Apple: 802.11n Upgrade - $1.99

Well according to the Wall Street Journal:

That's an excuse, counter accounting experts and officials at the body that sets accounting rules, known as generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, for public and private companies. Rather, Apple is choosing to make customers pay so that it receives a particular accounting treatment it considers most favorable to it, they say.
If Apple had given the enhancement away free, Apple's auditors could have required it to restate revenue for that period and could possibly have required Apple to start in the future to defer all the revenue from computer sales until all such enhancements are shipped, this person said. That would have had a devastating impact on Apple.

what about other countries, like canada, where we don't have that law? why should we pay?

imo

the law affects apple, not the consumer. so if apple is based in a place were they are subject to that law, then they have to put it on all their things since everything is coming in / out of the area were the law is based

so my guess would be yes

but there'll be a crack released on the internet like 2 seconds after it's available so you wouldn't have to pay anyways if you choose to go that route

but thing is, will it be associated with your mac or if you format or something you will have to repay the 2$ every time you want to download it?

You.. won't need to download it more than once. ??

You'd have to be stupid to pay Apple for something that should be free. The funniest thing is that if you install Windows on your Mac, it works at 802.11n with NO EXTRA COSTS!

Sorry... I'd rather not have that security hole known as windows on my mac...

You'd have to be stupid to pay Apple for something that should be free. The funniest thing is that if you install Windows on your Mac, it works at 802.11n with NO EXTRA COSTS!

:rofl: This is somewhat of an actual firmware update, not just a driver update. So no, buddy, if you install Windows on your Mac it still won't work. Not to mention, even if you were correct, that if one didn't own Windows (which many long-time Mac users do not) then one would have to pay $200 as opposed to $2. Nice try, though.

Sorry... I'd rather not have that security hole known as windows on my mac...

The Flat Earth Society asks you to join their well-respected organisation. :laugh:

:rofl: This is somewhat of an actual firmware update, not just a driver update. So no, buddy, if you install Windows on your Mac it still won't work. Not to mention, even if you were correct, that if one didn't own Windows (which many long-time Mac users do not) then one would have to pay $200 as opposed to $2. Nice try, though.

Yet I read that some Mac users had been able to access 802.11n through Windows using the D-Link driver... but Mac fans do exagerate.

You.. won't need to download it more than once. ??

I wasn't thinking straight.. if it's a firmware update then of course no need to download more than once :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys serious? Its a firmware update, something that is given out free with every single program. Apple doesnt have to cover their legal issues by charging you guys 1.99, how is it that every other company doesnt have to face these same legal problems and charge people to update something that is already in what they own. I cant beleive you guys dont see that they're charging you 1.99 for something that is free and you guys are still saying "omg its cheaper than 4.99 oh good golly" I wouldnt care if they charge me 1 cent, its still more than what it costs. It's not the amount, its the principle. If you let them charge you for free stuff that should be given for free becuase they feed you some bs about legal issues then you guys are pretty dense.

Dont you guys get it? They are charging you money, no matter how much, to unlock a potential that is already on your computer becuase... they can! And instead of getting angry about it, you guys are going "oh how nice, 1.99 instead of 4.99" and defending them.

Seriously, you guys should be angry that they're charging you money for something that is free to them.

I would like you guys to explain it to me how it is the consumer's fault that Apple wishes to receive the favorable accounting option by passing a cost to the consumer. They're making you pay so they get it easier? And you guys are ok with that???

Firstly firmware updates are primarily bug fixes and minor updates.

This is quite a big upgrade from g to n if you know anything about wireless.

If you want to get angry about it go ahead but the rest of us have more important things to concern ourselves with.

Besides if you don't want to pay for it then you can download from newsgroups.