MySpace is Crap - a web developers view

I hate myspace with a passion, all my mates are telling me to get one, but everyone's myspace looks awful, clashing colours, text you cant read and random videos and music players playing various sounds that you don't know where they are coming from. I use Windows Live Spaces, they look far less tacky and more professional :angry:

I must admit, yes, I am among the majority who think myspace is full of Emo wannabes, but some are so...ugh! WTF is with the horizontal scroll bar?!

I just hate the way people copy+paste lines of HTML, without balancing them all out or anything...

i agree,there are some profiles that are messed up....

mine, how ever works fine, but for the comment section, some how my layout own shows it in firefox, whitch is no problem everyone should be using FF.

I hate myspace with a passion, all my mates are telling me to get one, but everyone's myspace looks awful, clashing colours, text you cant read and random videos and music players playing various sounds that you don't know where they are coming from. I use Windows Live Spaces, they look far less tacky and more professional :angry:

i agree,theres may to munch ramdom stuff. I get my videos from you tube and i use the my space music player.I Try toset up a theme, with text, backgrounds etc.all folow in together.but thats just me,and everyone has a right to their opinion....

Well you are right, for a certain majority. However if you actully spend some time, myspace can look reallu cool as well, I'm very proud of mine, and everyone seems amazed at what I've done with it, but in reality it's not diffucult to do at all, no technical knowledge needed, just a litte patience, too many are too lazy, thats the problem.

Edited by charsel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it's pretty safe to say that myspace wasn't masterfully designed, but just about everyone you know has one. there's just little point holding a grudge on a website for a reason most of your friends don't care about.

• 3 weeks later...
In all fairness, when on Myspace you're rarely on something designed by Myspace, you're on different peoples HORRIBLE looking pages, it's like the return of satans GIF animations on every single one.

BUT someone did more then nag about it design :

http://www.thesidejob.com/2006/07/21/myspacecom-redux/

Now, I might actually use it if it looked like that. Its pathetic that an average joe can come up with a much better design.

I'm one of those that don't have a MySpace account and probably never will. I just don't see the reason.

bangbang - You know, I live out here in Los Angeles, not too far from MySpace central - and our power has been fine. Besides if you site is worth a million dollars, how about investing in a generator or a good co-lo facility or even a backup server somewhere else. Come on.

The same reason steam doesn't. Bangbang is right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It definitely has its advantages for those who like it but I cringe everytime I talk to someone and they want me to check out their myspace page. It's like, "Here's my life in badly presented form."

myspace isent that bad, its a great communication tool, if you need to tell someone something and there not on messenger or there phone is of jsut send them a comment or a message.

Also from a design point of view myspace is horrid but with a little imagination you can create a profile to represent your self efectivly.

My profile

@fusion2k: I've seen a lot of profiles like those and I love them. How do make them? (please excuse the noob-ness)

MySpace is fine just so long as you keep your designs simple, like I did with mine. My Profile

@fusion2k: I've seen a lot of profiles like those and I love them. How do make them? (please excuse the noob-ness)

MySpace is fine just so long as you keep your designs simple, like I did with mine. My Profile

easy, create a div with one table in the center of the page, set the background for the div to the image of whatever you want it to look like ( i designed mine in photoshop) then for the links use blank gifs and make them into image links.

you have to use blanks gifs for the links beacuse myspace dosent alouw for and type of coding rather then its ccs crap

i have to say yea myspace is a bitch, i dont like it much and all the restrictions for code only leave you with so many options for a layout, but in the end i need it cuz its a way to keep in touch with friends here in the states.

this is my custom layout, mostly divs and some embed tags, sorry about the autoplay but im too lazy to go into the code for the radio and turn it off

if you need to tell someone something and there not on messenger or there phone is of jsut send them a comment or a message.

Why...what a novel concept! It's like an electronic kind of mail! Why has no one thought of this before!?

Why...what a novel concept! It's like an electronic kind of mail! Why has no one thought of this before!?

I know how stupid are people!

i belive i will cristen it E-MAIL

what you guys think?

i have to say yea myspace is a bitch, i dont like it much and all the restrictions for code only leave you with so many options for a layout, but in the end i need it cuz its a way to keep in touch with friends here in the states.

this is my custom layout, mostly divs and some embed tags, sorry about the autoplay but im too lazy to go into the code for the radio and turn it off

I like that alot :)