Vista upgrade invalidates your XP key

It does make sense from the standpoint that people are receiving a discounted price for the new OS. If people want to run two versions, then they should be using two full copies.

Upgrading does not mean you get to run the old software in addition to the new one.

As others have stated, the real problem is if you want to revert back to XP. Perhaps MS will release a trial version of Vista for the people to try, to see if they really like it.

This sucks that it happens, do they plan on changing it so it won't invalidate it?

The eula never states it will invalidate the key, it only says you are not allowed to use them together. As did all the other eulas before vista.

Well, if you're upgrading, you cant use them both. In no way does that text say that it will invalidate, its just another excuse to bash Microsoft.

I will be upgrading from 2000, personally, because i only have a crappy OEM HP disk (yes, my vista machine will be a greatly upgraded HP ;)), and by the time the disk creates one partition, installs all of the HP junk, it makes it hard to upgrade cleanly.

I'll probably install windows 2000 (which is legal, check the XP downgrade rights ;)), i'll create a 900mb partition, install 2000 on it, then do a clean vista install to the other (380-odd gb) partition. Then, i can delete the 2k installation, and use the 900mb for programs. Simple, how to get a clean install from a vista upgrade disk ;)

The eula never states it will invalidate the key, it only says you are not allowed to use them together. As did all the other eulas before vista.

(Y) Exactly right! (Y)

Well, I guess I reacted too fast. The XP Home edition EULA states the same thing:

9. UPGRADES. To use Software identified as an upgrade, you must first be licensed for the software identified by Microsoft as eligible for the upgrade. After upgrading, you may no longer use the software that formed the basis for your upgrade eligibility.

Because these statements do not mention anywhere anything about invalidating keys/licenses, they would have absolutely no right to take such actions unless they change the EULA before doing so, but you wouldn't know unless you're up to date with the MSFT-related news.

I still think that Windows 2000 was their first great OS because it's stable like a rock and XP even better for the end-users. Vista? Let's call it Millenium Edition Version 2 :p

Well, I guess I reacted too fast. The XP Home edition EULA states the same thing:

Because these statements do not mention anywhere anything about invalidating keys/licenses, they would have absolutely no right to take such actions unless they change the EULA before doing so, but you wouldn't know unless you're up to date with the MSFT-related news.

I still think that Windows 2000 was their first great OS because it's stable like a rock and XP even better for the end-users. Vista? Let's call it Millenium Edition Version 2 :p

Bingo! 100% Agree!

What are you guys ****ed about? That's why it's called upgrade, and that's why it costs less than Retail version. Hell - I thought it was common sence :rolleyes: I guess I was wrong... :rolleyes:

People never stop amazing me with their ignorance... I don't even know where to start with this post... No one nowadays does research on what they tell others, and everyone believes their statements containing false info...

So many people HATE Microsoft and don't really know all the truths behind what it is they "dislike" them for. I don't want to start up the whole Linux, Mac, Windows debate because I know it is a battle no one can win, but every OS out there has its pluses and minuses.

The statement ?Ignorance is bliss? has been taken too far, ignorance is not truth?

Please people, before exclaiming to the world the information you are telling them is true, make sure you are not exclaiming your own stupidity and personal feelings? On the flip side, don?t believe everything you read or hear, do your own research and become truly educated and not some walking talking parrot.

Microsoft has given many opportunities for people to test Vista and Office 2007 but if you choose not to take those opportunities don?t exclaim that they did you wrong.

On a side note, what is up with computer stores selling Vista and Office 2007 to customers with no knowledge of what the products are? I walked into a national chain yesterday and watched as a lady asked what OneNote was. They had to go find 4 people in the computer department just to find out that none of the employees knew what it did or what it was for, but you know what, they sold it to the poor lady. Great sales people I guess. OneNote is a great product I think, but this lady didn?t know what PowerPoint was and said she had only used Word on occasion, so I can?t imagine she really needed OneNote.

FUD sure can go a long way, I guess that is why IBM started using the tactic?

I'm sorry, am I missing something?

I always believed this was how upgrade licensing works. Once you upgrade from v2 to v3, your license for v2 no longer exists and you are licensed for v3. You don't suddenly own 2 licenses for different versions.

Same here, makes sense to me. Took me about 2 nanoseconds to work out that one - shame some of the other members on here don't have greater cognitive abilities.

It would be annoying if you can never, ever go back to XP, but it's already been made clear that is not the case.

If you part exchange your car you don't get to drive both vehicles.

Not only this doesn't make much sense, but it has to be illegal. Their licensing model is becoming way too problematic for legit users.

If it was illegal, it wouldn't have happened. But it's not illegal. If you choose to buy a discounted, upgrade edition, you have to make a compromise. Either give up your XP license, or spend a little more and get a retail copy.

This is BS. Upgrading or dual-booting doesn't invalidate your keys.

Technically or legally?

If if it doesn't technically invalidate your XP keys it may legally invalidate your keys since you would have accepted the Vista license agreement (which you read in detail, right?)