Vista readyboost?

Anyone tryed readyboost in vista yet? just read a small gamespot review and they showed readyboost being used, massive performance increase, just wondered if anyone on neowin has tried it? i havent got a spare drive to test with.

I just bought a Vista ReadyBoost Certified 1GB Corsair flash drive should arrive tomorrow I'm looking forward to trying ready boost out. I dunno how big of a difference it will make with 4GB of RAM though.

niice, gamespot seem to think the more ram you have the bigger the difference, hope thats true, really want to try it out.

I tried it on my test Vista install, it really affects the performance noticeably (on a system with 2GB of RAM and 1GB USB drive dedicated to ReadyBoost). Windows starts faster after the welcome screen, and applications (Internet Explorer, Outlook) loads almost instantly. :)

On a side note, It didn't affect Firefox startup time, still takes a bit to load like in XP.

I have 1.5GB of RAM and a 1GB flash drive I use with ReadyBoost, and I notice a quite a bit less hard-drive activity and generally smoother performance.

When I got Vista, and was using Delphi with some large projects I did experience the constant loading/whole operating systems slows to a crawl problem I used to have years ago when I only had 512MB of RAM. Since I got the flash drive it?s all been good.

However I?ve also experienced problems with it when starting the computer with the flash disk plugged in. Sometimes the OS locks up during the login stage and only continues after I pull out the flash drive. I?ve also had problems with the sidebar locking up when using ReadyBoost.

What basically it's doing, instead of paging to hard drive it does paging to flash drive. Flash drives are faster then hard drives. Now, if you have 1GB of RAM you can notice a difference. If you have 2GB+ i say to force it to memory, and disable readyBoost.

Lots of different hardware/software sites have done reviews on ReadyBoost. The only real significant impact it makes are on systems with less than 1GB of memory. In one test, it showed typical applications reduce from load times of ~12 seconds to ~3-4 seconds. In systems with >1GB of memory, the performance increase was negligable, increasing load times by milliseconds. The tests also show that typically, ReadyBoost doesnt have much impact on stuff like games or really intensive applications.

Those test leaves me "perplex" as if you notice a difference on everyday use, than it's worth it. If you don't than any tests leaves you think it's just B***s**t. these kind of features are good only if it's work for you.

how long would a flash drive expect to last under constant use with readyboost? Are they rated for a million read writes yet?

Q: Won't this wear out the drive?

A: Nope. We're aware of the lifecycle issues with flash drives and are smart about how and when we do our writes to the device. Our research shows that we will get at least 10+ years out of flash devices that we support.

http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/20.../02/615199.aspx

I read an article on an MS blog that they expect it to last up to 10 years with everyday usage with ReadyBoost, can't remember the link though but I'm sure of that they said it.

EDIT: OPaul (Y)

I've been using readyboost for months, opening apps is quicker indeed (1 Gb RAM here with 1 GB usb)

I still don't understand Gamespot's review though, how can it improve an fps? :|

ReadyBoost allows expanding the main memory size by plugging in a USB 2.0 Flash drive. Although the data transfer performance of USB 2.0 devices cannot compete with modern hard drives, access times for Flash memory are literally nonexistent, making these devices a nice and particularly cheap choice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/31/win...yboostanalyzed/

Vista comes with two mechanisms that effectively reduce the time required to launch popular applications: SuperFetch analyzes your behavior and proactively puts applications into available main memory, so they can be launched quicker. Of course this requires as much main memory as possible, which is where the second feature engages: ReadyBoost

Nice little read at Tom's

not bad.. looks like I'll have to pick up one of these drives. I've already got my page file on a separate drive, so it will be interesting to see if there's any difference.

Readyboost is a good, cheap way to speed up a mid to low end computer. I have 2GB of ram. a 1GB or 2GB stick might make a miniscule difference for me, so is it worth it? USB flash drives are cheap, though, so it's the kind of thing I'll probably slap in at some point but am in no real hurry.

When I do it, I'm going to connect it directly to the motherboard's USB header and clip it to a drive cage or something. Keep it out of sight. . .

Readyboost is a good, cheap way to speed up a mid to low end computer. I have 2GB of ram. a 1GB or 2GB stick might make a miniscule difference for me, so is it worth it? USB flash drives are cheap, though, so it's the kind of thing I'll probably slap in at some point but am in no real hurry.

When I do it, I'm going to connect it directly to the motherboard's USB header and clip it to a drive cage or something. Keep it out of sight. . .

I would say it's not worth the bother... as stated, you will have within milliseconds difference, and 2GB is plenty for the OS to work off of.

I've heard both sides of the story on this one.. although 2 gigs is plenty of ram, my system is still using over 800MB of the 4 GB page file it allocated itself. In theory you could force everything paged into memory, but I wouldn't try unless I had 4 gigs. Will you notice the difference? Well I ordered a drive to find out, as I needed a new one anyways.