The PRE game fun...

Anyone noticed that the www.vanishingpoint.com page now has a link to wineflower.com

That website is what we call "OOG" (out of game). It existed long before our game was started.

If you do a Whois, you can tell it's not related to our game because the servers are different, the registration is different, etc.

Registrant:

Vanishing Point

7920 Scott Ave

Liberty, MO 64068 US

Domain Name: VANISHINGPOINT.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Vanishing Point

7920 Scott Ave

Liberty, MO 64068 US

816-305-2188 fax: 999 999 9999

Record expires on 28-May-2013.

Record created on 29-May-1998.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS15.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.190.8

NS16.WORLDNIC.COM 205.178.189.8

Keep looking - you'll all be hooked on real Alternate Reality Games eventually. :cool:

Would MS and 42 not have looked into the name a bit better as to ensure it was clear to all, vanishingpoint.com is just to close and the product could easily be tied, had anyone here heard of vanishingpoint until this game, I don't think so - good publicity for them is it not hey! Still I would like more info on what they have up there sleeve as all of us will be carrying one in 2007.

Can any one who had a laptop recall any conversations with Aaron that may assist ??

Do AMD or Acer know anything or is this just an MS added, bouncing of the original list of people to get a laptop for review ?? Think back to your blogs or conversations with these people any clues ?

I am trying to read what is written on the scrapbook. One of the things I found is "Space Time" (although of course Im not quite sure)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Even Euler is mentioned in the Wiki article:

"A compact manifold can be turned into a spacetime if, and only if, its Euler characteristic is 0."

And I think this is the cone:

Einstein-Minkowski Spacetime

mink-st.gif

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/modules/LIG.../minkowski.html

Let's try to read more of it...

2002075785263474129_rs.jpg

Edited by Zyphrax

Back to the "stars in the sky" and "sand on the beach" thing...both of those are mentioned in the story of Abram/Abraham in the Bible (or Torah for you devout Jews), talking about the number of Abraham's descendents.

I didn't think anyone had mentioned that, and thought I would throw it into the mix.

I think we should start with the green text

I think the first green text starts with

"Taper Time".

aka spacetime

Taper Time would make sense. Because a taper is a cone narrowing towards a point (just like the vanishing point)

Brook Taylor

First to use the term "Vanishing Point"

Created 'Taylor' expansions

Just another Math guy to throw into the mix.

Here's a neat link for the origins of different math words, neat if your a nerd. =) All previously mentioned people are in there.

http://members.xoom.alice.it/luigigobbi/so.../of_Mathematics

I dunno about you but I just get html...

Back to the "stars in the sky" and "sand on the beach" thing...both of those are mentioned in the story of Abram/Abraham in the Bible (or Torah for you devout Jews), talking about the number of Abraham's descendents.

I didn't think anyone had mentioned that, and thought I would throw it into the mix.

Yes, it's the first thing I thought about when I first read that page ... though I'm not sure it's tied to the game at all (or it could be a play on words).

Watch times:

10:51

9:11

The 3rd and 4th "watches" may not be watches. They look like pocket sundials or astrolobe or compass -ts really difficult to tell - at least the one with the gold and silver lid does... (the 3rd one that she closed and puts in the box.) The 4th one is very ornate and I cannot tell what is in the very center. It too may not even be a watch or is the guts to the 3rd one...

On the pad: 11:09:10

i'm getting in the game late but....

on the unFiction board they mention that

www.vanishingpointgame.com/rpiiajsuy/

takes you to the biography page. Now why would they do this without a reason. my belief is that they did this to throw us off track. The rpiiajsuy may be scrambled but i can not figure it out. It says that this person had a 3.14159 GPA so i figured that one word could be "Pi" which would let riajsuy remain, then you could pull out an "is" and you would be left with rajuy you could also pull out "a" and be left with rjuy. of course "Pi is a Jury" does not make sense and does not work.

I could be completely wrong, but why would they add two of the same page, since it doesn't seem to link to the bio page.

sorry if this has already be disproven, but i really didn't want to go through all 73 pages.

http://laughingsquid.com/microsofts-vanishing-point-game/

I just found this, appeared to be well organized summary of the game so far with nice photos of the box. Although, the post seems to say that the game will end on the 8th, which seems unlikely considering the other 11 countdowns and the fact that this is preawareness, as they called it.

Edit: This might also come in handy; now, or in the future. http://scobleizer.com/2006/12/26/microsoft...t-ces-bloghaus/

Edited by Accipitridae

There are matchbooks on the room service tray. I've seen some high-res pictures from the movie on here. Knowing the hotel she's in may be useful.

They are definitely not Bellagio Matchbooks-

Edited by gliscameria

i'm getting in the game late but....

on the unFiction board they mention that

www.vanishingpointgame.com/rpiiajsuy/

takes you to the biography page. Now why would they do this without a reason.

Interesting questions.

We're not sure either but the original suduko puzzle grid was modified shortly after finding it. The second version, after ymgrv solved the numbers, resulted in finding /biography/. (Both version are posted in neowin but I don't remember which page of the thread it is found). It was noted that while many of the letters (and the number on the bottom of the grid) were different between the two puzzles, the > and < signs were the same. So someone re-solved using the same method on the original puzzle (put the letters back over the numbers, use the numbers at the bottom, 1 for each square, replace the number with the corresponding letter) and the answer to the original suduko was rpiiajsuy. That seemed like a nonsense word, but /rpiiajsuy/ led to the same page as /biography/ at the time.

SPEC: Maybe they wanted the word to be more recognizeable so they changed it? or the first one was a bookmark and they didn't think it would be found before the real one was in place? (we all moved so fast on these, long before most of the puzzle boxes were received). Who knows why it changed, but it was definately easier to see the correct answer from the second suduko puzzle. And made more sense in the game play.

There are matchbooks on the room service tray. I've seen some high-res pictures from the movie on here. Knowing the hotel she's in may be useful.

I thought they were matchbooks also, at first. But after viewing on the High Res movie, I'm convinced they are little chocolate squares - the labels match those of the crumpled colored wrappers on the nightstand. They don't match Ghiradelli (unless they have recently changed their wrapping) but the size is right.

I've got some other online friends (who are chocoholics) looking at the wrappers to see if it jogs their memories.

To correct my earlier statement... the red thing she puts into the box looks like a screwdriver (not a dart)

I think we have to figure out what is on the scrapbook.

Thusfar I think it is:

"Taper time"

aka spacetime

Spacetime seems important..

I'm still curious about the odd pixelation at 00:34. It seems to correspond unreasonably well with the word "Timeless." The pixelation begins at the beginning of the word and ends at the end of the word almost perfectly. I don't know very much about compression or video editing, but is there some way of looking into a possible hidden message or puzzle?

Yes, the spelling was corrected. Along with the spelling of Australia and circumambulation itself. The misspelled letters from each word were N-I-A-C. We still don't know if this has meaning or not.

right... there were four corrections. the added/removed letters spell NIAC, which could be some company involved in the space elevator

space elevator, now your being silly. =)

could the letters corespond to numbers? N=14, I=9, A=1,C=3 14913 or something completely different?

also, http://www.vanishingpoint.com/ just strikes me as being so strange and with the link to WineFlower. Has any one filled out all of the question fields just for kicks? (im personaly not going to-I cant afford to have something implated into me =).) but then again, why in the world would ms use google earth to show a location? ok, so maybe its not in-game. but some one let us know what happens when you fill out the fields. -edit sorry, this is apparently not in-game. still weard.

Edited by dogfood