Super Mario Galaxy Images

Looks fantastic. Awesome artstyle. I'd rather have games like this than realistic games :)

Gonna get it at day one. To bad Mario couldn't be a launch title. But I'm happy with Zelda of course. Wii is shaping up to be superb console with a variaty of games.

It's more powerful, but most of it you won't see in terms of graphics because it's not powerful enough to show that much of a difference compared to the GameCube (the higher resolution Wii has eats up a fair bit of the extra processing power).

Wii games run at 480p, exactly the same resolution as (most) gamecube games. Mario Galaxy's graphics look fine to me, more importantly, the game looks immensely fun (having seen videos of people playing it). I've played loads of games with better graphics that weren't fun at all, I know which I'd rather play.

Wii games run at 480p, exactly the same resolution as (most) gamecube games.

That's the vertical resolution. I was talking about the extra horizontal resolution that most Wii games use:

GC: 640x480

Wii: 854x480

wrong, the GC does 480p 4:3 while the wii does 480p widescreen (slightly more space)

Both consoles do whatever ratio the developers want. There were widescreen GC games, and there will be 4:3 Wii games.

well my Take on the GPU and graphics of the Wii are this, Nintendo dosant want to have graphics as ther leading go getter for the new system but you know if ATI made the chip they would prolly end up makeing it simuler to one of ther Directx 9 line basic GPUs so that it has Directx 9 LIKE and effects and use Pixle shaders prolly 2.0 based. cause the Gamecube GPU was more or so based on ther Directx 7 line but with modifead linstrctuion set so that it could output some decent only Decent lighting and shading modles.

One game that would show you some powe r of the Wii graphicly besides redsteel would be Splinter Cell game witch is going to Wii , the reason i say so is that the first Splinter Cell games specialy the first one showed off the Xbox 1 but on PS2 and Gamecube they had to Fake the same efffects simulating the same lighting and effects not haveing Pixle shaders to work with so to me it only be Fair to assume that Wii supports Shaders 2.0 and since the Developers of Redsteel have alredy siad that E3 demo was using GCs GPU and not the new GPU but they was only using the new amount of Ram and CPU that the new GPU was not done yet.

Oh and one way we will tell really how good the graphics will be is to wait for FARCRY Vengance for Wii, Water Effects well new Zelda game has ok looking Water but Farcry we know should have realistic looking water and when it is out we can compare it to the PC version or Xbox versions

Edited by notuptome2004

The game looks far better in motion so don't worry.

Also there's something you guys need to remember.. Until the final Wii developer kit developers were basically working with Gamecube hardware setup to work with the wiimote. So the first batches of games are going to look very similar to Gamecube titles.

Also 480p does make a difference. The vast majority of Gamecube games were 480i not 480p. So it will look higher resolution on progressive/hdtv sets compared to the Gamecube.

I think the key when using an HDTV is how well it handles downscaling. Mine unfortunately with the xbox isn't that good.. So I'm a little worried.

Both consoles do whatever ratio the developers want. There were widescreen GC games, and there will be 4:3 Wii games.

We're talking majority though. There are widescreen GC games but most actually have a smaller resolution (such as RE4). Wii has enough horsepower for widescreen 480p so we're going to see a resolution advantage.

Anyway, back on topic. The game looks good for the Wii, it also has some nice lighting and bump-mapping effects you can't really see in screenshots. It would be nice if it looked this good though:

art_4483_id_1.jpeg

:p

Also 480p does make a difference. The vast majority of Gamecube games were 480i not 480p. So it will look higher resolution on progressive/hdtv sets compared to the Gamecube.

true...but another problem is the composite cables that came with the GC. How many people do you know have GC component cables? not only do they cost an arm and a leg but it's the only way to get 480p

jerk.gif

I thought that was a fizzing champagne bottle. :|

I can't wait to play Mario Galaxy. I enjoyed all the other Mario games.