Confused about Israel

Asking about this topic on a message board without having done any research is not the best way to go. You are going to get mostly biased information. I would really suggest doing some information gathering yourself especially on the history. It should be easy to find some unbiased facts. You can even start with wikipedia just don't stop there.

Exactly. The land no longer belongs to the Native Americans just as how the land Israel is on no longer belongs to the Palestinians.
Ah, but not necessarily true. As previously stated, in some cases courts have ruled that the Natives do in fact have rights to the land, and have ousted the current "owners." In another example, look at reserves. A cheeky bugger could argue that Israel is just one giant reserve :whistle:.
They did a little more then intrude...the Allies gave them portions of the land after the war and then they took the rest by force.
I don't see how that is any different from the Muslims (or whoever else) captured the land from the Jews in the first place.

To be honest, I think everyone of every religion (or atheists, for that matter) has equal claim to the land. I don't think any religious group (or group of religious groups) has the right to control land. If I wanted to live in Iraq as an Western atheist, why should a religious fundamentalist feel they have the right to kill me for being from the West and being atheist?

The real problem is religion, which -- right or wrong -- should be abolished entirely.

Asking about this topic on a message board without having done any research is not the best way to go. You are going to get mostly biased information. I would really suggest doing some information gathering yourself especially on the history. It should be easy to find some unbiased facts. You can even start with wikipedia just don't stop there.
I guess the problem is determining what is biased and what is not.

I don't see how that is any different from the Muslims (or whoever else) captured the land from the Jews in the first place.

That was a VERY long time ago, and was the Romans... not Muslims. During those times the Romans very taking everyone's land. That's hardly a valid reason for invading a country in present time.

That was a VERY long time ago, and was the Romans... not Muslims. During those times the Romans very taking everyone's land. That's hardly a valid reason for invading a country in present time.
Well, the Crusades were begun to rescue the Holy Land from the Muslims. So, at some point, the Muslims took the land from somebody.

Well, the Crusades were begun to rescue the Holy Land from the Muslims. So, at some point, the Muslims took the land from somebody.

Yes, the remains the the Roman Empire, the Byzantine Empire. But again, a VERY long time ago.

And the Crusades weren't exactly "rescuing" anyone... they killed indiscriminately where ever they went.

So I have seen a lot of literature commenting on the rift between Israel and Palestine. Why is there such animosity? Why the hatred of the Jews by the Muslims? I'll admit I'm rather ignorant of the history of that part of the world, but I get the impression from what I have read the Palestinians feel they own the land on which Israel exists (and, as I gather, is primarily Jewish).

Historically, and generally, Jews,Muslims (and Chrisitans) lived side by side in peace. 50 years of occupation by Israel has had the effect that the Jews are seen as the enemy. Personally, I hold the Zionists to blame and not the Jewish religion.

You might find it strange that after all this time, the Palestinians are still fighting for their land. They have suffered massacre after massacre by Israeli leaders, and the international community is silent when they happen, especially the "beacon" for the world, the US which has repeatedly vetoed resolutions critisizing Israel..

Not only that:

Following the adoption of the plan, Arab countries proposed to query the International Court of Justice on the competence of the General Assembly to partition a country against the wishes of the majority of its inhabitants (it would place 36% of the Arabs inside the Jewish state). This was narrowly defeated.
Territory Arab population % Arab Jewish population % Jewish Total population

Total 1,237,000 67% 608,000 33% 1,845,000

Source

Can you see the injustice here? The Palestinian population, a majority, having their land consficated, in favour of outsiders, and then 33% of the population (Jewish), being given over 50% of the land.. This isnt something easily forgotten by the Palestinians, and they will continue to fight until their international rights, and their right to their land is re-established.

I hope you take the time to read up on the history of this conflict :)

Israel is mostly jewish with a minority of palestinians citizens called here "israeli-arab".

Lets keep in mind when that the UN Mandate for a Jewish homeland cut around large areas of settlement to make Israel. There were relatively few Jews in Palestine compared to the Arab population, so the UN cut to make the Jewish homeland 52% of the land.

The population of the Jewish homeland was to have 48% Palestinian "minority." The Palestinian state was to have 48% of the land, with <10% Jewish minority.

When the war broke out, as Israel declared independence on land that was occupied by Arabs for thousands of years, many Arabs fled. Israel refused to allow them back into their lands and homes. The Arab minority in Israel today is those that did not flee.

why the controversy? the arab just don't want a jewish state in this "muslim" region.

The controversy is from Israel refusing to allow Palestinians to be free. Israel claims innocents when people commit terrorist attacks in Isreel but Israel continues to annex Palestinian land and build massive settlements of thousands of people in hope of displacing the Palestinian population. They do this, their settlements, are what has been dictated as "apartheid" because they are totally separate from the dirt poor Palestinian population. They have their own roads, services, etc, no Palestinian is allowed in.

Israel continues to do this, and will continue to do this -- annex more and more land. The UN has literally dozens and dozens of resolutions against Israel but any plans to actually do something about Israel's warcrimes is automatically veto'd by the people they control, the United States.

Israel, and Israeli groups in the United States, respond to any complaints about their human right violations in Palestinian by slandering the accuser as an "Anti-Semite." It's Israeli groups one-size-fits-all method of slander.

Israel is the first piece in Huntington's puzzle. That's all you need to know about Israel.

There, neutral and succinct.

What, exactly, does that mean? I did a Google search for Huntington's puzzle, and it turned up Huntington's disease. Are you saying the Jews are responisble for Huntington's disease and that them being the source is somehow related to Israel? :blink:

So, basically, both sides are at fault here. Both Jews and Muslims have contributed to the mess, albeit for different reasons. Tell me, though. What is the difference between a Jew and a Zionist?

What, exactly, does that mean? I did a Google search for Huntington's puzzle, and it turned up Huntington's disease. Are you saying the Jews are responisble for Huntington's disease and that them being the source is somehow related to Israel? :blink:

So, basically, both sides are at fault here. Both Jews and Muslims have contributed to the mess, albeit for different reasons. Tell me, though. What is the difference between a Jew and a Zionist?

LOL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_P._Huntington and more specifically I believe Sphinx was referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_Civilizations.

Are you posting from Tehran?

:sleep: You obviously have a hard time accepting a different opinion. Maybe you should stop making lame comments that have nothing to do with the topic :sleep: