Pirated Vista may be useless, Microsoft says

It is available legitimately for volume customers to download.

Vista can be installed without a key (there is one build in) then it is a 30 day trial before you have to enter a legitimate key (for the same Vista Edition you installed).

Wrong. It has -NO- key, it simply allows you to install, then put a key in before the 30 days are up. There's no "magical install key" that it puts in for you :p

Wrong. It has -NO- key, it simply allows you to install, then put a key in before the 30 days are up. There's no "magical install key" that it puts in for you :p

Actually there is a magic key.

It's used by default if you enter no key.

And theres no such thing as a "30 day trial". I recall it's called a "30 day grace period" so you have time to enter a key and activate it like you are soppose to.

they are full of it there are final vista out there and they are running it, there are a few that will be no good after they disable the beta codes or whatever but 90% of those I know using vista wont have a problem so they can tout that crap all they want.

Seriously, theres are a very small number of legit keys that have failed validation, MS have admitted that, but the other 99% of keys that fail are due to them being leaked or the user not knowing that they are running pirate software. the 20-odd boxes that you have had fail are either (1) running pirate versions (2)there using keys that have been leaked or (3) your full of it like most people who say "my legit key failed validation" bla bla bla.

Of course there would be no incentive for Microsoft to downplay the occurences of WGA false positives or anything like that right?

/sarcasm off;

Let's get real here. The problem of WGA false positives is for sure not as small as Microsoft will claim, neither is it likely to be epidemic. But the likelyhood of those 20 machines (from a company no less) failing due to use of pirated keys on those machines, or those keys leaking out over the Net is miniscule indeed. One might presume the company had more than those 20 PCs, all running on the same key. Much more likely is a simple case of WGA reporting a truthfully legit key falsely.

Microsoft is never going to give us the true numbers of WGA false positives or the true reasons thereof. It's simply not good business to do so.

Don't lie. Legit copies activate just fine. And if for any reason you change hardware several times in a short period of time, and need to reactivate, you can call Support and they'll activate you over the phone in a couple of minutes.

Uhm, no they don't. I have 2 retail copies of XP pro that don't. The first one wouldn't activate any more and the 2nd one was already blacklisted when I bought it from Best Buy. So no, not all legit copies activate just fine. I had an easier time with XP when I had the Devil's Own release.

Well the only people i see complaning here is the people that gets pirated copies.

Of course they will complained as per they might finally pay for something they take for granted.

On the other hand i do understand the fact that the price for there operating system is very high and i dont like myself paying does fee's.

But then again, if people would not have started cracking everything microsoft had put on the market we would not be at this point today. (WGA etc.etc.).

We look at microsoft and say they charge a lot for there operating system but why dont people look also at all the stuff they do for free for there operating system that it is actually required to play games ( DIRECTX ) and all the other stuff required for some apps.

And yes it cost a lot to do a operating system and yes they do have to pay the people coding it.

So giving a bit, should not hurt.

I am not a microsoft fan boy but i do admit that they are right when it comes to wga and all the other protecting stuff they input in there software.

If i dont want to pay for a operating system i go with linux. as per there is no need for cracking it.

And for does that still cry's out there if you dont like microsoft like you guys seem to make us think and if you are such a fan of linux or mac or any other operating system why is it you can't live without M$ software.

hahahahaha

Why do people keep saying "Vista will be cracked"...Vista is cracked. Its cracked and working fine. It works just like any other cracked version of windows in that you can't expect to install it and connect to microsoft and get updates as if it was a legit copy. But of course that will eventually be worked around as well, and even if its not they always release cracked versions of all the security patches and you can just download them manually

i can download all the updates and downloads off there site just fine....

i mean......... :shiftyninja:

lol @ microsoft

the day they let me buy a copy of windows for $400 and i can use it on at least 10 pcs then ill buy it, until then ill just try to get it some other way, education, free, from work, etc. They just dont get it, one PC is NOT enough, many people have more than 2 PCs at home. In my case i have 3 laptops and 2 desktops.

(and I yes i want Ultimate, i use IIS, backup, MCE, remote desktop and all that crap, so dont tell me i dont need Ultimate)

Agreed. I have several computers and I'm sure as hell not buying multiple licenses.

