Zune Marketplace first look

Basically they are trying to follow the success of the iPod. Honestly microsoft, it wont work. An iPod is a fashion statement now, not just another player. Its like kleenex. Its not tissue to people, its keenex.

Fashion/Trends always change.

The one advantage they have over Apple is the built in FM tuner!
Yes, so does almost every other MP3 player out there. Anyway;

iPod: $249

Zune: $299

iPod + iPod remote/FM tuner: $298

Sorry to say it but Marketplace (what a catchy name, ahum) looks really bad, especially compared to Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista or Windows XP for that matter. Hopefully they'll release a more decent version for their next-gen Windows version otherwise I wouldn't know why they bothered implementing Aero.

Yes, so does almost every other MP3 player out there. Anyway;

iPod: $249

Zune: $299

iPod + iPod remote/FM tuner: $298

<snipped>, who would want a big box on the top of the iPod? At least the Zune its all inside...

Edited by Fred Derf

Sorry to say it but Marketplace (what a catchy name, ahum) looks really bad, especially compared to Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Vista or Windows XP for that matter. Hopefully they'll release a more decent version for their next-gen Windows version otherwise I wouldn't know why they bothered implementing Aero.
Wrong thread Neowave? :rofl:
<snipped>, who would want a big box on the top of the iPod? At least the Zune its all inside...
What, I'm a fanboy for pointing out that the iPod has the same feature for a lower price? Edited by Fred Derf

What, I'm a fanboy for pointing out that the iPod has the same feature for a lower price?

Yes, save a dollar, you can keep your dollar there and I'll spend it on a mp3 player that has a bigger screen. ;) I work at a DSE in Australia, 1 out of 3 iPods we sell comes back (within a few months) because it crashed or its not working anymore, I don't know what the iPod is like in the USA or anyother countries but here the iPod is crap.

But don't get me wrong I have nothing against Apple or Ms, but my point of view atm is the ipod is falling fast and Ms might take a lot of the market if Apple doesn't improve the iPod more.

Maybe you should have bothered searching what the Remote/FM Radio looks like before making statements about big boxes atop the iPod.

ma070lmyd8.jpg

As you can see the entire FM receiver is part of the remote.

Edited by Fred Derf

Maybe you should have bothered searching what the Remote/FM Radio looks like before making statements about big boxes atop the iPod.

ma070lmyd8.jpg

As you can see the entire FM receiver is part of the remote.

Hmm, my bad, with must have the old version, here because it just a box thing thats sits on the bottom of the iPod.

No why? This thread isn't about Zune Marketplace?

I find it disappointing that syncing etc. has to be done with Marketplace instead of Windows Media Player 11, which looks a lot better IMO.

it looks kinda cool, i like the dark colors and stuff.

but infact i prefare a clean, brightish look, a look that apples usually offers (exept of course the ipod mini, the new nano and the black macbook and ipod, the mbp imho fits well into that apple look). i like the ipod better in terms of design, which certainly is a matter of taste. the features zune offers are quite cool and the display looks fine but the overall design and wifi and stuff... i dont need it. im pretty statisfied with my clean ipodish white ipod and my itunes 7 (which btw works all fine for me) and since i dont really need wifi and stuff, my ipod pretty much does everything i need. the only video content i have on it are three seasons of family guy which are 4:3 so i dont even need a 16:9 display and everythings just perfect for me.

nice, that microsoft finally got their asses off to do domething to compete the ipod and everyone should go for what makes them happy but i stay with my ipod and itunes and thats all fine for me. :)

I find it disappointing that syncing etc. has to be done with Marketplace instead of Windows Media Player 11, which looks a lot better IMO.

You would be able to, because WMP will sync anything USB, including USB Flash Drive, so it won't take much to get WMP to sync with zune. (I hope :shifty: )

Hmm, my bad, with must have the old version, here because it just a box thing thats sits on the bottom of the iPod.

It's called the connector, which is maybe 5 mm high.

You would be able to, because WMP will sync anything USB, including USB Flash Drive, so it won't take much to get WMP to sync with zune. (I hope :shifty: )

Hopefully WMP 11 syncing will work properly when adding playlists etc.

