Zune Aims To Be 'Cool' To Compete With the iPod

Microsoft's challenge in competing against Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL) in the portable digital media device market is "daunting," according to Bryan Lee, corporate vice president, entertainment at Microsoft.

Lee, speaking at the Citibank Global Technology Conference on Tuesday, said the company does have opportunities, since the devices, such as televisions, are on "the cusp of being very intelligent" but are not there yet. He noted that software was able to transition and add value to the enterprise sector and discussed how it has a similar opportunity in the entertainment sector as well.

The Microsoft device will have to "be as good as Apple...in core functionality...and to have a 'cool' brand," Lee said.

Microsoft expects to have the same model as Apple in that it will provide an "integrated experience," which means it is not focusing on compatibility with other services, Lee said in response to a question.

The name Zune doesn't mean anything, according to Lee. But he noted the word can be played with, such as one marketer's suggestion of the line "coming Zune."

Last month, Toshiba Corp. (6502.TO) revealed it would be building the Zune digital music device for Microsoft. Lee said that Zune will not look like Toshiba's Gigabeat device or any "product in the market so far." Zune's usage will not be tied to Vista, Microsoft's upcoming update to its operating system. Lee said Zune will be able to be used with Windows XP, as well.

Source

Ever since Todd said it on one of our previous podcasts, the name makes me think of those annoying Mazda commercials. I can just see Microsoft making a play on that, "Zune Zune Zune" instead of "Zoom Zoom Zoom".

Bah, I'm an apple fanboy, but what I hate about the ipod is that there is no radio. It's gonna give them some competition. Btw I don't agree with this wireless thing. I hate that we're getting wifi everywhere today. Wireless devices are a new fashion that's going to cost us a lot in the future.

ha...

there is NOTHING cool about ANYTHING microsoft. mentioning that brand to a girl is just shooting yourself in the foot, they will never be able to achieve what apple did. no amount of marketing is ever gonna make it "cool" to own microsoft mp3 player instead of an ipod.

my post has nothing to do with supporting one over the other by the way, but just think about how your friends/family/gf's react to microsoft, they associate it with "nerds and geeky" where apple is associated with "ipod" even though they are a computer company.

Any brand that tries to be cool is be definition, not cool!

iPods were cool until people started going on about how cool they are.

Don't forget the 1337 commercials with overrated bands in them!

If Eminem/U2/<insert record company cash cow here> uses an iPod I should too! :rolleyes: :whistle:

You all need to remember that both companies have different aproaches.

Apple sells Icons, sells status. Microsoft sells technicisms.

you may have a problem with the ipod or their ads, but they work, period.

Bah, this whole "cool" thing is lame. Just get the mp3 player that you like more instead of gettin what is "cool". Though personally, I can't see this hitting it that big because iPod is a more trusted name.

This kind of hype is better saved for later closer to the release date so people can buy on impulse. This is why Apple hates leakers. If people know about your product months before it comes out, it doesn't have that "Wow" factor very much anymore.

I can just see Microsoft making a play on that, "Zune Zune Zune" instead of "Zoom Zoom Zoom".

hahahahaha!!! :laugh: :rofl: i can imagine that too :rofl: :laugh:

What seperates their vanilla looking mp3 player from the pack anyway? Theres gotta be something but I just don't recall what they mentioned.

If you're talking about the Zune, I think it may be the wireless functionality.

i like the name Zune.. i didn't like Vista at first, but microsoft is trying new "stylish" names. what do you want it to be called? "Portable Live"?