User Account Control poll

UAC on or off?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you have it set?

• On
    • Off

I leave it on, as in daily tasks, I never see it. Sure, if I'm installing an app, or making a system change, it'll pop up, but that is no different than sudo in Ubuntu for the most part. The only time it pops for deleting files, is when I delete files that were created when I was running XP.

How about, its completely unnecessary. Tell me why I need this after 20 years of not needing it and being able to count the number of viruses and/or trojans and/or etc on 1 hand? Please, someone tell me why?

We didn't need 3D interfaces, backup tools, usable searching, media center functionality or 99% of the applications bundled with Windows either but that doesn't mean they're a bad idea. I personally want an operating system that is keeping up with the times, hence why I've already moved over to Vista. NEway, I don't know why you even throw about the 20yr figure - computing now doesn't even slightly resemble computing 20yrs ago, so stop trying to be over dramatic.

If you don't like it then don't use it - you don't need to get worked up about it, as you clearly are. However, you should appreciate the increased safety provided to n00bs, the main source of virus propagation. Sure, it's far from perfect but Microsoft is responding to the challenges of the day and preparing for the future. I do think they need to improve it, though - creating a new folder in a protected zone presents two popups, then another two when you enter the name of the folder... that is just ridiculous. It should at the very least allow a grace period for the naming of the folder the first time, as it shouldn't assume the folder will be called "New Folder" (as it nearly always won't be).

NEway, I leave it activated. It's not that intrusive in general usage, though can be a bit over-the-top when trying to organise the Start Menu. I also run anti-virus, leave the firewall enabled and keep Windows up-to-date. I'll leave arrogance and over-confidence to you.

Edited by theyarecomingforyou

How about, its completely unnecessary. Tell me why I need this after 20 years of not needing it and being able to count the number of viruses and/or trojans and/or etc on 1 hand? Please, someone tell me why? Again, 20 years maybe 5 occurences of any malicious things. Id have to be an insane narcissist to want this obnoxious, intrusive pest in my face. Why why why??? Its already a joke. Its embarrassing and borderline gimmicky. Other than that, its great. :wacko:

Well that's a stupid argument. For one, computers (and in particular, the internet) are very different from 20 years ago. And how the hell is one of the best security features available to Windows users "gimmicky?"

I turned mine off. I'm not a stupid person. I've never gotten a virus throughout the decade I've been using computers. I've only gotten hit my spyware a few times but it was minimal.

UAC ON... always ON... I never had a reason to turn it off...

ON since the first time I installed Windows Vista...

I love the UAC... I love using Windows as a standard user

stickerrz0.png

Edited by franzon

I turned mine off. I'm not a stupid person. I've never gotten a virus throughout the decade I've been using computers. I've only gotten hit my spyware a few times but it was minimal.

Would you also stop locking the doors to your house because you've only been robbed minimally?

Would you also stop locking the doors to your house because you've only been robbed minimally?

:rolleyes:

Antivirus programs do NOTHING except determine patterns and existing malware. I could write a peice of malware that would destroy your windows installation and the antivirus program wouldn't think anything of it. It's just impossible to tell whether a piece of software is a software update or a piece of malicious software. That's the fallacy of thinking AV programs are effective, when they aren't.

I haven't used antivirus in 5 years and I've never had any piece of malware touch my system. Just keep it up to date and be reasonable when opening files.

UAC ON here: I am not annoyed by it, even if I perform those special tasks that cause Vista to ask permission through the UAC pop-ups.

UAC is a benefit for every Windows user, don't underestimate it.

Antivirus programs do NOTHING except determine patterns and existing malware. I could write a peice of malware that would destroy your windows installation and the antivirus program wouldn't think anything of it. It's just impossible to tell whether a piece of software is a software update or a piece of malicious software. That's the fallacy of thinking AV programs are effective, when they aren't.

I haven't used antivirus in 5 years and I've never had any piece of malware touch my system. Just keep it up to date and be reasonable when opening files.

Yeah, I've never had any virus problems for as long as I can remember actually, and not even adware. On the other hand, I use Firefox with e.g. the NoScript extension, and Gmail, not a client that even read mails locally on my computer. (and Gmail of course virus scans their incoming mails too, probably using at least as good antivirus software as I would) There really isn't many more attack vectors left if you don't use ActiveX, only enable scripting for trusted sites, let others scan your mail, and keep your firewall and file sharing settings well configured. I also keep UAC enabled. And if I've never had a problem for as long as I can recall, why should I suddenly start using one now? Actually, it surprises me how much of a problem viruses still are. It's not like I daily think of it and how to be "careful enough". It's just 100% common sense to me at this point.

