Microsoft Zune Software Available Now!

It installed more or less painlessly under XP for me. The compact mode, together with XP using the Zune theme, looks quite nice. As does the app in full mode. From my first impression it's more or less WMP11 with a Zune skin and some Zune-related features though.

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm

To quote an e-mail

Today's the day.

Zune? officially launched and to celebrate the occasion, we held a series of launch parties with some of the most influential and progressive bands across the country. You can see the highlights at www.zune.net.

Also, get new updates on zune-arts.net including new animations, "The Ballad of Lion & Gazelle", "Eyes" and new artwork from ROSTARR? and Yuko Shimizu.

We also opened the doors to Zune Marketplace*. It's like your favorite local record store, minus the walls. You can explore more than 400 hand-crafted playlists, guestlists from cutting-edge artists and personalities, and over 2 million tracks. Check out articles from leading magazines and editorial partners including XLR8R and The FADER to keep you up to date on emerging artists and styles.

*To get access to Zune Marketplace, download Zune software off Zune.net.

So, check out for youself how good (bad?) the software is!

This is one kick ass media player. Less features then WMP11, but I love it. :woot: Compact mode looks sweet :D

If only there was a Zune skin for WMP11 lol.

maybe it IS wmp11 with a zune skin.

anyone check out the res? maybe it's in there...

i would but no vista support...

<insert puppy-dog eyes here>

Whoa. What theme and wallpaper is that? :yes:

the wb theme is jadaero 1.1 or something. i dont know what the wallpaper is, sorry.

back on topic-

i love my (brown) ..(it looks better in person!) zune and the software, but i have found a bug(?) where all my metadata looks perfect in the zune software, but when it's loaded onto the zune, i get some albums with "unknown artist". this only happens when i use certain views on the zune.. i will go to music, then view by genre- it shows all the pretty album art but some of them have unknown artist- but if i view by album then the artist shows up... uh.. does that make sense?

i fixed this issue by putting the name of the artist not only in the "artist" field of the metadata, but also in the "album artist" field.

everything else is perfect and i have not had any other problems. still looking for a good video converter though. any tips?

Me too getting the same error. What does it mean No Zune software updates found?

Couldn't find the error log of the installer. Am downloading Ethereal (Wireshark) now - reformatted just a few days back. Will try find out whats info its expecting from Microsoft Update. And then try fooling it.

• 1 month later...

One very good reason, Antitrust! If MS bundled a direct iTunes competitor that uses their own device and music store, they would get sued and have even more EU problems. The EU already hates Media Player being installed by default, this would give them a heart attack.

My question would be, but what about Apple bundling iTunes into Apple computers then? It's the EXACT same scenario. They are simply perpetuating their market dominance (85% of whatever it is) by just bundling it in....no different than WMP if you ask me..

I always have to laugh when I see how ironic things are in the tech industry. Microsoft gets shafted just for being Microsoft, and Apple gets to be the pretty little princess just because the fanboys don't want to believe that Apple could be doing anything wrong. :|

My question would be, but what about Apple bundling iTunes into Apple computers then? It's the EXACT same scenario. They are simply perpetuating their market dominance (85% of whatever it is) by just bundling it in....no different than WMP if you ask me..

agreed - but you've seen how much the eu likes WMP (aka - not very much.

Its really stupid. Apple bundle more stuff with OSX than MS does with XP, yet MS gets fined cos of it, and apple don't. Make sense huh? lol.

Anti-trust means using the success of one product to promote another. iTunes bundled on every Mac isn't exactly an anti-trust violation since Macs aren't the market leader by a long shot.

Anti-trust means using the success of one product to promote another. iTunes bundled on every Mac isn't exactly an anti-trust violation since Macs aren't the market leader by a long shot.

No, Anti-trust has nothing to do with bundling products together and your logic fails when you consider that iPod is a market leader.

The purpose of anti-trust law is entirely motivated by politics and rarely for the good of the people. It has not been proven to help competition in the market place and in fact has hurt the market place more so than it has done good. If you need an example I will gladly write a longer post on it.

Me too getting the same error. What does it mean No Zune software updates found?

add another one here cant install same damn window pop-up??

any help would be cool