Pirated Vista may be useless, Microsoft says

I see the main issue being: Running a cracked version is a pain, I used to run a pirated XP but purchased a legal one one WGA was introduced, it became too much hassle to keep up with it, MS only need to make small changes to make the current cracks obsolete.

WGA did the job on me and made me buy a legal copy as I'm sure it did many other people. As mentioned earlier in this thread, all of the ultimate extras and downloads from the MS site will be blocked (If not already)

I don't really agree with the prices, so I have bought another copy of XP OEM with a Vista upgrade voucher for ?100, I'm set and ready to go.

Every one is looking at the retail prices and forgetting there are upgrade options and OEMs and going straight for the Pirated version

I did exactly the same thing. I bought XP Media Center Edition when I just got sick to death of re-installing XP because it "went wrong" due to the new WGA system. I was using a pirated copy, but i didn't know it was pirated, honest guv'nor..... No really..... I now own a licence to run XPMCE and will buy my licence to Vista Home Premium..... When exactly i'll do that is another issue. I considered running a pirated copy of Vista RTM alongside my legit version of XP (RC1 would probably be a better choice here) so I could get used to the new system (I genuinely will buy a Vista licence mainly because "dealing with WGA on pirated systems is more hassle than it's worth and i think Microsoft knows this) but Vista RTM is so buggy still that i'll have to wait until much later in the year 2007 or even SP1.....

Why is every stupid fanboy in this thread acting like they're the ones cracking Vista? All you 15 year old's say the same thing:

LAWL VISTA WIL B PIRATD STRAIGHT AWAY HOW COOL DUZ THAT MAYK ME!?!?!!!eleven!111!!!!!!!

You know what?

I don't care if it has been leaked.

I don't care if it has been hacked.

I'll be buying the retail version in my own time, and if I want to pay 700-odd dollars for it, that's my problem. Don't act like piracy is the holy grail of computing. Don't act as if Cracking is the most prestigious thing a nerd could aspire to. Outweigh the consequences of pirating/cracking Vista against 10 years in jail - and then act like a tough guy.

Why is every stupid fanboy in this thread acting like they're the ones cracking Vista? All you 15 year old's say the same thing:

LAWL VISTA WIL B PIRATD STRAIGHT AWAY HOW COOL DUZ THAT MAYK ME!?!?!!!eleven!111!!!!!!!

You know what?

I don't care if it has been leaked.

I don't care if it has been hacked.

I'll be buying the retail version in my own time, and if I want to pay 700-odd dollars for it, that's my problem. Don't act like piracy is the holy grail of computing. Don't act as if Cracking is the most prestigious thing a nerd could aspire to. Outweigh the consequences of pirating/cracking Vista against 10 years in jail - and then act like a tough guy.

Ah yes you are a real tough guy! Look, he can use giant bold letters and make the rest of our posts look tiny and unimportant compared to his!

Ah yes you are a real tough guy! Look, he can use giant bold letters and make the rest of our posts look tiny and unimportant compared to his!

Truth hurts, doesn't it? :laugh:

:laugh: The legal purchased version of Vista sounds useless -- which is why I'm not installing Vista.

Yeah, MS has resorted to giving Vista away now :p

Ya, they are thanking Tech Beta testers by giving free copies of Vista to those who submitted at least one bug report, which is nice of them.

It sure as hell is useless now. I'm going legal for now on. I'll be purchasing Office 2007. Forget anything Adobe related, way too expensive. I've already made the switch in all the other areas of software :D

"Microsoft?s Software Protection Platform"

That's a joke.

This is only IF you connect to auto updates. If you don't use it, you don't have to worry about anything. As far as Office 2007 Enterprise RTM and the Vista RTM going around the web not being final code.....

They are full of crap. It is final code and they know it. They just don't want their copies to "get around", but guess what?

Too late.

And I'll tell you another thing, my XP Home is fully legal and I have had to call Microsoft twice already to get the darn thing re-activated because of some hardware changes I did and I am sick and tired of it. The first time I activated it, the operator lady that was taking my call could not activate my XP with the serial that came with my PC!!!!....Incredible. She started questioning me and telling me that was not the serial number and asking me if I was sure that was the serial on my PC and I told her that yes it was and it was printed on a sticker under my PC and I told her if she wanted I could email her a darn photo of the sticker!!!!!. That activation crap is exactly that...crap! I am glad they are pirating their software. What they are doing is wrong. I understand they want to protect their rights and everything else but for what they are charging for Vista I think they should allow the user to install it on at least 2 PCs and not have to buy a darn license for every PC he/she wants it on another PC at their home. It's bull.

Edited by Scorbing

This is only IF you connect to auto updates. If you don't use it, you don't have to worry about anything. As far as Office 2007 Enterprise RTM and the Vista RTM going around the web not being final code.....

They are full of crap. It is final code and they know it. They just don't want their copies to "get around", but guess what?

Too late.

And I'll tell you another thing, my XP Home is fully legal and I have had to call Microsoft twice already to get the darn thing re-activated because of some hardware changes I did and I am sick and tired of it. The first time I activated it, the operator lady that was taking my call could not activate my XP with the serial that came with my PC!!!!....Incredible. She started questioning me and telling me that was not the serial number and asking me if I was sure that was the serial on my PC and I told her that yes it was and it was printed on a sticker under my PC and I told her if she wanted I could email her a darn photo of the sticker!!!!!. That activation crap is exactly that...crap! I am glad they are pirating their software. What they are doing is wrong. I understand they want to protect their rights and everything else but for what they are charging for Vista I think they should allow the user to install it on at least 2 PCs and not have to buy a darn license for every PC he/she wants it on another PC at their home. It's bull.

It's true. If only they allowed to install Windows on at least 2 or 3 machines instead of one, they would see more sales and happier users.

It's true. If only they allowed to install Windows on at least 2 or 3 machines instead of one, they would see more sales and happier users.

If I could activate one serial on two boxes, I would be happy as a pig in ****.

Microsoft appears to be cracking down hard on the pirates this time. A couple days ago if you did a simple seach for Vista on perhaps the biggest torrent site around at least half a dozen FINAL RTM versions were found with a lot of seeders/leachers. Now if you run that same search only RC 1 + 2 along with a few betas come up. Wouldn't suprise me if they send warning letters to all the ISPs of IPs seen downloading those torrents as well. They did it with the XP x64 release last year.

eh really?

Then why didn't they do it for XP, Office, Adobe, etc etc if it's that easy

didn't say it was easy. more will probably pop up in no time. i doubt they will keep taking them down forever.