Xbox Live Downtime October 17th. 2006

Downtime for Xbox.com and Xbox Live

We've got some scheduled maintenance coming up and want to let everyone know that both the Xbox Live? service and Xbox.com will be offline and unavailable starting at midnight Pacific Time on Tuesday October 17, 2006 for up to 24 hours. We know you've got some questions, so here are some answers:

Q:> Why? Why? Why?

A:> Because we're adding some cool stuff. And we have to take the service and website offline in order to do it. We're not doing it to make you mad ? reallyQ:/b> What kind of cool stuffA:/b> Secret cool stuff that we'll tell you about when we're back online October 18. Other stuff we'll be talking about later in the fallQ:/b> Is this a Dashboard updateA:/b> NopeQ:/b> So what's going to happen exactly? What's it going to look like for meA:/b> For the first hour or two that Xbox.com and Xbox Live are down, you'll get error messages?when you hit Xbox.com you'll see a Server Not Available message, and if you try to connect to Xbox Live you'll get the "can't connect" message. Don't freak. It's not your account, your computer, your browser, or your ISP. It's us. After a couple hours you will see a "We're down for maintenance" page on Xbox.com and a similar message on your Xbox consoQ:: Twenty-four hours? That's a whole dayA:: Yes it is. It is also 86,400 seconds. Too bad the Xbox Operations Center isn't on Jupiter. A day there is a little less than 10 hoursQ:: What the heck am I going to do for 24 hours if I can't troll the forums, pwn my rivals, download stuff on Marketplace, or video chat with my frienA:: We're glad you asked. We hereby submit our Top Ten Things to Do on October 17 2006:

1. That's right, you can still earn achievements when you're offline. Your achievements will be uploaded to the Xbox Live service when it becomes available.Bust out your big black buddy original Xbox. There are still awesome games coming out for Xbox?. In
Destroy All Humans!? 2url] comes out on Tuesday October 17. That's pretty good timing.<Go shopping!#33; We've had a boatload of great games and accessories release in the last few weeks. C LEGO? Star Wars II?: The Original Trilogy[/url], Xbox Live Vision Camed, and lots of other great stuff. Make your local retailer very happNominate a friend for the Gamer Spotlight.tlight. TriXie's email will still be working, so drop her a line at xlmail@microsoft.com and tell her who you think needs some attention on Xbox.coListen to Xbox podcasts.dcasts. Visit Gamertag Radio, XBLRadio, SquadXP, and Unscripted360, just to name a few. We'd suggest Major Nelson's 'cast, but we know everyone's already listened to all of hisStudy up on October 17 history.istory. Here are some examples of momentous events that occurred on 10/17:
  • 1931: Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion.
  • 1933: Physicist Albert Einstein arrived in the United States as a refugee from Nazi Germany.
  • 1945: Col. Juan Peron staged a coup, becoming absolute ruler of Argentina.
  • 1979: Mother Teresa was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.Birthdays!ys! October 17 is also the birthday of Rita Hayworth, Evel Knievel, Mike Judge, Eminem, and Superman creator Jerry Siegel! It's a great opportunity to use Xbox 360? for more than games?watch the Shawshank Redemption, Beavis and Butthead, and Superman: the Holiday anyone?day anyone? Hoist a glass in honor of The United Nations International Day for the Eradication of Poverty (just don't waste any) and Black Poetry Day in thTalk to your significant other.cant other. Remember them? You last spoke about 11 months ago when you got your Xbox 360 console. Just don't say anything like, "Have you gained weight?Make your holiday wish list. wish list. HD DVD anyone? How about the Wireless Headset and Wireless Racing Wheel? How about that cool new Zune thingamagig and the cool accessories to go with it? DoGears of War? Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent? Age Viva Pi?ataiva Pi?ata[/url]!

Thread here http://forums.xbox.com/7376859/ShowPost.aspx

Wow, that's awesome, I can't wait to see what they add! :D

Last time they went down they added the ability to message and add/remove friends right from their website. Hopefully it'll be a big improvement just like that this time. (Y)

I hope they bring a lot of new demo's and video's at once, but I don't think they need to go offline for that since it worked out with a lot of demo's in a short period of time during the TGS and X06.

Only thing I can think of right now is perhaps the activation of the "hidden feature"? (or did i miss that already :p)

I hope they bring a lot of new demo's and video's at once, but I don't think they need to go offline for that since it worked out with a lot of demo's in a short period of time during the TGS and X06.

They're probably talking them away.

1080p, maybe? :woot:

I know is something REALLY cool... :shifty: :whistle:

too bad this colides with PSU beta, we'll have less time to play with it... :cry:

You're a being a meanie, lol. Jk, but I hope it's an interface change.

Funny how you all are excited for it but if it was the Ps3's online service, or even neowin going down for 24 hours everyone would be ranting instead. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Funny how you all are excited for it but if it was the Ps3's online service, or even neowin going down for 24 hours everyone would be ranting instead. :devil: :devil: :devil:

Well we've seen some screenshots of some fall updates and it looks pretty cool. Anyways, at least with this, I know there will be a huge improvement.

how could we complain about an online service that isnt active or even officially announced?

I guess you didn't read the article, as it is good news.

I hope all of us on the Phantasy Star Universe beta will still be able to connect (since those servers are supposed to be hosted by Sega, hence their separate fee).

PSU works the same way as FF XI does, it links your Gamertag to your Guardian License/Content ID to conect your game with the outside server. :yes:

XBL is the gateway to the PSU servers at Sega; also, lets remind that PC/PS2 users play on the same server and Xbox 360 users play on their own; this allows Xbox 360 users to take full advantage of all the nice features XBL has to offer and not just like FF XI where PC/PS2/Xbox 360 users play on the same servers (which is nice to a certain point) but you can't take advantage of XBL b/c none of its features were implemented into the game... :cry: :pinch:

Anyways, I think that the workaround to this issue is to get connected to the PSU servers before XBL goes down and then the poblem is gone as you're already authenticated on both servers, just a thought... :happy: :yes:

I don't think so... everyone here would be too impressed with the PS3 actually having an online service up and running in the first place to bi-atch about it coming down... :laugh:

That's because generally every time XBL goes down, something cool happens.

-Spenser

I know is something REALLY cool... :shifty: :whistle:

too bad this colides with PSU beta, we'll have less time to play with it... :cry:

I thought you meant the X360 power pack first time I read that!

I'm willing to bet money that the downtime is to add a Music Purchasing service ala iTunes Music Store to coincide with the Zune player and combat PS3's similar plans for their online network.

If that's all they are adding then... meh. :sleep: