Steorn reveal date: Friday April 13th

This is quite exciting but it is pending peer review and verification. I can understand why some people would feel that this is not worthy of proper scientific investigation. However I feel that it does deserve it. If it is true then all well and good. And if it isn't then this arguement will be over. Personally I believe that this is a bogus claim. Not becuase of who is claiming it but purely due to the fact that it is an extrodinary claim and therefore demands an extrodinary amount of evidence. When Eintstein's theories were tested one of the experiements to verify it was to see if light was bent by stars. At the time this was unimaginable to test. This took a immense amount of effort with collaboration worldwide and was done in the public domain. If it took that much effort for that then a claim of this magnitude needs to match that in terms of evidence and provide a theoritical background (I deal with this below too). I can understand their wariness about coming into the public domain but I deal with that below.

My main problem is that they won't provide the patent office with a working model. Once it's patented they would be protected. Instead they are patenting serperate components. Why? What does this serve?

Two if they wanted the scientific community's help they should have approached them to do peer reviewed research. He said that a lot of people didn't want to know so they went for a "slap in the face" approach. So I can see why they went to the media. But to me all this means is that they didn't hae anything to show. If they had real research into this I'm sure someone would have looked into it. They say that 8 (I think it was that many) scientists (or institutions, can't remember which have verified it. If so and if they are reputable sources why are they hiding behind a mutual NDA? What difference is there between them and the scientists signing up to test it now?

In the video the chap says that there is no theoretical basis for this. This means they have absolutely no idea where the energy is coming from. Could the energy not be coming from exotic particles, or derived from dark matter or something else. This does not mean that the company has developed free energy just maybe that the energy is derived from a source they haven't investigated. Just because there is no change in the ambient temperature doesn't mean the energy isn't coming from somewhere else. I'm not a physicist but I am very interested in science and do read a lot of popular science books. I won't claim to be able to dismiss this idea but i remain hopeful but skeptical.

Either way in the spirit of science this claim needs to be tested and the findings published. The only thing I don't agree with is the shroud of secrecy which I've explained in relation to the patents.

My main problem is that they won't provide the patent office with a working model. Once it's patented they would be protected. Instead they are patenting serperate components. Why? What does this serve?

You can not file patents for a perpetual motion machine. This scam has been done so many times that the US patent office will not accept them. They are trying to bypass this by filing separate patents for separate components.

I'd trust the company a bit more if they were to file their accounts from 2004 and 2005. I think they are more like to go to jail then to have created a perpetual motion machine. This is the ultimate snake oil sales job. I'm amazed (and a bit worried) that so many people are prepared to fall for it yet again.

You can not file patents for a perpetual motion machine. This scam has been done so many times that the US patent office will not accept them. They are trying to bypass this by filing separate patents for separate components.

I'd trust the company a bit more if they were to file their accounts from 2004 and 2005. I think they are more like to go to jail then to have created a perpetual motion machine. This is the ultimate snake oil sales job. I'm amazed (and a bit worried) that so many people are prepared to fall for it yet again.

I'm pretty sure that the American as well as the British patent offices are willing to accept applications for perpetual motion machines. However they will only accept them with a working model and not if you are just providing plans. Therefore they could still apply for one if they gave a working model which they purport to have.

See below

Devising such inoperable machines has become common enough that the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has made an official policy of refusing to grant patents for perpetual motion machines without a working model. One reason for this concern, according to various skeptics, is that a few "inventors" have used official patents to convince gullible potential investors that their machine is "approved" by the Patent Office. The USPTO states:

With the exception of cases involving perpetual motion, a model is not ordinarily required by the Office to demonstrate the operability of a device. If operability of a device is questioned, the applicant must establish it to the satisfaction of the examiner, but he or she may choose his or her own way of so doing.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion

I agree with you about the financial aspects but I'm willing to put that down to bad management. Even though I really do think it sounds a bit dodgy!

Edited by Stealthy_Singh

• 5 months later...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/10/steorn-...day-april-13th/

Steorn teases with a reveal date: Friday, April 13th

Posted Apr 10th 2007 4:52PM by Paul Miller

Filed under: Misc. Gadgets

We're going to try and not read too much into this whole Friday the 13th date, and just give you the straight facts: Steorn promises to be "releasing the update on the Jury process and so on" of its seemingly first-law-of-thermodynamics-denying Orbo "free energy" product on April 13th. Steorn has been promising technical information about the invention and jury results for a while now, originally saying "first quarter" 2007. So if we use our imaginations -- as we apparently are exercising to the fullest to even entertain Steorn's Orbo claims -- we can just pretend April 13th is still Q1 and sit tight for the (hopefully) big reveal.

[Via Steorn Orbo, thanks Phil]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think this is for real, I don't think it is a con or a hoax. Here's a video here of the CEO answering some questions. It sounds like there going to be doing public demonstrations in July. It's going to be very interesting.

Meh, they are always going to reveal it "in the future", dates come and go, and they just move it back.

If that and their total lack of evidence for it's existence doesn't scream "scam!", then I don't know what will.

Meh, they are always going to reveal it "in the future", dates come and go, and they just move it back.

If that and their total lack of evidence for it's existence doesn't scream "scam!", then I don't know what will.

time will tell.. only time will tell.