I had it off, but when researching how much it does to protect your system, I turned it back on. After you get all your drivers installed and everything, it really isn't that bad.

On...all the time...on all my computers.

They [MS] shouldn't have added a way to turn it off.

Microsoft was right for including a way to turn it off. Microsoft should include a methodology for the user, especially the power user, to turn on or off anything they please. Doesn't matter whether it ClearType, UAC or System Restore. It's my machine and I should have the ability to choose what is running or not and how protected I'd like to be.

We didn't need 3D interfaces, backup tools, usable searching, media center functionality or 99% of the applications bundled with Windows either but that doesn't mean they're a bad idea. I personally want an operating system that is keeping up with the times, hence why I've already moved over to Vista. NEway, I don't know why you even throw about the 20yr figure - computing now doesn't even slightly resemble computing 20yrs ago, so stop trying to be over dramatic.

Ok, forget the 20 year argument. How about 1 year? Last year it wasnt needed and its not needed now. Lets just go back to december 2006..hmmm nope, I wouldnt have needed it then either.

If you don't like it then don't use it - you don't need to get worked up about it, as you clearly are. However, you should appreciate the increased safety provided to n00bs, the main source of virus propagation. Sure, it's far from perfect but Microsoft is responding to the challenges of the day and preparing for the future.

I dont like it, i wont use it and this is an opinion poll. And about getting worked up, you're doing a fine job of that yourself.

I do think they need to improve it, though - creating a new folder in a protected zone presents two popups, then another two when you enter the name of the folder... that is just ridiculous. It should at the very least allow a grace period for the naming of the folder the first time, as it shouldn't assume the folder will be called "New Folder" (as it nearly always won't be).

Dude, you completely agree with me. This is a perfect example of why I hate it. I knew you'd come around.

NEway, I leave it activated. It's not that intrusive in general usage, though can be a bit over-the-top when trying to organise the Start Menu. I also run anti-virus, leave the firewall enabled and keep Windows up-to-date. I'll leave arrogance and over-confidence to you.

Oh and you're not arrogant? I stated MY opinion. I didnt try to demean or belittle anyone. Your whole response is dripping in spectacular, unmitigated arrogance

Well that's a stupid argument. For one, computers (and in particular, the internet) are very different from 20 years ago. And how the hell is one of the best security features available to Windows users "gimmicky?"

Its gimmicky because its overkill. It needs to be rethought, reworked and then maybe Ill reuse it. Its a mess the way it is. That mac commercial is so utterly perfect. Its just rediculous. Im sorry if that offends you, but ive never had this bad a taste in my mouth for a particular feature in any version of Windows. I think Vista is excellent for the most part otherwise

No I wouldnt stop locking my doors. Fiewall and anti-virus and anti-spyware and correct cookie settings in my browser is how I lock my doors.

Edited by solardog

Huh? What does UAC have to do with anti-virus software? :blink:

Its gimmicky because its overkill. It needs to be rethought, reworked and then maybe Ill reuse it. Its a mess the way it is. That mac commercial is so utterly perfect. Its just rediculous. Im sorry if that offends you, but ive never had this bad a taste in my mouth for a particular feature in any version of Windows. I think Vista is excellent for the most part otherwise

It's definitely not overkill, and it definitely doesn't need to be reworked. The mac commercial is funny, but completely not applicable to real life. The average user will almost never see a UAC prompt. Even for power users they should be extremely rare, if not more rare since you'll know how to configure your system properly so nothing needs to run elevated. If you've ever used a Mac or *nix machine, you'd know that UAC is in fact far less disruptive than the equivalent safeguards on those systems. Whereas administrative tasks on the Mac or Linux require at the very least that you type a password every time, Administrator accounts with UAC running only need to click "continue" (or press alt-c, etc). That easily makes Vista's UAC mechanism more user-friendly than the equivalent protections on the Mac.

If it's the Secure Desktop switch that bothers you, disable that instead.

Oh and you're not arrogant? ... Your whole response is dripping in spectacular, unmitigated arrogance

This thread has went down hill quick and in only 4 pages!

:unsure:

It got turned off the day i installed vista, it was prompting for me to allow pretty much EVERYTHING and not learning when i said YES. It asked me everytime i reopened the program!