Vista RTM Bugs Thread

ok, back to bugs...

I found one in the Speech Recognition... playing solitare, it still doesn't "DEALSPACE"... Or... at least I can't get it to do it. I've even did the "Show numbers" and then tried that way, and it even picks up that I gave that command...

Other than that.... pretty neat.

XPGoD

o.O Ive always wanted to see the piracy argument end that way.

Anyway, I have the small com surrogate and rundll bugs, I had those since RC1. The two that are really major for me is, for some reason whenever I right-click icons (files or folders), explorer crashes and restarts. Its a major pain. <<fixed- It was a conflict with poweriso>>

Also, readyboot still doesn't work for me. Gives me the rundll error message.

Edited by AngelicRaver

No offense but I don't see why this thread even exists. Alot of you were, I am assuming, apart of the Vista Beta. Why is it now all of a sudden people are reporting bugs? I haven't seen this much bug reporting DURING the testing. But when it hits RTM people start coming out and reporting. Makes no sense. :ermm:

Well...

I realize that I have beta drivers for my video card and motherboard chipset. (6600 GT OC and Abit NF8. Once we get the final drivers all of this crap will be gone.

I am fortunate that even the beta drivers are working for me..I'm lucky. I did have some random crashing at first. Seemed to happen when one of my drives powered down. So I set all the power settings to performance and now I do not crash at all. Perhaps some of you can try that?

Vista is beautiful. I think it's a masterpiece.

Good luck!

Amino

I have one big bug on my laptop.

No matter what it will not boot. Not from the CD to install, not after trying an upgrade from XP and starting after the copy to hard disk that way. After the green bar boot screen a black screen shows with the mouse cursor, then the system shuts off - no blue screen to be had even when disabling auto restart.

The last driver to load with boot logging on is fastfat.sys

It's been this way all along.

I have as close to zero problems as is possible on my desktop though.

Critical vista RTM bug that I found

Today, I was working on IE7, I have a folder in my d:\ drive by the name files, here I have copied my "My documents" folder from Windows XP which is shared with Windows Vista. So both uses same folder for "Documents". In d:\files I also have my roboform passwords saved & many more files

Today, when I selected tools->delete browsing history, there I selected "Delete all" & then checked the popup which came to be "Delete add-on data" this wiped out all the files under d:\files. All zip, doc, jpg files.

Good thing I had a backup, & recovered a few using undelete software. If u r using Vista RTM & IE 7 don't select to delete add-ons data

No offense but I don't see why this thread even exists. Alot of you were, I am assuming, apart of the Vista Beta. Why is it now all of a sudden people are reporting bugs? I haven't seen this much bug reporting DURING the testing. But when it hits RTM people start coming out and reporting. Makes no sense. :ermm:

because you cant report them anymore :shifty:

Critical vista RTM bug that I found

Today, I was working on IE7, I have a folder in my d:\ drive by the name files, here I have copied my "My documents" folder from Windows XP which is shared with Windows Vista. So both uses same folder for "Documents". In d:\files I also have my roboform passwords saved & many more files

Today, when I selected tools->delete browsing history, there I selected "Delete all" & then checked the popup which came to be "Delete add-on data" this wiped out all the files under d:\files. All zip, doc, jpg files.

Good thing I had a backup, & recovered a few using undelete software. If u r using Vista RTM & IE 7 don't select to delete add-ons data

i have used that option and didnt loose any files :unsure: and I have D as well

i was able to reproduce the bug

In the \files folder, i have saved my Roboform data files & passwords as\ files\roboform & document folder is in \files\document. I guess since roboform is an add-on for IE, it deletes it's data (passwords) but also deleted my documents files

- Network dropping bug is very common, has been reported and the only thing you can do is wait for NVIDIA driver updates or from whatever vendor your NIC/Chipset is :)

Most of the "bugs" your describe are because of your drivers, WAIT for official RTM drivers to come out, this will fix a LOT of bugs. And make sure you do have the latest BIOS and also have the latest firmware on your router.

Regards

How about you all get the legal copies of the OS when it comes out and stop using hacked/patched versions. Most of these problems might be exactly because of that.

