Royale Noir

It's ok but a bit boring cant see how people love it theres much better themes out there :p

Such an unpolished theme :s I find it way too ugly.

Yeah, I agree. It's not usable imo.

It's ok but a bit boring cant see how people love it theres much better themes out there.

Yeah, I suppose, but it's still a signed MS theme & for an unreleased theme (and not 'finished' either) I think it's cool. Except for the fact that

1. the notification/clock area looks quite weird

2. the start button roll-over is green (nicer to have it grey)

3. the text & text shadow colour is bad

4. the scrollbars should be grey

Still better to use than WB if Noir the only theme you use.

Such an unpolished theme. I find it way too ugly.

I wouldn't call it ugly, but it could use some work and then be released officially by MS a few months down the track. Everyone has their own opinions though.

I really like the changed start button :p

I saw a way to prevent Royale Noir theme from conflicting with the Royale theme here (by oddbasket from HWZ).

Is there a version available where the start button roll-over is amended?

What theme is that?

I can't remember. :( Sorry.

You have remember that Noir is not complete and is still a work in progress while Royae is completed

Okay, but in that case... Why do people want to use it? I can see it's not finished, and I'm sure you all can, too. If it's a work in progress, on the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing the final version. The version without the blue Royale text shadows, and Royale scroll bars and Royale buttons... And... Green start button on mouse over? :blink:

It's ok but a bit boring cant see how people love it theres much better themes out there :p

Such an unpolished theme :s I find it way too ugly.

Agreed.

Okay, but in that case... Why do people want to use it? I can see it's not finished, and I'm sure you all can, too. If it's a work in progress, on the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing the final version. The version without the blue Royale text shadows, and Royale scroll bars and Royale buttons... And... Green start button on mouse over? :blink:

But the thing is, this visual style will never be completed. My guess is it wasn't finished in favor of Aero, which looks like it was built upon Royale Noir. Microsoft didn't release this VS for a reason; they have no intent of finishing it, and it's buggy.

Wow! What other visual styles has Microsoft kept hidden?

Judging by what you just said, this visual style wasn't necessarily "hidden". It was being worked on then was put off on the "side". And now it was revived by someone.

Correct me if I am wrong. :ermm:

er...hi :)

I'm the one who obtained the "Royale Noir" visual-style set and forwarded it off to my friend, Long Zheng, for reviewing. He put it on digg after posting... next thing he knew his server was down.

A few of you will probably want a few extra details.

I've got lots of friends working at Microsoft (and I've got a job there once I finish my education too), and I'm often privy to top-secret information and dealings (there's a new Windows Server being announced in January 2007 at CES, for example), including the "Royale Noir" theme.

The theme is fairly popular inside Microsoft, only a minority of their employees actually use it, but it's not unheard of, but prior to my email to Long on Saturday it hadn't been leaked outside Microsoft. But interestingly enough, the theme has been used in Microsoft's "People_Ready" TV adverts. I sarcasticlly complained to one of my informants that Microsoft was advertising something we cannot use, so he took it upon himself to get me a copy of the theme.

I'm the one who put it inside the *.rar file being distributed around the Internet, the Readme.txt file was written by the skin's author, I've been trying to contact him directly, I'll see what I can dig up later on. I am rather taken aback by the sudden popularity of the theme (a 41,000 increased (from 41) google results almost overnight) and I am kicking myself for not putting mine (and Long's) details in the Readme file too. But cest-la-vie.

Ciao,

er...hi :)

I'm the one who obtained the "Royale Noir" visual-style set and forwarded it off to my friend, Long Zheng, for reviewing. He put it on digg after posting... next thing he knew his server was down.

A few of you will probably want a few extra details.

I've got lots of friends working at Microsoft (and I've got a job there once I finish my education too), and I'm often privy to top-secret information and dealings (there's a new Windows Server being announced in January 2007 at CES, for example), including the "Royale Noir" theme.

The theme is fairly popular inside Microsoft, only a minority of their employees actually use it, but it's not unheard of, but prior to my email to Long on Saturday it hadn't been leaked outside Microsoft. But interestingly enough, the theme has been used in Microsoft's "People_Ready" TV adverts. I sarcasticlly complained to one of my informants that Microsoft was advertising something we cannot use, so he took it upon himself to get me a copy of the theme.

I'm the one who put it inside the *.rar file being distributed around the Internet, the Readme.txt file was written by the skin's author, I've been trying to contact him directly, I'll see what I can dig up later on. I am rather taken aback by the sudden popularity of the theme (a 41,000 increased (from 41) google results almost overnight) and I am kicking myself for not putting mine (and Long's) details in the Readme file too. But cest-la-vie.

Ciao,

Hopefully you can find out if this theme is going to be completed, then. It's almost there.

Almost immediately after knowing about the theme, these guys fixed the bloody thing. And don't worry W3bbo, they credited you,lol!

Link

NoirDesktop.jpg

startblack.jpg

The scrollbars still haven't been matted properly, though. They should be a bit darker to match the theme.

The scrollbars still haven't been matted properly, though. They should be a bit darker to match the theme.

Not just the scrollbar, every other control has to be matted should the scrollbars be changed to match. I wonder who's willing do it... are you?

The originator credit is to you, W3bbo! :)

oddbasket from HWZ made an easier way to apply the theme file, and another version with the green hover start button adjusted. If there is anything we can put in the readme files, do let us know.

Thanks for the great discovery!

Edited by atlanticus

I love it! Royale, my favourite style ever (next to Aero) in black! :wub:

I'm loving the DeviantArt link to the 5 colour mix somebody posted as well!

Hmm...this reminds me of the PSP, in a way...speaking of gadgets, I wonder what it would look like in iPod white or PS2 Aqua...

Almost immediately after knowing about the theme, these guys fixed the bloody thing. And don't worry W3bbo, they credited you,lol!

startblack.jpg

The start button still looks jaggy in standard mode. Selected and pressed look better now.

I wouldn't say Royale noir was that flawed, just a misnamed shellstyle and green buttons. Otherwise its a complete royale theme. Zune seems like an attempt to overshadow an unofficial xp theme leak, but it's crap.