Interest in PS3 fading?

I work in IT at a company where most of us are 30-ish and the last couple of months I've seen half a dozen 360's bought. In our crowd, it's the highly sought after item. Especially Gears of War is bringing a lot of them here online to play with coworkers. No one talks about the PS3. No one talks about the Wii either but I assume it's the younger crowd going for that.

The PS3 is still impossible to find in my city. And it's still selling for above-retail prices (approx. $900-1100 for the 60gb which costs $659.99 CAD).

The biggest issue I see is that 90% of the people who grab a PS3 are selling it.. And I just find it strange that there hasn't been as many individuals who wish to keep one for themselves waiting out in the cold for hours.

Yep, interest is definitely fading where I live - no ones buying them here..

oh wait...I live in Europe - wont be out until march :s

MadFerIt2006 - I seriously doubt its 90%

This isn't meant to start a flame war, so lets keep it civil, but I was just curious what the PS3 situation is like in your area. Here in Victoria, Canada, interest seems to be fading. They had 3 on the shelves of my local Future Shop the other day. This was about at 8pm and they had put 6 of them out that morning. The EB Games across the street was getting a shipment of 5 yesterday and he said they hadn't seen much interest in them. In contrast they are getting constant calls about the Wii, and even people lining up every morning in case they get a shipment in. Seems since the Ebay prices have dropped, there isn't as much "interest" in the PS3 around these parts. Is it just a fluke in my area, or is it the same in other areas? I was shocked to see PS3's on the shelf at this time a year, especially with the limited supplies. This tells me that people aren't all that interested in the PS3 and the initial sell outs were just to hardcore Sony fans and Ebayers.

Are you ****ing serious? I'm in the Surrey area and I've been looking around for them and haven't been able to find any places that aren't sold out. :|

What I find funny here, is that in England, people think it's "cool" that the PS3 is selling out everywhere. They think they've sold millions, which we all know isn't true. It's a shame people are so ignorant.

I was at Gamestop the other day, they had a line of people waiting for their truck to arrive carrying more Wiis. And just while talking to me the guy got 4 phone calls about the Wii, and one about the 360 HD-DVD drive and GoW.

He said nobody calls about the PS3.

my walmart got 33 wiis in and there was a line of 33 people who waited 11 hours to get them.

• 2 weeks later...

My local EBGames got 5 in yesterday. As of tonight, they still had 4 (all the 60gig). In contrast, the Wii's sell out as soon as they get them in. People have been lining up starting at 4am every morning. By opening time, there is a line-up of over 30 people. This is every day even if they say they don't think they will be getting any that day. It will be interesting to see if this continues after Christmas.

I'm interested to see who is buying the Wii is it parents rushing out to buy it for their kids so they tend sell out quickly? Or is it simply people who missed it after release.

I can't speak for anybody else or any other area but in San Antonio I've seen PS3's in a lot of the major big box stores...

I'm interested to see who is buying the Wii is it parents rushing out to buy it for their kids so they tend sell out quickly? Or is it simply people who missed it after release.

I think that's exactly what is it. As much as they say that the older demo is what they want, little kids that begg their parents for game systems is still a huge demo, especially around Christmas time, and with the price of the WII and games that not only look like a lot of fun for kids but parents as well, I'd imagine the WII is going to be the hottest gaming console this Christmas...

I don't know that the WII will win out in total numbers in the long run, but with their profit margin, and their dominance in the hand held market, they are sitting pretty....

Spookie, you go the Krazyhouse in Liverpool? I go there :D

in my area in Atlanta, alot more people ask about the Wii yes, but it's mostly parents and college-aged teenage boys that are asking for it...pretty much the usual bunch of people who play/buy video games. Nobody asks about the ps3 as much anymore because I think most people understand the stock will be low for a long time so it's no point in wasting time. However when we do get PS3s they sell out within the hour always.

It's easier for alot more people to get Wiis and line up for them because IMO Nintendo was purposedly planning to have most of them sold on certain sundays so everybody knew this and everybody would gather on that day. There's no way in the world that every retail chain just happened to have 20+ Wiis per store and everybody decided to sell them on the same day which is what happened on these last 2 Sundays, that's all Nintendo to me.

that said, it's definately more people asking about the Wii.

There were 2 on the shelf at the local Future Shop, tons of accessories and such. Didn't look like anyone was interested, everyone was over by the Xbox or the Wii.

they are selling here in omaha, but there isnt a mad dash for them like the wii. I get phone calls all day about the wii and people walking up and asking if we have them. It looks to me like most people either had converted to the 360 or are waiting on the wii

There were 2 on the shelf at the local Future Shop, tons of accessories and such. Didn't look like anyone was interested, everyone was over by the Xbox or the Wii.

Ofcourse they were :sleep:

Oh please. Is it that hard to believe that non-hardcore PS gamers are actually not interested in the PS3 over what else is out there?

-Spenser

Oh please. Is it that hard to believe hes not just making crap up, because hes a hardcore X360 gamer?

Oh please. Is it that hard to believe hes not just making crap up, because hes a hardcore X360 gamer?

Uhh, yeah, it is hard, considering he's not the only one saying PS3's aren't selling.

-Spenser

You are really turning into the next 'Apple Fanboy'. :(

I was planning on buying a PS3 just for Blu-Ray, but now I'd rather spent twice the money on a stand-alone player just because i think Sony's a joke.

( This is not a fanboy comment, every product in my house is made by sony ... Even the teapot! )

Well here in the Dominican Republic the Wii is receiving a lot of attention from kids. My little brother and all his buddies want it, and so do all the little kids I've seen. However, among my peers, most people find it a ridiculous concept for a console. I myself want a Wii for Zelda and Smash, but most of my friends want the 360 or the PS3. Those are both receiving a lot of attention, but they seem to believe the PS3 is MUCH more powerful. I tell them its not, but they are convinced. How much? Well, there's only 2 in stock in a store..I think the only in the entire city :p Well, they have been selling for $1500 and $2500 US for the 20gb and 60gb and it has SOLD. 360s are widely available but not that many people getting'em..

We have a few PS3's right now in my Future Shop where I work, and all of them didn't even sell out, meanwhile we sold like 15 360's (yesterday) and of course all the Wii's when they come in.