Ridiculous.

how about almost every college student/staff and some highschool in the US can get a FREE copy of Vista Business RTM X86 or X64 from their school via MSDNAA. At the school i went to they got it on DEC 6th to give out and will give you up to 3 keys.

btw the "Bill Gates" iso and the one from msdnaa is exactly the same size.

so i think now everyone can stop crying about poeple having illegal copies

Not sure if this is a bug or not but I just installed my x64 version of Vista Business and the thing won't stop crashing. It seems entirely random when it occurs but each time a little square forms aroudn the cursor and has like lines running along it. I can't do anything but restart it. This doesn't seem to happen in safemode though but I am using all the drivers that are preloaded so I have no idea whats going o.

Spec wise:

ECS CGM1-M Mobo

1 gb ddr2

pata 250 gb hd

geforce 6100 (onboard)

InsaneNutter

Regarding missing Favorites links...

Did you delete the "Links" folder in your user directory? That's what is displayed in the "Favorites" pane.

Standby issue is driver or BIOS related, possibly video driver.

Flickering and other problems you mentioned in MCE are all video driver issues.

windows DVD maker wont run for me...it'll open up, allow me to add a video clip, but when i click "next" it will crash...this happens on both my computers running RTM, and doesnt only happen with avi, but also a WMV i created in movie maker...

untitledel0.jpg

Does this happen in Windows Movie Maker too? also do you have Nero 7 Installed?

transferring over wireless is painfully slow, approx 1.3mb/sec, i used to get approx 2.3mb/sec when transferring from xp to xp, but xp to vista is alot slower.

I can also confirm this, useing a wireless card with a broadcom chipset.

How about you all get the legal copies of the OS when it comes out and stop using hacked/patched versions. Most of these problems might be exactly because of that.

Ridiculous.

How about you have a read up on the net current ways to get a LEGAL copy of vista then come back and edit your post. :p

- Network dropping bug is very common, has been reported and the only thing you can do is wait for NVIDIA driver updates or from whatever vendor your NIC/Chipset is :)

I hope your right :) im glad its not just me lol

Not sure if this is a bug or not but I just installed my x64 version of Vista Business and the thing won't stop crashing. It seems entirely random when it occurs but each time a little square forms aroudn the cursor and has like lines running along it. I can't do anything but restart it. This doesn't seem to happen in safemode though but I am using all the drivers that are preloaded so I have no idea whats going o.

Not really sure what could be causing that, try installing the latest Nvidia drivers for your grapics card and see if it still happens.

I can also confirm to fix the "Fav links don?t work" bug and "Games Explorer" bug restore the shortcut icons on shortcuts and they shoud be ok again, work for me anywa:):)

I'll try posting without attracting flame bait, Which is oh so common on the Vista forums here.

I think that by January 30th most of your problems if not all of them will go away. Most of your problems are NVidia's fault for lack of certified working drivers. The others are related to Nero apparently (the rundll crashes among other things - Google "COM Surrogate Nero Vista").

As Brandon said, Something must have deleted the Links folder or its contents - I always had my favorite links in place in RC2 as well as on RTM. Not likely to be a OS bug, Perhaps down to the choice of software - have you used any cleaning software such as CCleaner perhaps?

Same goes to the unnamed Start Menu items - Both are named here as Disk Defragmenter and Windows Easy Transfer.

All in all, With a tad more driver support, You should not have many of these issues.

I've been having problems with the audio system simply dying. Can't play music, system sounds won't go, and it generally behaves like there's no soundcard installed. (Despite it being there in the controls.)

I have to reboot to resolve it.

I figure I'll lay the blame on Creative for this. They're way behind in drivers.

Ok

Here is the ultimate wierdness.

Vista Ultimate x64 RTM - legal version

IE , opera and Microsoft Outlook have suddenly stop accessing the internet.

the x64 version of IE still works, My power radio in the sidebar still works.

System shows no driver conflict. Detect and repair showed no problems.

I reinstalled Opera and now it will not even load.

Evertime I close IE and outlook and opera I would get a message program not working. The only thing I did was install the Nvidia driver update. This update really su**ed, I rolled back to a prior date but nothing. I am baffled.

x64 works fine. No problem Any ideas out there????