Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

calm down...

if you don't want to use vista, you're allowed to downgrade again, and your xp license is "valid" again... in fact it's valid all the time, the first poster messed this up... you're misunderstanding the eula, it only says, you're not allowed to keep using the license you upgraded from...if you upgraded... downgrade again and you're ok to use it again... not the nicest style, but that's how it's been with xp sp2 too.

Internal Storm has it right !

AND AS TO THIS POST... I believe what it's saying is:

1) if you install Vista ontop of XP as an upgrade, the XP key will be deactivated, meaning you can't install it on another computer as long as Vista is activated.

2) if you uninstall Vista, you can then again install the XP and activate it.

3) Microsoft offers phone activation for a reason, call them and they will make it happen

Enough of this childish "this makes me want to pirate" non sense... This won't affect most of you anyways as you won't be using an upgrade disc, and if you are, read the above and become informed before posting rubbish.

And when does XP support end?

I'll be upgrading when SP1 comes out thank you very much.

2011 as i recall from a NW news story not too long ago; so you have lots of time :p

calm down...

if you don't want to use vista, you're allowed to downgrade again, and your xp license is "valid" again... in fact it's valid all the time, the first poster messed this up... you're misunderstanding the eula, it only says, you're not allowed to keep using the license you upgraded from...if you upgraded... downgrade again and you're ok to use it again... not the nicest style, but that's how it's been with xp sp2 too.

Well, that's good to hear.

AND AS TO THIS POST... I believe what it's saying is:

1) if you install Vista ontop of XP as an upgrade, the XP key will be deactivated, meaning you can't install it on another computer as long as Vista is activated.

2) if you uninstall Vista, you can then again install the XP and activate it.

3) Microsoft offers phone activation for a reason, call them and they will make it happen

Yep. I think this is it. You can't have them both installed at the same time, which seems fair enough

From Vista?s EULA found here (PDF) :

13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligiblefor the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

The story from tomcoyote.org is total FUDNo where in the Microsoft PDF that they refer to does it say they old license key will be invalidatedb>.

Although it does say you can no longer use the software you have upgraded from - The actual text in section 13 is quoted above.

Assuming it is a valid option people should then continue to upgrade from their old win 3.1 windows installation and then stop using win 3.1!:):)

I really hope this is not true I'm running a full copy on this machine but I know many who are upgrading. If it holds to be true I'm sure there will be a lot of OEM copies sold this year. :)

I'm sorry, am I missing something?

I always believed this was how upgrade licensing works. Once you upgrade from v2 to v3, your license for v2 no longer exists and you are licensed for v3. You don't suddenly own 2 licenses for different versions.

Yes, you may have paid for the license of Windows XP, but if you buy a discounted, Upgrade version of Vista, the assumption is you are upgrading permanently and to compensate for the lower price, they are replacing your license, invalidating your old XP one.

This statement is total baloney and shows you have no idea about Microsoft's policies.

The reason Microsoft offer a discount for upgrades is beacuse you have ALREADY paid a significant price for the window operating system development by your previous purchase, and the new (Vista) operating system is significantly based on work YOU HAVE ALREADY PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR.

Nothing whatsoever to do with "upgrading permanently to compensate for the lower price" !

This statement is total baloney and shows you have no idea about Microsoft's policies.

The reason Microsoft offer a discount for upgrades is beacuse you have ALREADY paid a significant price for the window operating system development by your previous purchase, and the new (Vista) operating system is significantly based on work YOU HAVE ALREADY PREVIOUSLY PAID FOR.

Nothing whatsoever to do with "upgrading permanently to compensate for the lower price" !

Well, why are there no upgrade versions of other major products then? I think I wasn't completely wrong, but if they were invalidating licenses/keys, then I'd be closer to being correct.

Hold EVERYTHING!

After upgrading, does Windows Vista offer an option to "uninstall" Vista and restore XP after installing Vista? Why would Windows offer an option for a function that's supposedly "illegal"?

This is pure weapons-grade BALONIUM!!!

This is bull****.. There was a source over at anandtech that had this article.. Read their comments. It has been in the EULA since Windows 95.

Don't like, go **** yourself.

The thing is, even if you read that snippet, it doesn't say anything about "invalidating" it. It's saying you "may" not use it. As in, you don't have permission to run it after you upgrade.

If you later remove vista, then you are not subject to the Vista EULA. Therefore you can use XP again. Read it numpties!

lunamonkey does make a point. to me what the eula says is that you cannot use both xp and vista at the same time. i think people are just taking it the wrong way

Well, why are there no upgrade versions of other major products then? I think I wasn't completely wrong, but if they were invalidating licenses/keys, then I'd be closer to being correct.

What other major products are you talking about here? Most companies offer upgrade licenses for their products. They don't invalidate anything. They merely say you cannot use both Vista and previous versions of Windows you upgraded from at the same time. That is completely understandable as you still own one license. Remember, you're upgrading, not buying new license.

We're going to see more of these pointless articles in days to come. Licensing, DRM, Performance... People have to write something and we all have some time to waste. Just sit back and enjoy. Everything will calm down eventually.

There is no more corporate version ala XP. Corporate versions must be validated as well from now, and for that companies use key server. I don't quite understand your question completely. You buy X-number of licenses and may use it on X number of machines. It's completely irrelevant wether or not you use 1 or 10 000 licenses you bought. Your choice.

If you're buying the upgrade version, you will face some restrictions.

An upgrade version is not cheaper because it has restrictions. An upgrade version is cheaper because they assume you already paid for a previous version.

An upgrade version is not cheaper because it has restrictions. An upgrade version is cheaper because they assume you already paid for a previous version.

i agree and i think most of you got this article wrong... it just means you cant use XP and Vista at the same time... its either or.