And for those people who like to not pay for something they use everyday, stop bitching you're getting something for free, stop complaining because you have to spend an extra 3 minutes running some other patch.

i havnt seen anybody b!tch about it. i know i wont

Well the only people i see complaning here is the people that gets pirated copies.

Of course they will complained as per they might finally pay for something they take for granted.

On the other hand i do understand the fact that the price for there operating system is very high and i dont like myself paying does fee's.

But then again, if people would not have started cracking everything microsoft had put on the market we would not be at this point today. (WGA etc.etc.).

We look at microsoft and say they charge a lot for there operating system but why dont people look also at all the stuff they do for free for there operating system that it is actually required to play games ( DIRECTX ) and all the other stuff required for some apps.

And yes it cost a lot to do a operating system and yes they do have to pay the people coding it.

So giving a bit, should not hurt.

I am not a microsoft fan boy but i do admit that they are right when it comes to wga and all the other protecting stuff they input in there software.

If i dont want to pay for a operating system i go with linux. as per there is no need for cracking it.

And for does that still cry's out there if you dont like microsoft like you guys seem to make us think and if you are such a fan of linux or mac or any other operating system why is it you can't live without M$ software.

hahahahaha

i think you need ms spellcheck. 'does'?

When you buy most software, they still are not yours. You only buy the right to use them on your computer. And by installing it you accept the licence agreement which one of says that MS have the right to install software to ensure the software is legit or other software to do with their software. Don't like it? Easy...don't install it and try a different OS.

WGA does not hurt legit customers, it hurts pirates. I am yet to see anything to do with WGA on my legit install of XP. So how is that hurting me? Pirates have to do some effort to get their stolen copy of XP to work like as if they bought it.

pirates are ALWAYs going to find a way around it and WGA and Activation just hurt those that purchased it as I've debated in the other thread about Vista RTM leaked that was locked.

pirates are ALWAYs going to find a way around it and WGA and Activation just hurt those that purchased it as I've debated in the other thread about Vista RTM leaked that was locked.

You do realize that without WGA and Activation, any idiot could get pirated Windows. You would have 10 people putting money together and buying one license and all using it. Licenses would be traded among friends like songs on limewire. Then Microsoft will see real declines in profits.

Of course it's not final code, and you'd have to be a complete moron to be using it!

Why do you think that it's not going to be commercially available for another 2 months? So that hardware/software companies have a chance to develop compatible software/drivers for the OS. This is a time period in which it actually becomes PRACTICALLY usable, and supported by manufacturers.

After this time period, there will be the development of updates. There will in all probability be around 30-40MB of updates available the second it is commercially available.

You do realize that without WGA and Activation, any idiot could get pirated Windows. You would have 10 people putting money together and buying one license and all using it. Licenses would be traded among friends like songs on limewire. Then Microsoft will see real declines in profits.

they dont make much out of regular people like us man, if they really wanted people to buy vista they can make it way cheaper, 400 for an OS is way too much!!! and yes i want ultimate as i said before

Of course it's not final code, and you'd have to be a complete moron to be using it!

Why do you think that it's not going to be commercially available for another 2 months? So that hardware/software companies have a chance to develop compatible software/drivers for the OS. This is a time period in which it actually becomes PRACTICALLY usable, and supported by manufacturers.

After this time period, there will be the development of updates. There will in all probability be around 30-40MB of updates available the second it is commercially available.

ummm it is the final code dude, rtm = release to manufact. meaning now thats up to them to do whatever they want with it.

they dont make much out of regular people like us man, if they really wanted people to buy vista they can make it way cheaper, 400 for an OS is way too much!!! and yes i want ultimate as i said before

Well I suppose you're right. Most of the money they make is from OEM.

Read your EULA again and then try to tell us you own their property. What you own is the media and a license. If you wanted to actually own Windows it would cost you more money then you'd ever see in your life.

Why don't you try to focus on the topic?

lol.... that was funny... i also agree that people need to buy it... if your gonna use it more than 10 times a day (i do) then just purchase it.. .its stress free and its the future... mp3's was downloaded all the time until riaa stop most of it.. now at least music sales have gone up.. im assuming same with vista... and other sofware

:woot: