Upgrade version: bad news

I am considering purchasing the Upgrade version of Ultimate, but i have some situations which i hope someone can clear up for me. I have a machine running XP (fully upgraded) and I have the tendency to want to format and clean install (impossible with the Upgrade version, but possibly with the "workaround") but it will be a pain to reinstall all of the games and other programs that I have installed over the time I have used XP. So I would like to upgrade to Vista. The question is, if I ever have a problem with my upgrade, and i want to clean install, i'll need to buy the full version, and that's fine, but can I UPGRADE from the FULL VERSION DVD and apparently the full Key. So I want to upgrade, but i want to have the full version for future installs that i may have to make on the same machine.

A second question is if it's really worth it to wipe and install full if i have a ton of programs on the PC. I want to clean install with a full version, but to have to reinstall all of the programs (includes game saves etc.) seems like a royal pain. Thanks for any help on these questions.

Selecting Custom through the upgrade won't give you the ability to format I'm assuming. MS isn't that dumb in these situations.

It does. And it allows you to choose which partition to install it on, too.