Vista RTM Bugs Thread

@Mouse turns itself off: This also happens for me. I'm a bit worried it might kill the mouse's optical light.

This bug still remains: try accessing a restricted folder (i.e. the C:\Documents and Settings virtual folder), dismiss the Access Denied box, hit ALT, and try clicking on one of the menu items.

Most of the rundll32 and COM Surrogate problems, as well as some divx\mpeg problems are all attributed to Nero. Removing it tends to fix most of those. Most of the other problem in this thread are related to video drivers (Sleep, Hibernate, Shutdown and Startup) which are quite bad currently. nVidia and ATi need to get off their asses quicker.

The title of this thread is a bit misleading though, As almost none of these can actually be called Vista bugs.

The rundll32 and COM Surrogate problems can also be caused by codec packs which were never designed for Vista, such as k-lite codec pack. The only one I have verified to work perfectly, is FFDShow.

I can't remember XP had this many bugs when it was released. No doubt MS rushed it this time, and are probably aiming to fix it via Windows Update, because they think most people will be connected to internet anyway (which wasn't the case for XP).

It's not that many really serious issues, but there's tons of minor things that are simply not supposed to be like it is.

I'm moving back to XP till atl east Febuary for now. I want to like Vista and find it a joy to use, but at this point I just can't.

I have had problems with DVD Playback quality. I can get DVD to play just find but it just doesn't seem as crisp and clear was when i played DVDs with Windows XP. Sometimes it will look slightly pixelated and look like as if the video is interlaced. Also with the DVD Playback the audio seems to be pretty quiet. When i play music that is just as loud as before but for some reason the DVD audio is really quiet. I have the lastest version of Nero and I have tried playing the DVDs through Windows Media Center and they are both quiet. I have discovered that as new drivers for my GPU nvidia Geforce Go 7400 that the DVD playback quality is getting slightly better. So my guess is that the video quality is related to the driver for the GPU. However I can't seem to figure out what is the probem with the audio. I have an Conexant High Definition Audio chip, I am running on a HP Pavilion dv5000t laptop. Intel Centrino Duo 2.0 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM.

Also, I have a Canon PIXMA IP3000 and whenever i try to print anything it will only print part of it and then it says it has a problem with the spoolsv.exe. Has anyone else come across this problem too. If so, any possible fixes?

Let me know if anyone has come across this problems and of course any possible fixes for these problems.

Also, I have a Canon PIXMA IP3000 and whenever i try to print anything it will only print part of it and then it says it has a problem with the spoolsv.exe. Has anyone else come across this problem too. If so, any possible fixes?

Let me know if anyone has come across this problems and of course any possible fixes for these problems.

I think the DVD problems are down to drivers/codes as you have totaly diffrent audio/video hardware to me and DVD's play as good in vista as they do in xp.

What drivers are you using for your printer? it sounds like some buggy drivers... i have a Canon I850 printer and i can install it and use it fine under vista when its plugged in to the pc with vista on, but when its shared over a network it will crash explorer when i try to install it on vista.

Welcome to neowin :)

I too have several bugs with Vista RTM.

1. I have random rundll.exe crashes, usually when launching an application or running an application like Media Player Classic or foobar2000.

2. The 'View Slideshow' button in explorer doesn't work and in fact crashes explorer.exe

3. I have the same start menu items that aren't named.

4. Foobar2000 doesn't seem to work right with vista as it usually crashes when shutting down or when adding a playlist to the sidebar thing.

5. The only video renderer's that work in Media Player Classic are the VMR 7 (windowed), VMR 9 (windowed), VMR 7 (renderless), VMR 9 (renderless), and Haali's Video Renderer.

6. A game I play called Fleet Ops (actually a total conversion mod for Armada 2) crashes on startup with an error about armada2.tgt not working right or something.

Granted 4-6 are probably program related, they still annoy me to no end.

I too have several bugs with Vista RTM.

1. I have random rundll.exe crashes, usually when launching an application or running an application like Media Player Classic or foobar2000.

4. Foobar2000 doesn't seem to work right with vista as it usually crashes when shutting down or when adding a playlist to the sidebar thing.

They're not Windows Vista bugs!

Media Player Classic and foobar2000 are badly programmed!

Edited by franzon

They're not Windows Vista bugs!

Media Player Classic and foobar2000 are badly programmed!

4-6 aren't vistas fault but i blame vista for 1 as it happens not just in foobar2000 or MPC but in Office 2007 among other applications or just at random with nothing open at all.

Also -- if MPC and foobar2000 are badly programed what'd be an example of a well-programed video and audio player?

I've noticed that my downloads folder in my User's folder has a normal (not blue) icon now. I can recall it beeing a blue folder with a green arrow pointing down (and the 16x16 icon beeing just a blue folder).

windows DVD maker wont run for me...it'll open up, allow me to add a video clip, but when i click "next" it will crash...this happens on both my computers running RTM, and doesnt only happen with avi, but also a WMV i created in movie maker...

untitledel0.jpg

transferring over wireless is painfully slow, approx 1.3mb/sec, i used to get approx 2.3mb/sec when transferring from xp to xp, but xp to vista is alot slower.

Same here, wireless transfers are very very slow. Especially when transferring a single file that is a few gigs. I don't have any problems doing this from an WinXP laptop over wireless.

My Landrive which uses a Samba server works fine from XP but Vista can see it but as soon as it tries to read the directory structure it crashes explorer.

And yes i change the authentication level LMTP or whatever it is called.

Yea that sounds like hardware problems. I have been running Vista for over 3 weeks. I have a few probles 1 is Ati drivers suck but its cause there beta. 2 Some of my programs and older games do not work but that's expected cause of DX10. thats really it all other drivers work fine on my Hp pavilion Dv5000 CTO.

How about you all get the legal copies of the OS when it comes out and stop using hacked/patched versions. Most of these problems might be exactly because of that.

Ridiculous.

Lol your Ridiculous. Get a life.

How about you all get the legal copies of the OS when it comes out and stop using hacked/patched versions. Most of these problems might be exactly because of that.

Ridiculous.

if u font have something constructive to say... just keep it!

if u font have something constructive to say... just keep it!

Well it's constructive, get a legal copy and you won't have bugs :)

Btw, I'll keep my fonts thanks. Hahahahah.

A large proportion of users, like myself, are using the fully legal, RTM copies provided by Microsoft via Connect...thankyou very bloody much!

I'm just kiddin' a bit. LOL. I know it's been out for a while and available for subscription users.

Ridiculous.

how about you go somewhere else with that comment.... can i say jealous?