MySpace is Crap - a web developers view

Many teenagers get a computer from their parents. Concerning family or parents computers; with few exceptions, this generation of parents really know squat about computers. How are they going to setup their network properly and install/update anti-virus utilities when they hardly know how to turn on the pc and use Word?

if they bought the machine it's very likely then that if they knew squat that it would have been an OEM system with some protection already installed. And yes many dont know how to use a machine, my mothers an example but saying its the "teenage girls" that are the main offender is an enormous stereotype. Personally I think more teens of either gender is more at tune with their pc than many adults since they've been using them since basically birth.

Yes, I totally agree, MySpace sucks but it does have some hot chicks registered :D

You mean the emo girls :x

One's that always have bust shots. Either slim girls who are about to die due to not eating :x or fat ugly girls who try to hide all that fat in tight clothes. :laugh:

What a pathetic thread. If you don't like it, go make something better/more popular or... imagine this... DON'T USE IT!! Honestly, how good does it make you feel to sit around and bash a website. I promise you it's founders don't care the slightest bit what you think, they're laughing at how you all complain and yet they are still so popular.

"MySpace is Crap - a web developers view" -well, duuuuh. From a web point of view, it is the biggest heap of death on the internet today.

Its funny how polorized this conversation is. My review targets the base framework of the site having issues. Anything given to end users with that much control is bound to get totally out of control. It just seems to me that until the underlying framework is replaced with better, more stable code, the site will continue to have issues with usability.

^ Exactly, it's like giving a gun to someone who doesn't know how to use it. The end users have too much control. They end up blowing their legs off.

What's with the bandwagon of "hay ppl use myspace they sux0rz i rox0rz pwn n00b omg ftl rofl" on Neowin recently? Like someone else said, if you don't like it, don't use it, and stop complaining to the rest of us about it. Yes, we know that the majority of Myspace users do not know any form of coding, and they want to make their page look "flashy" by embedding videos and all this other crap in it. No, I don't like them either, but I'm not bitching about it. I, for one, only have a song playing on my page, and that's it. So don't lump "Myspace users" into the category of emo kids that sit in their room and cut all day.

And please, dear god, grow up.

I'm sorry but by having a song playing then your pages ARE in the same category as other users with poor designed pages. If people wanted to listen to music theyd go to a music site. You cant criticise users for having"flashy embeded videos and all this other crap" when I just visited yours and you have a song which pretty much falls under the header of "other crap".

As for it being a bandwagon. Hows it a bandwagon to not like something? Its as much as a bandwagon as the one that other users are riding that say it's a good site. I dont see why people cant criticise it and people have been stating reasons as to why. If thats a problem then the thread should never have been opened seeing as it stated it was not only a "myspace review" but also stated in the titled that the user didnt like it. So what did you really expect? He diod look at the site from a critical perspective in the initial post and the rest are just people saying they agree.

This isnt just myspace too. In any thread people seem to think its perfectly ok to spell their love about a product but if someone states they disagree and dislike it people tell them to shut up and go away elsewhere. Ipod threads are a good example. It benefits absolutly noone to read only positive oppinions on a site, service or product and if it leads for a more balanced perspective then I dont see why people shouldnt be negative towards a product they rightly feel they dislike. they are entitled to say Myspace sucks as much as people are that say myspace rules. Im sure 95% of the users here have some experience with the site be they members or not and 100% are entitled to their oppinion.

I also hardly see anyone that say myspace rules being told to shut up by the people that dont like it. In a way many of the "fans" of said service are acting in a more negative way than those that simply say they dislike it.

This wasnt so much aimed at the above user as it is to anyone that tells other people to "grow up", "get lost", "shut up" ect. If they cant deal wit hthe fact someone doesnt like something they do they should ignore it or do the growing up or shuting up themselves (not to mention the thread title gave away the gist of this thread pretty quickly). And yes some anti myspace/whatever post go to far but most dont and the same could be said about people praising it.

I have no problem with people saying they like or dislike it and love to hear why they feel that way if they are willing to state why. It really irks me though when someone that doesnt agree starts tryying to silent other people.

Edited by Smigit

I think it needs to be noted that complaining about how much a website sucks, in the process of you continually trying to access said site is highly asinine.

What's with the bandwagon of "hay ppl use myspace they sux0rz i rox0rz pwn n00b omg ftl rofl" on Neowin recently? Like someone else said, if you don't like it, don't use it, and stop complaining to the rest of us about it. Yes, we know that the majority of Myspace users do not know any form of coding, and they want to make their page look "flashy" by embedding videos and all this other crap in it. No, I don't like them either, but I'm not bitching about it. I, for one, only have a song playing on my page, and that's it. So don't lump "Myspace users" into the category of emo kids that sit in their room and cut all day.

