Apple: 802.11n Upgrade - $1.99

Apple spokesman Lynn Fox has confirmed to News.com that Apple will be charging an upgrade fee in the amount of $1.99 for Core 2 Duo iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and Mac Pro users who have 802.11n capable chipsets. Users who purchase an Airport Extreme base station will not have to pay for the upgrade.

An Apple service document obtained by MacRumors had previously indicated that the fee would be $4.99, however Apple may have decided to cut the cost in reaction to strong negative reaction to the fee.

Apple said it is required under generally accepted accounting principles to charge customers for the software upgrade. "The nominal distribution fee for the 802.11n software is required in order for Apple to comply with generally accepted accounting principles for revenue recognition, which generally require that we charge for significant feature enhancements, such as 802.11n, when added to previously purchased products," Fox said in a statement.

The explanation for the fee is reminiscent of an explanation previously given to iLounge. However, the explanation does not fit well with many of Apple's previous practices. For example, in May Apple updated iWeb to version 1.1 which added a host of commonly-requested features at no charge.

Source: Macrumors

That Sarbanes-Oxley Act sure is strange. I'm sure if Apple could've supplied it for free via Software Update then they would've.

Whatever -- People will get over it.

A real joke. If there wasn't this stupid law, we wouldn't need to pay.

Anyway, not that it's really expensive, but if they lowered the price that much it means they really don't care about getting this money or not.

I still dont see how they cant make it 1c.

As someone already pointed out, since they have to charge something, then they have to charge enough to make up for the costs of actually collecting the money. Credit card processing and other accounting related things cost money, so this is probably how they decided to at least break even on it.

But they HAVE all the people in accounting and credit card related contracts already doing such, it can be regarded as just a little "extra" as perhaps "punishment" for not stating the actual facts of their product they have been selling. These people purchased their products, they have PAID for what they asked and paid for, it is not the consumers fault, and so the cost should not be on the consumer. Charging more than zero is already more than what ethically would be reasonable.

These people purchased their products, they have PAID for what they asked and paid for, it is not the consumers fault, and so the cost should not be on the consumer. Charging more than zero is already more than what ethically would be reasonable.

What in the bloody hell are you talking about? People paid for, and recieved, 802.11 B/G. They were not promised, nor was it ever advertised as 802.11 N. If a customer is happy with what they have, then they don't HAVE to upgrade. If they want to upgrade, then they have to cover the costs of distribution, which includes the cost of processing their credit card.

At least it's better than $4.99 - although I don't think N is necessary for me at the moment anyway, so this doesn't affect me. So far all I use wireless networking for is accessing my modem.

You'd have to be stupid to pay Apple for something that should be free. The funniest thing is that if you install Windows on your Mac, it works at 802.11n with NO EXTRA COSTS!

Well, that's Microsoft's financial decision. Again, I don't know how many times this needs to be said, Apple is doing this out of legal responsibility.

You'd have to be stupid to pay Apple for something that should be free. The funniest thing is that if you install Windows on your Mac, it works at 802.11n with NO EXTRA COSTS!

It's a law.

what are the advantages of the little n?

im not that a network guy so i dont really know.

In a nutshell increased range and better streaming of videos I believe.

My God, really?! :woot: In that case, I'll go and buy a copy of Windows!