my wii is defective,

but the thing is, can one play a game right out of the box and not need to update? because I'll just wait on Nintendo when they fix the firmware update.

if you enter your wifi internet connection settings, i do believe it automatically updates.

my wii updates, and runs perfect..

good luck to everyones who doesn't. :/

Speaking to 1UP, a Nintendo spokesperson responded to the sunlight allegation, stating that "testing thus far shows no great risk of light interference when playing a game that relies on the pointer and sensor bar."

So I get my Wii yesterday and it's playing fine for the first hour or so and now every time I try to play Wii Sports ( the only game I have so far ) it just gives me an "Unable to read the disc." error. I did the online update and it still didn't help. Is anyone else having this problem?

My second Wii is defective.

After the firmware update, it is no longer able to connect to the internet with a message saying

"There was a problem with the WiiConnect24 service. Please try again later." and nothing will fix it.

even formatted the system memory and nothing.

Good lord.. more and more of these problems are arising. And I was praying that the Wii had a flawless/bugless launch, just to laugh at PS3 more.

my store called me up today and replaced it.. thanks everybody for your help.. now its time to spend some time that i didn't get to yesterday :D

isn't that mandatory anyway?

not mandatory, but recommended.. and i can't play virtual console games until i update, i bought a virtual console game for my old wii, and now the Nintendo update server must be down so i can't play my virtual console game :(.

not mandatory, but recommended.. and i can't play virtual console games until i update, i bought a virtual console game for my old wii, and now the Nintendo update server must be down so i can't play my virtual console game :(.

I see. I have my heart set on buying a wii maybe I should give it a month or two.

My Wii works perfect, not had a single problem with it yet (besides the first time turning it on and wondering wtf i had to do ;p ), 2 updates and both Wii Sports and Zelda run perfect, but i have heard of some others systems locking up during zelda though on www.gamefaqs.com

Good lord.. more and more of these problems are arising. And I was praying that the Wii had a flawless/bugless launch, just to laugh at PS3 more.

It seems all of these companies (sony, nintendo, microsoft) can't launch a bug free console.

To my knowledge back in the old days this never happened, am I correct?

It seems all of these companies (sony, nintendo, microsoft) can't launch a bug free console.

To my knowledge back in the old days this never happened, am I correct?

because they use to be made in Japan. I think the Wii is still made in Japan can anyone confirm this?

On my first update, it froze(went black). Resetted it with my controller On the second update, it worked perfectly fine.

I'm thinking maybe the freezing means to restart it. I would compare it like when installing windows updates you have to restart the computer to allow the changes to take place. However, the only thing that doesn't make sense is why it just goes black. But it does make sense to restart the wii.

Played about maybe 1 hr, tried all the options except photo and had no freezing/disc reading problems (only inserted the disc into the console twice though). Didn't try purchasing a game though.

I'll update if I have any problems, but otherwise, mine was fine. Hopefully that can put to rest some of the worries people have. It's probably rare to have problems.

Oh yeah, when I recieved my first email on the wii, the blue light was freaking bright. (i set the option to bright).

Good job Nintendo!