And please, dear god, grow up.

Did you make sure to embed that song using standards compliant methods? Or have you used CSS for your page layout? Layers instead of tables? Did you make sure to follow "good coding practice" when designing your page, if not you're just wasting your time, and leaving the potential to kill/mame/destroy anyone out there that isn't using the same browser as you.

Standards are built for a reason, like rules in a game. If you break the rules, sure you're cheating, and you may win, but you can be sure that others aren't going to appreciate it. Also, by cheating your running the risk of damaging any number of things, feelings, relationships, trust. Just like when you code without using "good coding practice" you run the risk of causing lock-ups/freezing/crashing/script execution any number of things.

Do yourself a favor, if you're going to be one of the many tens of thousands of myspace users that has this urge to change the template that they've given to you, at least do it properly.

World Wide Web Consortium

Read at least the parts on CSS and HTML, if you get adventurous there are many other parts in there also that you can read through. And then when you've developed your page using the guidlines found here you can go to:

W3C Validator

To make sure that your page passes it's tests.

If you're not going to do at least these fundamental development things, then don't waste your time, or mine 're-designing' your myspace site as it's just a tragic waste.

It's not your fault really, I mean myspace let you do it, bad, bad myspace.

I think it needs to be noted that complaining about how much a website sucks, in the process of you continually trying to access said site is highly asinine.
I think it needs to be noted that assuming that one who complains about how much a website sucks, continually tries to access said site is highly asinine.

Did you make sure to embed that song using standards compliant methods? Or have you used CSS for your page layout? Layers instead of tables? Did you make sure to follow "good coding practice" when designing your page, if not you're just wasting your time, and leaving the potential to kill/mame/destroy anyone out there that isn't using the same browser as you.

Standards are built for a reason, like rules in a game. If you break the rules, sure you're cheating, and you may win, but you can be sure that others aren't going to appreciate it. Also, by cheating your running the risk of damaging any number of things, feelings, relationships, trust. Just like when you code without using "good coding practice" you run the risk of causing lock-ups/freezing/crashing/script execution any number of things.

Do yourself a favor, if you're going to be one of the many tens of thousands of myspace users that has this urge to change the template that they've given to you, at least do it properly.

World Wide Web Consortium

Read at least the parts on CSS and HTML, if you get adventurous there are many other parts in there also that you can read through. And then when you've developed your page using the guidlines found here you can go to:

W3C Validator

To make sure that your page passes it's tests.

If you're not going to do at least these fundamental development things, then don't waste your time, or mine 're-designing' your myspace site as it's just a tragic waste.

It's not your fault really, I mean myspace let you do it, bad, bad myspace.

Can you put that in English?

Can you put that in English?

I understood it perfectly. No problems there at all from what I can see. He's just saying people should make sure they follow good coding practices and one of those is to validate code when it's done basically.

...The majority of myspace aren't website programmers. If it was limited to XHTML/CSS coders it would be a lonely lonely place and wouldn't take off.

How about, leave the noobs with the bad code, they don't care!

...The majority of myspace aren't website programmers. If it was limited to XHTML/CSS coders it would be a lonely lonely place and wouldn't take off.

How about, leave the noobs with the bad code, they don't care!

You'll care when you're computer crashes because of a bad DLL!

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I don't know anything about mechanics, so I wouldn't attempt to fix my car, I'll take it to a certified mechanic who can do it properly. Saying "leave the noobs with the bad code, they don't care!" is like saying "just let tommy botch your driveshaft, he don't care!" He might not, but I do, any so will everyone else who is affected by his bad job.

If it's not okay to allow an un-certified mechanic to repair your vehicle so it doesn't blow-up/crash/randomly stop then why is it okay to let an un-educated person develop a web-page which could potentialy cause the same greif for a computer user?

Edit: by un-educated I am refering to un-educated in terms of webpage design and development.

I personally think MySpace is great. I don't use it for meeting other people online - me and a group of friends use it to keep in contact with each other, and it really works well that way. Also, I've only ever come across a log-in problem once, and apart from that I've never had any other problems with it. People who bash it for being a crap service can't really complain, it's free after all. It's a shame there are some morons on it, though, I've seen a fair few whilst browsing profiles.

Sure the website looks mediocre, but it's one of the biggest sites in the world. Unless you can come up with something better with more users then don't complain.

If it's not okay to allow an un-certified mechanic to repair your vehicle so it doesn't blow-up/crash/randomly stop then why is it okay to let an un-educated person develop a web-page which could potentialy cause the same greif for a computer user?

Edit: by un-educated I am refering to un-educated in terms of webpage design and development.

a blown up car due to a dodgy mechanic might be slightly more life threatening than a crap 14 year old kids dodgy website :whistle:

having said that yes i think myspace is crap and no i dont have one :laugh: