101.41 nVidia Drivers for Vista (BETA)

skyppunk, your modified .inf doesnt work for my geforce go 6150 with vista 64 drivers, i get an error saying wrong version of windows, is that inf just for the x86 version? think i'll wait for laptop2govideo update their inf file.

finally working sli, i know i brought that sli for a reason, now all we need is SLI acceleration for Aero....(dreams some more)

skyppunk, your modified .inf doesnt work for my geforce go 6150 with vista 64 drivers, i get an error saying wrong version of windows, is that inf just for the x86 version? think i'll wait for laptop2govideo update their inf file.

Yea just x86, sorry, shoulda put that in there!

I just took the card info from laptopvideo2go's INFs that I have been using :)

If you use the INF i posted above, it includes these cards in it, so it *should* work on your 5200's:

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0320.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0321.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0322.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 "

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0323.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200LE "

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0323.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200LE"

NVIDIA_NV34.DEV_0329.1 = "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (MAC)"

works very good

and is it working right with this drivers, i ask anyway myself, how they go whql in the last drivers version with that bug. and holdem poker was longer out allready tan the 100.65...

i used to have this bug but it was fixed when microsof update prompted me to download texas holdem...i already had holdem and thought it was an update...anyways after downloading it the flashing bug was fixed

It seems like Nvidia is trying to do a good job releasing new drivers often and fixing bugs.

Hope they keep this up, maybe in an not to far future the drivers will be as good as the ones in XP.

It wasn't that long since 100.65, so at this rate, maybe by 103.xx they'll fix all the bugs, then starting with 104.xx or 105.xx they can work on performence to match and probably pass that of XP

It will hardly pass XP level. I hope they don't forget XP users because honestly Vista sucks. I tried playing Battlefield 2 under Vista...Holy **** hard drive is paging like nothing i saw before.

Vista sucks for gaming big time. No matter how good Nvidia drivers get, this OS blows. It looks like Windows Vista doesn't release the memory right for app or game. BF2 crashed few times saying system out of the memory, after which point hard drive started paging like for 5 minutes. With sidebar OS idles almost 700MB...holy ****. Brandon or any Microsoft employee can say whatever they think, but i say Vista has horrible memory management. Most of them work on specific app or part of it, and nobody sees the overall picture called OS. From what I noticed memory is shared and managed across different windows processes i guess ok, but as soon as game or app requires it, OS doesn't release it or frees system from not needed processes. It often happens that hard drive starts spinning like crazy and you're in the middle of the game...probably with no reason or maybe stupid indexing started working. Windows was bashed by Mac users and other people because its GUI wasn't accelerated by GPU like it was case with MacOS. But, Windows XP still out performs MacOS in every aspect...I guess accelerated GUI in MacOS didn't help a lot but looked nice. I don't know the details of new driver model, but it shows that is just one of the wrong technical decisions. A glass looks nice and polished but that's it.

Comparing Vista with 4xxx Longhorn builds i noticed they share similar behavior. In both memory management sucks. For Longhorn it was explained that there was memory leak in it. I think Vista suffers similar issue at some extent. I do coding for years different platforms, mainframe (cobol, natural), java, c++ and i learned that memory management and cpu time are two really importants facts. Imagine a guy who thinks that memory management is great in Vista and starts working on mainframe...where cpu time, memory was essential...not to mention hard drive space which is not an issue any more. Holy ****...company better call IBM for support to recover Mainframe...:)

There are two kind of programmers today. One of them does coding in notepad, and other one uses tools like .Net. Well, the guy who works with .Net will never be as good as the one who does the programming in notepad.

Edited by freak_power

i cant install any of the 100 drivers tried them all

i get a black screen after restart then the blue screen of death

the only driver working for me is 97.46

any ideas why ??

running vista prem / 1950gt 512

thx

oh ps using nhancer if that helps ??

It will hardly pass XP level. I hope they don't forget XP users because honestly Vista sucks. I tried playing Battlefield 2 under Vista...Holy **** hard drive is paging like nothing i saw before.

Vista sucks for gaming big time. No matter how good Nvidia drivers get, this OS blows. It looks like Windows Vista doesn't release the memory right for app or game. BF2 crashed few times saying system out of the memory, after which point hard drive started paging like for 5 minutes. With sidebar OS idles almost 700MB...holy ****. Brandon or any Microsoft employee can say whatever they think, but i say Vista has horrible memory management. Most of them work on specific app or part of it, and nobody sees the overall picture called OS. From what I noticed memory is shared and managed across different windows processes i guess ok, but as soon as game or app requires it, OS doesn't release it or frees system from not needed processes. It often happens that hard drive starts spinning like crazy and you're in the middle of the game...probably with no reason or maybe stupid indexing started working. Windows was bashed by Mac users and other people because its GUI wasn't accelerated by GPU like it was case with MacOS. But, Windows XP still out performs MacOS in every aspect...I guess accelerated GUI in MacOS didn't help a lot but looked nice. I don't know the details of new driver model, but it shows that is just one of the wrong technical decisions. A glass looks nice and polished but that's it.

Comparing Vista with 4xxx Longhorn builds i noticed they share similar behavior. In both memory management sucks. For Longhorn it was explained that there was memory leak in it. I think Vista suffers similar issue at some extent. I do coding for years different platforms, mainframe (cobol, natural), java, c++ and i learned that memory management and cpu time are two really importants facts. Imagine a guy who thinks that memory management is great in Vista and starts working on mainframe...where cpu time, memory was essential...not to mention hard drive space which is not an issue any more. Holy ****...company better call IBM for support to recover Mainframe...:)

There are two kind of programmers today. One of them does coding in notepad, and other one uses tools like .Net. Well, the guy who works with .Net will never be as good as the one who does the programming in notepad.

Can you please stop making posts? Every single post you make is crap. You're crying and whining because your precious Battlefield video game doesn't work properly. Who cares?? I bet your mommy doesn't like you playing video games all day anways. Go do your homework or play outside. You don't understand the point of hardware graphics acceleration either. It allows you to use the graphics card you paid for to render everthing on screen so your cpu can do something more useful.

You talk about your programming experience, but I bet I could embarrass you when it comes to programming. I've done systems programming with IBM's flagship mainframe OS (z/OS), I've programmed in assembly language, etc etc, but you know what? No one cares! I, like everyone else who read your post, don't care that you've tried old ass, worthless languages like cobol (which you think makes you l337 or something). That's not what makes one programmer better than another. As for the comment you made at the end about using programming tools, that's retarded. I use Visual Studio sometimes when I program, not because I don't understand the stuff it does for you, but because I don't want to waste my time with menial tasks like looking up the exact member variable name of a class I created. I already learned and mastered the concepts related to all the little boring crap that the programming tools (like Visual Studio) do for you.

Can you please stop making posts? Every single post you make is crap. You're crying and whining because your precious Battlefield video game doesn't work properly. Who cares?? I bet your mommy doesn't like you playing video games all day anways. Go do your homework or play outside. You don't understand the point of hardware graphics acceleration either. It allows you to use the graphics card you paid for to render everthing on screen so your cpu can do something more useful.

You talk about your programming experience, but I bet I could embarrass you when it comes to programming. I've done systems programming with IBM's flagship mainframe OS (z/OS), I've programmed in assembly language, etc etc, but you know what? No one cares! I, like everyone else who read your post, don't care that you've tried old ass, worthless languages like cobol (which you think makes you l337 or something). That's not what makes one programmer better than another. As for the comment you made at the end about using programming tools, that's retarded. I use Visual Studio sometimes when I program, not because I don't understand the stuff it does for you, but because I don't want to waste my time with menial tasks like looking up the exact member variable name of a class I created. I already learned and mastered the concepts related to all the little boring crap that the programming tools (like Visual Studio) do for you.

I do JAVA, C++, .NET. What was your point dude?

"You don't understand the point of hardware graphics acceleration either. It allows you to use the graphics card you paid for to render everthing on screen so your cpu can do something more useful." - this is really stupid statement. In Vista...both gpu and cpu are dedicated too much to OS. Let me tell you about CPU usage. The CPU usage under Vista is just ridicoulos high. I paid for my CPU and graphic card not to serve OS, but software and games. OS is just there to make it everything happen, to make that wonderful machine called PC to work, and give you ability to fully utilize power of audio, gpu, cpu in apps and game...As I said...glass looks nice and that's all. Not useful for anything else. Battlefield 2 is well known for high demand on memory. Well my friend, Vista is such a crap that combined with game like Battlefield 2. your 2Gb machine is going crazy. Ok, let's get 4Gb of RAM, i guess that's a way to fix broken OS. People are just stupid when they say Vista is faster then XP. Let me push your system the same way i push XP and show you how bad Vista actually is....

any ideas why ??

thx

Well considering that you have an ATi graphics card I'm not surprised that NVIDIA graphics drivers won't work.

I do JAVA, C++, .NET. What was your point dude?

"You don't understand the point of hardware graphics acceleration either. It allows you to use the graphics card you paid for to render everthing on screen so your cpu can do something more useful." - this is really stupid statement. In Vista...both gpu and cpu are dedicated too much to OS. Let me tell you about CPU usage. The CPU usage under Vista is just ridicoulos high. I paid for my CPU and graphic card not to serve OS, but software and games. OS is just there to make it everything happen, to make that wonderful machine called PC to work, and give you ability to fully utilize power of audio, gpu, cpu in apps and game...As I said...glass looks nice and that's all. Not useful for anything else. Battlefield 2 is well known for high demand on memory. Well my friend, Vista is such a crap that combined with game like Battlefield 2. your 2Gb machine is going crazy. Ok, let's get 4Gb of RAM, i guess that's a way to fix broken OS. People are just stupid when they say Vista is faster then XP. Let me push your system the same way i push XP and show you how bad Vista actually is....

No one cares what programming languages you can code in, It doesn't give you a 'Look at me I'm more clever than you' badge.

I can run BF2 fine on vista, and I'm using a 15.3" LAPTOP. Vista is using less than 600MB of ram now as we speak. Leaving almost 1.5GB of RAM. Thats enough for BF2 I reckon ;) . Now if Vista sucks SOOOO much then don't use it, stop whining it's not doing anyone any good.

Vista isnt as fast for games yet, but with new drivers its getting better all the time.

OOhh you PUSH XP ooooh, look at you big boy! :rofl: Now go away please.

bwahahahahahahahhahaaaaaaaaa *takes breath* whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahahahaaaa

you're funny man, real funny ;). You just made it obvious that you've never programmed a real program in your entire life

any ideas why ??

thx

Well considering that you have an ATi graphics card I'm not surprised that NVIDIA graphics drivers won't work.

OMG WHAT AM I LIKE

it was late last night my card is a 7950gt

any ideas ?

Some people seem to think that all it takes is more RAM to get an OS like Vista to work right, 4GB for vista article a week ago is a good example.

But that's just far from the truth, drivers are key to the whole thing, if your game is giving you problems it's one of 2 things, video card drivers don't play nice with the game in question for Vista yet. Or the game itself needs a patch to be Vista compatible.

Case in point, lots of people run the same game just fine without any problems on their desktops or even laptops, yet others have problems and crashes. This just shows that the problem lies with a specific hardware setup, be it video card +chipset drivers are making Vista act up, or the game + drivers are making it act up for your specific video card.

Saying Vista blows when you're in the minority of users who have loads of problems is pointless. Many others don't have any problems aside from slower performence, which will be fixed with new drivers soon.

Case in point, lots of people run the same game just fine without any problems on their desktops or even laptops, yet others have problems and crashes. This just shows that the problem lies with a specific hardware setup, be it video card +chipset drivers are making Vista act up, or the game + drivers are making it act up for your specific video card.

Could not agree with you more. I actually run a clan for both BF2 (which freak_power was complaning about) and BF2142. Myself and a few others in my clan are all running 64 bit Ultimate and are having no problems at all. Actually seems to run better than XP. Certinally looks better.

Is there any software other than Rivatuner (doesn't support this driver) that allows you to control fan speed?

My 7600GT fan is EXTREMELY noisy unless I can customize the speeds. In XP I had the 2D enviroment set at 25% fan speed. Right now it sounds like its running at 80-100% and is annoying.

Thanks! :)

Some people seem to think that all it takes is more RAM to get an OS like Vista to work right, 4GB for vista article a week ago is a good example.

But that's just far from the truth, drivers are key to the whole thing, if your game is giving you problems it's one of 2 things, video card drivers don't play nice with the game in question for Vista yet. Or the game itself needs a patch to be Vista compatible.

Saying Vista blows when you're in the minority of users who have loads of problems is pointless. Many others don't have any problems aside from slower performence, which will be fixed with new drivers soon.

Exactly.

Case in point: I run Windows Vista Ultimate (x86) on what can charitably be called *dead hardware* (*dead hardware* is hardware that, while still supported by the manufacturer, is not only no longer manufactured, but hasn't been for at least eighteen months).

Motherboard: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe (eighteen months dead)

CPU: Intel P4 2.6 Northwood-C (two years dead)

RAM: 1 GB PNY OPTIMA (2x512 MB DDR400) (eighteen months dead; purchased two years ago)

Graphics: Built By ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro AGP (purchased new four years ago; replaced under warranty two years ago, product had been *dead* one year at time of replacement)

Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Limited Edition (eighteen months dead)

Except for the motherboard and memory, every other item has supposedly had issues with Windows Vista for someone here on Neowin. (That includes the CPU, which has been called *too slow*.) Yet, for me, it all works, and lets me do what I want/need to do (including playing Supreme Commander, which I also beta-tested on the same hardware).

Notice I did NOT list my TV tuner (ATI HDTV Wonder) or webcam (Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX) because neither product is dead (both have also gotten their share of bad press here at Neowin). Yet both not only work, but auto-installed updated drivers when Vista detected them (what makes the webcam's case all the funnier is that Microsoft's LifeCam models compete *directly* with the STX, yet Vista detected and installed the new drivers and software with ZERO prompting from me).

Last, and certainly least, is the three-years-dead HP DeskJet 940C. Just like in XP, Vista detected and installed the drivers with zero prompting (then again, this is the *only* truly Plug and Print USB inkjet printer that has worked on every OS I've thrown at it, including Solaris, which is notoriously finicky about printers).

You hear about problems; however, you almost never hear about the LACK of problems because they are too busy having fun (or getting real work done).

You hear about problems; however, you almost never hear about the LACK of problems because they are too busy having fun (or getting real work done).

Excellent point!

Just noticed a little bug i think(running vista ultimate x64).

I just saw that in my control panel i have a nvidia icon which is unnamed, and it doesn't open the control panel when i click on it.

Anyone else having this?