I'm quite surprised MS decided not to have the Zune sync with WMP11. I guess one of the reasons could be the aac support. Their appear not to want aac support in WMP11 which disappoints me mainly since then I won't be able to use media center for my music (which is primarily aac with no DRM). Yes I have tried the plugins for WMP, and there is no all in one (music, id tags, album art) support yet. I was hoping MS would bring this with WMP11. Ah well.

Second surprise, Zune doesn't support PlaysForSure. Looks like MS has a new DRM waiting in the wings. I suppose it means they won't be officially canabalising the media players from creative and the rest which support the napster music stores and the like, but for sure thats what will happen. It is definitely a kick in the teeth for the music stores which stood by MS's wma and DRM. Maybe Napster should release music compatible with iPods (hack the apple DRM like Real did before).

Not really a fan of the looks of the Zune hardware, but the UI does look nice. However I'll be waiting for the widescreen iPod before I plan an upgrade from the 5G iPod I currently have. I actually like iTunes 7 (i guess one of a few that does), and am also disappointed MS doesn't have podcast support direcly in the Zune media player. Should be easy to do, and it does appear to be a popular feature of the iPod/iTunes.

Well if your music is in AAC, and the Zune supports it, but WMP11 doesn't, you are screwed.

I reckon it looks great. So can this replace WMP?

I'd say this could possibly replace WMP but will most likely be additional software that sits alongside (and needs) WMP to use with your Zune device.

Nice colours, i just hope MS doesnt experience the same problem APPLE did with there mass of IPOD breakages...mine is still broken so i would consider buying a zune!

It's called the connector, which is maybe 5 mm high.

But you are missing my point with the ipod you have to get the connector, but with Zune its all there, I just a people that likes everyone in one, and I know there must be people out there that want to have the connectors so they can pick and choose what they want, but Apple should put a iPod out with everything in it. (if there any space in the new nano ;) )

I work at a DSE in Australia, 1 out of 3 iPods we sell comes back (within a few months) because it crashed or its not working anymore, I don't know what the iPod is like in the USA or anyother countries but here the iPod is crap.

But don't get me wrong I have nothing against Apple or Ms, but my point of view atm is the ipod is falling fast and Ms might take a lot of the market if Apple doesn't improve the iPod more.

I think you've missed my point a bit. I'm not saying that the iPod is better than the Zune or any other player (IMO the iPod is a decent player but it's certainly not the best), all I'm saying is that the Zune isn't offering anything that no other player has, and although it will have more features than the iPod, it needs to do better if it wants to be considered as serious competition for the iPod.

A friend of mine bought one of the original 5G iPod's last year, which had a very bad battery (2-3 hours tops) and extremely poor build quality - she was ****ed at first, but now she wants to buy one of the new 5G's. Why? Because the iPod is seen in modern culture as "cool", despite all the problems it has. That's the sort of thing Microsoft are up against.

Ah, sorry - I thought you were talking about Vista but I didn't read it properly. :blush:

Looks like you're the <snipped> here "oh eeeeek a MASSIVE box connected to my iPod, it just WONT be portable anymore, waaah" Geez, it's a tiny-ass remote that has an fm tuner built in basically.

And to be honest, I recon the Zune, minus the idiotic name, will be an extremely good player, as long as the price is good. Watching a video of it, the interface is very smooth and is one up from Apple's iPod interface.

We can only wait to see what it's like when it's out.

Zune may do very good, but it's still extremely hard to dent the iPod's market share.

Edited by Fred Derf

Its getting quite annoying when people say, but the other brands have failed against Apple with better features etc.. Well, they are not huge brands like MS & Apple. It will make a huge difference with MS behind it. Thats one of the major criterias a company needs to take on Apple. Other than that, Single brand device, single service that make consumers feel at ease. MS is doing it. They have a really good chance.

But you are missing my point with the ipod you have to get the connector, but with Zune its all there, I just a people that likes everyone in one, and I know there must be people out there that want to have the connectors so they can pick and choose what they want, but Apple should put a iPod out with everything in it. (if there any space in the new nano ;) )

Yeah and I don't want to spend extra money on something I won't be using in the first place. ;)

I really want a Zune but I just bought a Zen Vision: M like a month ago... I know it won't even come close to taking down the iPod but it's always nice to carry around backed up DVDs without having to convert to .mv4 or .mp4.

Wait, does Zune support XviD?