Wii Internet Channel Released!

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Oper...2nd&id=6284

Nintendo UK has confirmed that the Opera browser will be coming to Wii?s all over the continent on December the 22nd. The forecast channel just launched so it seems Nintendo is keen to give everyone a very merry Christmas.

?In addition to providing innovative and exciting new ways to play, Wii also offers further services and entertainment for all the family. This newest Wii Menu Channel is just the latest example of how we are doing this? says Nintendo of Europe Marketing Director, Laurent Fischer. ?Our software brings the power and reach of the Internet to the hottest video game system available,? says Scott Hedrick, Executive Vice President, Devices at Opera Software. ?Wii?s unique interface adds a new dimension to our browser, making it a useful tool that the whole family will enjoy operating with ease.?

Nintendo also shed some light on the cost of the browser when it is fully launched in March. The final version of the browser will be available in March, 2007 for free. After June the browser will be able to purchase from the Wii Shop Channel for 500 points, which is very reasonable indeed.

Nintendo also confirmed the browser will support flash, there is no news yet on an Australian date for the browser, but we'll be bugging Nintendo for the information shortly.

Very interested as well.

I'm curious though. If you grab that "full version" of the browser in March, will you have to pay for it in June if you already have it? Or is it only for those who grab a Wii after that date or haven't downloaded the channel yet?

No, you have to pay for it regardless of when you downloaded it originally.

i thought nintendo/opera said would be free before a certain date then if u get it after that ud have to pay...

Nothing I've seen says that. Just that anyone who gets it before June gets it free.

The final version of the Opera browser will be available at the end of March 2007, and will be free for all Wii owners to download through the end of June 2007. After June, users who haven't already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points.

Source

Can't get any more official than that.

The final version of the Opera browser will be available at the end of March 2007, and will be free for all Wii owners to download through the end of June 2007. After June, users who haven't already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points.

Source

Free until June 2007, sorry.

excuse me but the browser is FREE to donwload untill june, after that as it states here .

( After June, users who haven't already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points)

witch means if you alreasy own it why would you have to pay to redownload it i mean you Pay so many points to download the VC games you pay before you download cause ya cant download untill ya pay so if you have already downloaded the browser then you already have it owned it is after june those who have yet to download it and or new users who just gota Wii will have to pay for it. you only Pay 1 time so the FREE is 1 time thing and you shouldant need to pay for it since you already own it

Source

Free until June 2007, sorry.

Still not seeing where it says everyone must pay.

"free for all Wii owners to download through the end of June 2007. After June, users who haven't already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points."

Still not seeing where it says everyone must pay.

"free for all Wii owners to download through the end of June 2007. After June, users who haven't already downloaded the Opera browser can go to the Wii Shop Channel to download it for 500 Wii Points."

Thank you for makeing that so dang clear, the browser is FREE to all user who download it Prior to the june 2007 Date, at witch time after that anyone who has not got the browser will not get it FREE as they will have to go to the shop channel to buy it.

Translation: Upon its official release in March 2007, the Opera browser will be free for everyone until the end of June 2007. Starting July 1, 2007 (since this deal ends at "the end of June") anyone who has NOT downloaded the Opera browser prior to July 1st will have to pay for it.

If anything, downloading the beta version of Opera (which will be available tomorrow) might not count towards downloading the official version in March (so if you still have the beta come July 1st, you might have to pay for the official version of Opera), but I'm sure Nintendo will send out an email reminding everyone who participated in the beta to get the official release when it comes out.

I didn't think that was so hard to understand, as it's worded clearly above by Nintendo. :sleep:

Well the first thing i am gonna try when i get the browser tommrow is go to youtube and try to play videos, my PSP as of all of them have Flash 6 support but youtube uses 7 or later for ther video player, i have seen the playstation 3 browser play them so it be nice if the opera Wii browser supports the latest flash for youtube video playback and best flash support

The Opera web browser is available as a free beta download on the Wii Shop Channel... in Europe at least.

I'm using my Wii to post this. The browser is very basic and still has some bugs, but is fast and properly displays javascript and flash.

:D

You do realise that also the wii isnt suppsoed to be a do everything machine right? The browser was designed for short stints. Not an all day experience.

Also the wii is designed for 480i tvs and sonies is designed for 1080i and 720p .

But of course you dont take that into account.

Basic premises is poor.

The bar should be at the top, it needs more options and less big bubbley crap.

It's meant to be a very basic and easy to use browser for your TV. This isn't a power browser. It's not going to replace Firefox on your PC or something.