 weeks later...

Recent social networking sites like Hi5, Orkut, etc. seem to have lost their share of users since facebook kicked in with the whole new "privacy gig". Which is a really good step forward since most people don't want strangers to see their profiles, pictures et al. Orkut following facebook made similar changes to their site.

But facebook is here to stay and is def much better.

• 1 month later...

I really dont know how anyone could dis myspace. Myspace is diffently as said before one of the biggest websites and one of the most viewed websites on the internet today. A

And yes, some of the myspace pages have shocking coding, but thats not myspaces fault, thats the owners of the pages faults. Not everyone is a website devolper and knows how to create websites so of cause some of them are going to be crappy.

And yes sometimes its a bit ahrd to get on to myspace, but the reason for that is because it is sooooo massive.

Myspace is diffently mass marvel of 2007. It diffently took the world by storm and pretty much every single one of ym clsoe friends and everyone I know have a myspace. And it is also very helpful for when your at a party and want to get to know somoene, ask them for the myspace page, and walla, you know all details abut them,their friends, and it also is good for when u forgot a chixs name or wnana meet up with one of them :)

Myspace I do love.

You seem to mis-understand, the base code of MySpace, and the way you have to edit it is poor. They let you only customise to a degree, so people have to resort to putting code in stupid places and using strange lots of css in order to get a customised look.

Myspace is terrible.

Horrible HTML, poor layout, inconsistent, slow.

It is literally ripped out of 1999.

I cringe every time they "update" it, because they just make it even worse.

Seriously ? I have never had any problems with Myspace...like user made problems...diffently not to the degree you guys are tlakign about. And when they update mysapce, the problems I have faced have only been not being able to log in for a couple of hours due to maintenance, and there was floods or something in the US or something that slowed me down but nothing really bad. Myspace for me here in Australia, Melbourne, has been of very high standard. And of cause Myspace have to limit peoples abilities in coding due to many people wanting to bring myspace down, and harm mysapce and other users. It is only a security measure.

And also now a days, many people are resorting to a flash layouts which I think is very nice and clean...alot cleaner then some peoples use of HTML and CSS.

So what are the main problems you guys are getting ? Cause I am diffently not as annoyed with it as you all are.

And yes, some of the myspace pages have shocking coding, but thats not myspaces fault,

yes it is, if they supported css and x/html properly then it'd be much easier to create a design for it, and it'd teach people wanting to customise thier page a little about css and html instead of some cripped version of coding that they use.

I understand about security, but all they'd have to do is parse some chars out, its not that hard :p

And it is also very helpful for when your at a party and want to get to know somoene, ask them for the myspace page, and walla, you know all details abut them,their friends.

instead of talking to them right there and then? :rofl:

Seriously ? I have never had any problems with Myspace...like user made problems...diffently not to the degree you guys are tlakign about. And when they update mysapce, the problems I have faced have only been not being able to log in for a couple of hours due to maintenance, and there was floods or something in the US or something that slowed me down but nothing really bad. Myspace for me here in Australia, Melbourne, has been of very high standard. And of cause Myspace have to limit peoples abilities in coding due to many people wanting to bring myspace down, and harm mysapce and other users. It is only a security measure.

And also now a days, many people are resorting to a flash layouts which I think is very nice and clean...alot cleaner then some peoples use of HTML and CSS.

So what are the main problems you guys are getting ? Cause I am diffently not as annoyed with it as you all are.

I guess you'd have to be a web developer to understand :p

Firstly...

instead of talking to them right there and then? rofl.gif

haha no...i do talk to them...but due to some alcoholic substances in the system, its sometimes a bit hard to remember them...let alone their names :p

Ok and yeah for some people who do not know much bout how to create web pages yea it is a bit hard, but Myspace offers services to help you create better myspaces, and these services are there to help you utilise Myspaces restrictions on their coding to maximize your look of your myspace. But lots of people just completely ignore this and try and make websites them selfs. This is what really mess's up the viewing of lots of pages.

I guess myspace has put up these restrictions for certain reasons and they wouldn't just be putting them there to **** of people. Either way its always worked for me, and if i ever come across a mypsace page that is ahrd to view or to enter, I blame the user, not myspace. Because if you want to use myspace, you have to use it by abiding by myspaces rules...rules being their restrictions on their site.

If ya cant beat them, work with them.

:)

I'm not blaming the MySpace developers personally becuase it's not their fault (just to cover my butt before people start whining), but I hate even visiting a MySpace page, it takes forever and they all look so horrible. What do these people think? The more junk you add, the "prettier" it is!?

I don't have MySpace and I don't want it, I'll stick to Facebook, thanks. (even tho Facebook's applications are HORRIBLE, it's still not MySpace).