Vista will be available for MSDNAA on Nov. 17th

No signs of onenote 2007 or anything from my Univesrity yet, did however notice on Friday that on the msdn subscriptions site Vista had been added:

MSDN Subscriptions

I dont know if that means they now have access to it or not but the Jan 2007 shipment was not up early last week.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!! i wish elms would just post it already... last time i checked my tuition money was going towards this program. We pay for the service just like msdn members do! Any new news?

• 2 weeks later...

too anyone wondering about vista ultimate on MSDNAA

"Vista Business was chosen for MSDN AA because it has an ideal toolset that most aligns with the vision of MSDN AA which is - to enable academic pursuits of Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics. There are only two main differences between Vista and Ultimate, and those differences will not affect a student's ability to pursue academic work in the STEM disciplines."

Thanks for that scooterman, though I do think most of us knew by now that they probably would not give us ultimate for those reasons or at least not right away for free.

Whilst we are on the subject ahs anyone actually got Vista off of MSDNAA yet? I still have nothing on mine, no new software has been added for some time now and it is nearly the end of the month which my admin said ELMS stated would be pretty certainly the time Vista was available. :(

Business is the one that most closely represents XP Professional (upgrade path).

Getting Vista off MSDNAA? Through MSDN? No. Students aren't given access (we only get access to ELMS/eAcademy). My school has had Vista downloaded off MSDNAA (same portal as MSDN/TechNet subscribers) and have burnt copies for students on loan. They also have about 50-100 keys to give out to students, but they record each time you request a key (and you're only allowed once, per student ID).

No Vista on my ELMS yet. Didn't I hear that we would be given access sometime in early January or before the consumer launch of Vista? That's when ELMS is adding it, as far as I know. No matter to me, since my school downloaded Vista ISOs, burnt them and gave them out (with Business keys) on request.

Sydney University (Australia).

i have Windows Vista on my ELMS site here at University of Science and Technology - AGH, Krak?w, Poland. But we still have to contact other Administrator to receive installation keys. It is 32bit version (x86).

My ELMS site: http://msdn62.e-academy.com/elms/Storefron...agh_wfis_krakow

Oh man your lucky! My ELMS site looks exactly the same but it ain't on mine:(( i'd get excited if it was listed or even mentioned but its just not.

i have Windows Vista on my ELMS site here at University of Science and Technology - AGH, Krak?w, Poland. But we still have to contact other Administrator to receive installation keys. It is 32bit version (x86).

My ELMS site: http://msdn62.e-academy.com/elms/Storefron...agh_wfis_krakow

Greetings from Bialystok:rolleyes:: I see that AGH is better organised than WUT in Warsaw :rolleyes:: Or mabe its just my faculty... Regardless of the reason the ELMS site on MiNI on the University of Technology in Poland doesnt have Vista yet...

Here's from our CS Department:

Where the heck is Vista?

December 20th, 2006

(Or: What in the MSDNAA is going on!?)

One of the questions that we?ve been getting recently is ?When can I download Vista from the MSDNAA?? Since Microsoft has announced the release of Vista to manufacturing I know that folks are anxious to get their hands on a copy. Completely understandable.

I thought that I might take a moment to let folks know what?s going on with the release of Vista and when it might be available via our MSDNAA subscription. The good news is that it will be available as a download and everyone who has access to the MSDNAA subscription will be able to get a copy. The bad news is that we still don?t know when this will happen.

So, why the hold up? There are two things that folks will need to make an installation of Vista work. One is the media (ISO file, DVD, etc) to do the installation with. The second, and this is where things start to break down, is a valid license key with which to activate Vista. Unfortunately it?s this second part that we don?t have yet. I?ve spoken with representatives from Microsoft and they do know that this is going on and they are talking to the folks within the company who handle license keys. Sadly they could not give me a time-line for the release of the license keys.

As soon as all of the pieces are in place so that we can distribute properly licensed copies of Vista we will. And we will make announcements to the larger CCIS community to let folks know when this happens.

These are two mails I have received from e-acadamy support:

Hello Mr. Kamil,

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista!

Windows Vista Business DVD is available now for PA download on Systems MSDN60, 61, 62, 63. You need to contact your site PA (program Administrator) to know when this product will be available in your ELMS site. Contact information can usually be found on the support section of the software site.

If you have any questions with regards to this please speak to your program administrator.

Kind regards,

e-academy support

and

Hello Mr. Kamil,

Thank you for getting back to us!

You are right. The PA is responsible for placing the ISO?s on the ELMS server. And unfortunately Windows Vista Ultimate will be not part of the MSDNAA program. It?s only Windows Business.

If you have any questions with regards to this please speak to your program administrator.

Kind regards,

e-academy support

So all of you (including me too) who still don't have Vista on your ELMS servers should bug your administrator to place it on the server cause Microsoft did all they had to do. Hope this helps. Greeti:rolleyes:yes:

Vista buisness has just turned up on my MSDNAA site, i can download the ISO but there is no Key to go with it. It says we have to get one from our program admin... Its a step closer to getting.

Vista buisness has just turned up on my MSDNAA site, i can download the ISO but there is no Key to go with it. It says we have to get one from our program admin... Its a step closer to getting.

Same here.

I'm a computer engineering student, which means that I get access to MSDNAA subscriptions from both the Electrical & Computer Engineering department and the Computing Science department.

The CS MSDNAA is ridiculously retarded; the help desk told me that I need to come to them and ask to take out CDs, and they give us keys manually. That's completely ridiculous given the volume of students they'll have who want software.

ECE MSDNAA uses ELMS. My administrator told me about a month ago that he didn't know when they'd get it, and I'm getting really annoyed waiting... I just need a damn key! :(

Yeah I am starting to get annoyed now, I mean I don?t desperately need Vista but I would like to have it seen as we are supposed to get it free. I did contact my admin again on Tuesday as he had told me earlier that it would be up by the end of December, this is the reply I received and by the sounds of it I would think is the case for most Universities that have not put Vista up yet.

Response from my admin:

"Unforetunately, I do not know when we will be enabling Vista downloads. We have been given a very limited amount of keys, and I don't know how many the Uni will need."

I had to go see my admin, and he gave me one of the keys that he had. He was also hoping that they'd eventually get the Ultimate edition, but personally I don't think it's going to happen.

He mentioned something worth noting - a grad student installed it, and then tried to format his drive and install it again, and it didn't let him use the key. Apparently the keys are "single product activation." What the hell does that mean? I don't think the guy properly uninstalled his license but I'm kind of scared that I might screw something up and then not be able to reinstall the OS.

It probably means the same thing I have heard about the OEM versions of Vista, that being that you can only sue the key once to activate your copy of Vista, after that you will need a new key. This is bad if they are doing it with the MSDNA ones aswell. I would ask my admin if he knows but he does not reply that often, quite frankly I am anoyed as other Uni admins are giving out keys for vista where our admins eems to be keeping them all for the University. :(