my wii is defective,

Am I pathetic for smirking at every time someone says "wii"?

thenay:

Yeah, I would have expected atleast Nintendo would get it right, they've always made quality hardware. :(

its actually a good point everyone bashes ps3 and its best quality product so far.

i hightly doubt it. you just aren't hearing of anything wrong with them yet because probably like 80% of the people who got them threw them up on ebay and never actually played them yet.

not mandatory, but recommended.. and i can't play virtual console games until i update, i bought a virtual console game for my old wii, and now the Nintendo update server must be down so i can't play my virtual console game :(.

How did you get a virtual console game before the update? It installs the update to let you go on the online store...

It is my understanding that your Online Shop Account is linked to your my.nintendo.com account AND your Wii itself. I don't know if you can just re-download your Virtual Console game again (trust me I understand that this is not a good thing, but from a rights management angle, it certainly is the easiest). There needs to be someway to erase a Wii and send the rights to an account to another Wii for just this style of reason. As of now, I don't know of any such way. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I hope that I am.

On the main topic of the thread, I updated my Wii, and all is working fine.

i hightly doubt it. you just aren't hearing of anything wrong with them yet because probably like 80% of the people who got them threw them up on ebay and never actually played them yet.

Exactly: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ps3.ars/1

How did you get a virtual console game before the update? It installs the update to let you go on the online store...

It is my understanding that your Online Shop Account is linked to your my.nintendo.com account AND your Wii itself. I don't know if you can just re-download your Virtual Console game again (trust me I understand that this is not a good thing, but from a rights management angle, it certainly is the easiest). There needs to be someway to erase a Wii and send the rights to an account to another Wii for just this style of reason. As of now, I don't know of any such way. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I hope that I am.

On the main topic of the thread, I updated my Wii, and all is working fine.

Exactly: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ps3.ars/1

your right :(. i spent $25 on a card and now i might as well throw that away, I'll try to contact Nintendo's phone support when and if i find the time. I work late so by the time i get home, Nintendo's phone support is closed.