Apple Event on September 12th

But it's still the 5G... :huh:

Exactly, I don't know where you're getting 6G from but these are still 5G iPods. I don't know if it's just a feature update that they are giving everyone or what but it's not a new iPod so I see no reason to not allow firmware updates to it.

On a side note, it didn't update my iPod so I don't know if the firmware isn't out yet or if it isn't going to update.

But it's still the 5G... :huh:

Not exactly. The hardware is slightly different; better battery (if that's not a software improvement) and 60% brighter screen. May not be '6G' per se, but definitely 5G v2, if you will.

Betaz: The reason why they may not want the current 5G running the new firmware is to make it one of the "features" of the new iPod, thus luring people, you see? Oh well in this case I hope I'm wrong :)

PS. Engadget is calling it the 5.5G iPod.

Edited by Toxicfume

huh, either you all didnt have playlists before or they are gone with the new installation.

i have like for every band one playlist, i hope they will be ported to v7, like they did with the previous updates!

anyways, i still got some time, im waiting for the german version.

http://img364.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipoditunesrc8.jpg

this looks interesting. dont remember who posted it, sorry.

this looks so no-aquaish... i wonder what leopard might look like. i dont think it will look entirely different to itunes. would be odd...

Not exactly. The hardware is slightly different; better battery (if that's not a software improvement) and 60% brighter screen. May not be '6G' per se, but definitely 5G v2, if you will.

Betaz: The reason why they may not want the current 5G running the new firmware is to make it one of the "features" of the new iPod, thus luring people, you see? Oh well in this case I hope I'm wrong :)

More on the features: on the "games" page of the iTMS, it says the games are compatible with fifth-generation iPods with firmware 1.2 and above. I think we can all agree that these new ones are still fifth-generation :)

huh, either you all didnt have playlists before or they are gone with the new installation.

i have like for every band one playlist, i hope they will be ported to v7, like they did with the previous updates!

anyways, i still got some time, im waiting for the german version.

Don't worry, my playlists stayed intact :)

More on the features: on the "games" page of the iTMS, it says the games are compatible with fifth-generation iPods with firmware 1.2 and above. I think we can all agree that these new ones are still fifth-generation :)

If that's true, the chances of us "original 5G" people getting the new search UI are high!

Yeah, the only thing updated is better battery and brighter screen, other than that it's all the same. It's definitely not a 6G because it's still "fifth-generation" on Apple's site ;)

Anyway, anyone who would buy a brand new iPod just for these updates is out of their mind so I don't think it's enough to hold out on current customers.

I didn't have a playlist to begin with. I'm using my work-computer and I don't have any music files in there.

this new itunes is aload of crap :crazy:

first off its slow and sluggish and i have a fast pc with 2gb of ram

the new colour scheme and icon are UGLY

the things uses between 37-60MB of ram :rolleyes:

Dunno if you tried it out or not, iTunes 7 installs and runs fine on x64- (still cannot get it working on my mac pro (osx)... anyone with a mac pro also not able to get itunes 7 working?

I guess the new nano is not coming from china like i thought, ships within 24 hours, as of now..

mine too, however it is going through the entire library 'determining gapless playback information,' so i'm assuming that is why it is sluggish.. ill check again after that is finished.

edit:

it isnt sluggish anymore, however it is using between 120-150mb of ram...

http://gorkd.com/itunes7_win.png

Edited by jlmodell

the new colour scheme and icon are UGLY

the things uses between 37-60MB of ram :rolleyes:

My computer has 1GB of RAM and iTunes takes around 18MB of RAM. :rollseyes:

Does anyone have any ideas? Looks like Apple still have some fixing too do. :)

- Windows XP Home

- AMD x64 3000+

- 1.25GB RAM

- nVidia 6600GT if any use ;)

Tried reinstalling a few times, compatibility wizard, repair install not any luck.

JMann

post-28082-1158089141_thumb.jpg

So I find it interesting that when you play a video, and you hover your mouse over the screen a set of controls pop-up. Precusor to things to come?

Well, it's done that before in full-screen Quicktime & DVD playing on a Mac.