MySpace is Crap - a web developers view

People who bash myspace have no friends. You mad?

Yeah, It makes me feel like they have nothing to do. I'm lucky I am at work, otherwise I'd be outside enjoying summer.

Really, that's just a lame excuse to bash MySpace. You know why you've had trouble the past 4 days? They got hit by the power outages in California.

Second, how can you judge user created pages as MySpace code? The individual members chose to add that snow effect or those obscenely bright colors.

Speed? It's arguably the most popular website on the net. Considering the amount of data they have to move, you'd expect issues.

Exactly.

i must agree partly on the login part. it is very hard to login at times, and uploading new photos? forget that, there is always an internal error.

I've never had a problem uploading a picture.

bangbang - You know, I live out here in Los Angeles, not too far from MySpace central - and our power has been fine. Besides if you site is worth a million dollars, how about investing in a generator or a good co-lo facility or even a backup server somewhere else. Come on.

The backup power went down too. These things aren't flawless, you know :rolleyes:

Im an avid myspace user :p

The non login was because of the power outages in California. Im not sure what else your arguing about, but having over 95 million users, its still a super fast site. Ive only had a problem uploading a picture twice, but if you click back and then try it again it works fine.

Wah, wah, wah. Aside from a few of you, all I see is bitching. Wah.

One of my favorite movie quotes: "You don't like it, get the f**k outta here." No one forces you to use it, so either shut up about it or do something to help the situation.

I'd rather just bitch about it.

I can't get through a whole page of profiles without crashing my browser once. This goes for Firefox, Opera and IE 6 (SP2).

I doubt that has much to do with power outages, since it still happened after they "fixed it" today.

All in all, it's not much different then Geocities really, in the way you get people just putting whatever they want there in regards to layout/desing. I've seen insane amounts of geocities pages that were soo bright, Almost impossible to read effects and every sort of "effect" they could squeeze into it. Back in the day, how many web pages didn't have a photoshop lens flare?! I had to mute my caudio output cause I couldn't goto 1 profile without music playing.

Also I may be wrong but I never hear too much positive about Cold Fusion, which they use (apperently with ASP.NET too). I've always heard Cold Fusion was good for small sites, but when you get to something big (like that site) it's not very viable.

Idea wise, its a very good idea for a website in general. I only decieded to try it this weekend, mainly for networking, also there are a few people I am looking for, but it takes forever to get through them.

Ash - good reference with Geocities. I remember back in the day, that was really the first blogging service out there. Granted it lacked the networking that MySpace is really good at, but it suffered from the same issues. The ads are what killed Geocities for me - that lame sidebar that took over your pages.

Yall are just mad because yall have no friends in your list.

The login works just fine, type in email, type in password, i'm in. It's your own personal problem if you can't get in for four days. They layouts is another lame reason to bash MySpace. Blame the users that make it that way. I mean, look at mine. Nice layout, legible, and simple music.

Click

With a community of 95 million, they can't be wrong.

Remember that 14 year old that met that 19 year old through MySpace and later got raped? Hah, the parents tried to to bash MySpace make a quick buck by suing them for 30 million. Lol, they didn't get it. So ludicrous. So what if they met at Wal-Mart? Are they gonna sue them?

Don't blame MySpace for your problems.

Edited by Ruiz

IM is a good invention, MySpace is just really badly executed by giving there users so much control over the personalisation of there pages they have sacrificed class and functionality for popularity.

These are the reasons I refuse to visit any MySpace pages as I know 99% of the time my eyes will be bleeding at the text colour, the background images will make me squint to read content, and the page will stretch my browser window all over the place or if I'm really unlucky I'll be abused by some crap music that I have to scramble up and down a page to find the STOP button.

from a coding point of view i would say it was HORRIBLE, i mean come on what sort of site is it when you have to put the page formatting in the "about me" box, thats the worst idea ever :|

other than that its ok.. ish :p

I love the site for being able to arrange meet-up's and keeping in touch with people. Instead of asking people for their phone numbers, I say "What's your myspace?" But the coding is terribe, and can't handle a load worth ****.

I love the site for being able to arrange meet-up's and keeping in touch with people. Instead of asking people for their phone numbers, I say "What's your myspace?" But the coding is terribe, and can't handle a load worth ****.

Ever heard of Email? or Instant Messaging?

Ever heard of Email? or Instant Messaging?

I think it's better to have their myspace over IM becuase you might get a peek into their personality before talking to them, which is good for how you would approach them in coversation, and whether you even want to continue talking to them. Email? Kind of dorky...asking for someone's myspace is "hipper" if you get what I'm saying. I don't have a lot of computer using friends (1), so that would come off as nerdy to a lot of people.

I like the concept of Myspace and letting people design the page how they want, but whatever is running behind this must be awefully bad since its causing errors and slowing down Myspace so much.

Myspace really needs a overhaul, at the moment it feels like a website created to cater for a 10th of the intended number of users its currently got.

Myspace really needs a overhaul, at the moment it feels like a website created to cater for a 10th of the intended number of users its currently got.

I think to do a major overhaul, they would have to take down the site for some time, and the chaos that would cause.

I can't get through a whole page of profiles without crashing my browser once. This goes for Firefox, Opera and IE 6 (SP2).

time for a new OS/browser? I haven't had any issues for months on OSX/safari

It's poorly coded because it doesn't work with Opera, or at least some of the things I have to do to update my space involve my having to resort to IE. :cry:

Wow...if we're going to judge a website on the content shoveled out by a portion of its users...wonder how you'd rank Neowin your Scale-'o-Crap?

Really, that's just a lame excuse to bash MySpace. You know why you've had trouble the past 4 days? They got hit by the power outages in California.

Second, how can you judge user created pages as MySpace code? The individual members chose to add that snow effect or those obscenely bright colors.

Speed? It's arguably the most popular website on the net. Considering the amount of data they have to move, you'd expect issues.

dude you always seem to know what your talking about (Y)

Wow...if we're going to judge a website on the content shoveled out by a portion of its users...wonder how you'd rank Neowin your Scale-'o-Crap?

Pretty low on the "Scale-'o-Crap" meter, since users cant edit my experience, they cant change buttons or add annoying music to pages, they cant make a page show more than 30 posts which I personally have it set to.

If I don't like a members post I can place them in a nice Ignore filter and I never have to see there annoying messages again. MySpace is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, if a friend wants you to view there MySpace what are you supposed to say "Sorry your in my Ignore filter" I don't think so.

Wah, wah, wah. Aside from a few of you, all I see is bitching. Wah.

One of my favorite movie quotes: "You don't like it, get the f**k outta here."

you were the one that decided to read and post to the topic...

my space is totally rubbish!!! at least with MSN spaces it looks clean and uncluttered myspace is just totally...well its like a bombs hit it