Asteroid on collision path with Earth

TokyoKiller
Wait, 2036, Bruce Willis might be dead by then! Who will save us?? :p

Chuck Norris.

Impact

If he is still alive :p

[hxc]

i've been hearing this same bs about asteroids hitting earth every couple of years since i was a kid... i doubt it will happen.

tiagosilva29

5170.jpg

Seriously: Instead of bitching with who has (or not) nukes, just put the damn things into space and blast whatever gets in our way.

The_Decryptor
Impact Probability: 2.2e-05

0.002200000% chance of Earth impact

or

1 in 45,000 chance

or

99.99780000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

My god, we need Bruce Willis. :rolleyes:

Edit: it's rated a 0 on the "TORINO IMPACT HAZARD SCALE", and that means...

The likelihood of a collision is zero, or is so low as to be effectively zero. Also applies to small objects such as meteors and bodies that burn up in the atmosphere as well as infrequent meteorite falls that rarely cause damage.
tiagosilva29

^ You just ruined my plan for world peace and a decent early retirement pension.

The_Decryptor

Your plans for world peace got in the way of my plans for world domination, so they had to go.

DeathGod

I rather eat a chicken sandwich then let this get out of hand,We seriously need to be prepared about this.The movies about this is just to prepare us and give us hope so when the real thing happens we wont painic about it.The movies were a govt. conspiracy think about it!

JonathanVP

I am sure by then we will be visited by aliens who then vaporize or teleport the asteroid using a mini blackhole weapon...then all will be ok! :)

EchoNoise

This reminds me!

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city,

keeping its speed over fifty. And if its speed dropped, the bus

would explode! I think it was called... "The bus that couldn't slow

down."

Brandon Live

I've seen this episode...

Anubis set it on that path. When it gets close enough that Jack can see his house from it, they'll open a hyperspace window and the asteroid will jump through the earth and pop out the other side.

+virtorio

I can't see the American's letting some asteroid push them around.

R-Flex

Roll a six-sided die. If a six is the result in six consecutive rolls, then the asteroid has hit us. While it isn't a difficult task to accomplish by rolling that die repeatedly, it would be near impossible to accomplish in one attempt.

99.99780000% really demonstrates the likelihood of impact.

Mathiasdm
As a matter of fact, we would probably be worse off if it hit the ocean. Many billions of gallons of water would instantly vaporize, forming an immense, think cloud of water vapor around the earth that would trap UV rays as well as any combination of greenhouse gases. The resulting tsunami would obliterate cities as far as 100 miles inland. The delicate balance of ocean currents would be thrown off, possibly causing them to change with

potentially disasterous results for areas (like the UK) that depend on the currents for temperate weather.

The marine ecosystem would be utterly destroyed, an event that would have dire consequences all the way up the food chain.

Not that the alternative is that much better...

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

The asteroid has a 250 meter diameter, meaning it's... tiny.

Consequences (and I made it be solid iron, but it's probably much lighter):

Your Inputs:

Distance from Impact: 100.00 km = 62.10 miles

Projectile Diameter: 250.00 m = 820.00 ft = 0.16 miles

Projectile Density: 8000 kg/m3

Impact Velocity: 30.00 km/s = 18.63 miles/s

Impact Angle: 45 degrees

Target Density: 1000 kg/m3

Target Type: Liquid Water of depth 100.00 meters, over typical rock.

Energy:

Energy before atmospheric entry: 2.95 x 1019 Joules = 7.04 x 103 MegaTons TNT

The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 1.0 x 105years

Atmospheric Entry:

The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 23300 meters = 76300 ft

The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition. The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 29.6 km/s = 18.4 miles/s

The impact energy is 2.87 x 1019 Joules = 6.86 x 103MegaTons.

The broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.525 km by 0.371 km

Major Global Changes:

The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.

The impact does not make a noticeable change in the Earth's rotation period or the tilt of its axis.

The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Crater Dimensions:

What does this mean?

The crater opened in the water has a diameter of 10.1 km = 6.29 miles

For the crater formed in the seafloor:

Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.

Transient Crater Diameter: 5.94 km = 3.69 miles

Transient Crater Depth: 2.1 km = 1.31 miles

Final Crater Diameter: 7.54 km = 4.68 miles

Final Crater Depth: 0.544 km = 0.338 miles

The crater formed is a complex crater.

The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.15 km3 = 0.036 miles3

Roughly half the melt remains in the crater , where its average thickness is 5.41 meters = 17.7 feet

Thermal Radiation:

What does this mean?

Time for maximum radiation: 0.207 seconds after impact

Visible fireball radius: 5.34 km = 3.32 miles

The fireball appears 12.1 times larger than the sun

Thermal Exposure: 1.15 x 106 Joules/m2

Duration of Irradiation: 79.6 seconds

Radiant flux (relative to the sun): 14.4

Effects of Thermal Radiation:

Much of the body suffers second degree burns

Deciduous trees ignite

Seismic Effects:

What does this mean?

The major seismic shaking will arrive at approximately 20 seconds.

Richter Scale Magnitude: 7.1

Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 100 km:

VI. Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

VII. Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.

Ejecta:

What does this mean?

The ejecta will arrive approximately 144 seconds after the impact.

Average Ejecta Thickness: 1.11 cm = 0.439 inches

Mean Fragment Diameter: 4.72 cm = 1.86 inches

Air Blast:

What does this mean?

The air blast will arrive at approximately 303 seconds.

Peak Overpressure: 24600 Pa = 0.246 bars = 3.5 psi

Max wind velocity: 52.7 m/s = 118 mph

Sound Intensity: 88 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)

Damage Description:

Interior partitions of wood frame buildings will be blown down. Roof will be severely damaged.

Glass windows will shatter.

About 30 percent of trees blown down; remainder have some branches and leaves blown off.

Typhon

Sounds like bs to me. Just like the "war on terror" it is fake.

Skiver

Anubis set it on that path. When it gets close enough that Jack can see his house from it, they'll open a hyperspace window and the asteroid will jump through the earth and pop out the other side.

but wait... isnt apophis dead? or was he... he came back didnt he :s

oh heck i confused myself! ut yeah lets just do the whole go through the earth malarky... worked for good old sg1 :p

in all seriousness... whether it is lilely or unlikely to hit.. dont you think we should be prepaired for the worst? it doesnt matter if its 250 meters or 250 mile... it will still do some serious damage to where it may hit and can cause unforseen effects!

Steven P.

As long as Bruce leaves Ben Afleck up there this time and doesn't screw up.

.Kompressor

Time to blow all the savings on some toys before 2036. LOL forget the 401K, mutual funds, and stocks...take everything out and splurge. :D

If you gotta go.... "go with a smile" : :woot:

Fred Derf

[Thread Moved from NFN to SS]

spacer

In 2036, we will have drained all of our fossil fuels, polluted our entire natural water supply, and probably have had another war or two in the interm. I think the asteroid will be welcomed with open arms by the 2036 rolls around.

Hah, I liked that episode!

pacifica

yep, saw this one discovery recently. get this, so far the most supported theory of resolving this problem is to build a ship and put it just off of the orbit of the asteroid to create tension with it's gravitational pull and then gently tug at it which is supposed to eventually push or pull it off course.

it sounds like a bone-headed idea but i'm not gonna worry about it; i opened a fortune cookie yesterday that said we'd all die in 2035.

The_Decryptor

1. Already posted
  2. there is a 99.9978% chance it won't hit us, it's being blown out of proportion

SadJoker

One of the points made in the article was the UN is figuring out ways to stop any possible asteroid impact on the Earth, not just this one.