User Account Control poll

UAC on or off?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. How do you have it set?

• On
    • Off

It got turned off the day i installed vista, it was prompting for me to allow pretty much EVERYTHING and not learning when i said YES. It asked me everytime i reopened the program!

What program? Sounds like the program's fault, not Windows'.

What program? Sounds like the program's fault, not Windows'.

It was with lots of programs, winrar, firefox, even its OWN programs like IE7

I used to run XP as a limited user, and Vista doesn't offend me. I suspect that most people who have problems are those who used to run as admin all the time.

...They [MS] shouldn't have added a way to turn it off.

Bull sh**. I decide how to run my computer, NOT Microsoft. As I've said before, UAC is a good idea. It's just not implemented well, in my opinion. And those who wish to turn it off should be allowed to do so.

Part of PC security is protecting users from themselves. .:Cough, Cough:. Even those that *think* they know what they're doing.

There are plenty of thing that should be done when it comes to Windows, but they are still options or external programs. Programs like AdAware SE personal, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot Search & Destroy, NOD32 are all great programs. Some might say necessities. But they are optional, just as UAC should be.

There are plenty of thing that should be done when it comes to Windows, but they are still options or external programs. Programs like AdAware SE personal, SpywareBlaster, SpyBot Search & Destroy, NOD32 are all great programs. Some might say necessities. But they are optional, just as UAC should be.

UAC is optional. It is just enabled by default, as it should be. You can disable it at your leisure.

I find it to be the more responsible option for MS to do it that way- enable it for everyone and let the more confident users turn it off.

All of this arguing about how it shouldn't be in Vista because it is annoying or whatever is nothing but snivelling whinings from people that insist they know what is right for everyone for no other reason than "I've never been infected so no one needs it." That is a completely irresponsible and childish attitude for anyone to have.

I have UAC enabled but set so it doesnt bother me.

Just so i dont get random haults at start up for some reason.. :s

Garnett

UAC is optional. It is just enabled by default, as it should be. You can disable it at your leisure.

I find it to be the more responsible option for MS to do it that way- enable it for everyone and let the more confident users turn it off.

All of this arguing about how it shouldn't be in Vista because it is annoying or whatever is nothing but snivelling whinings from people that insist they know what is right for everyone for no other reason than "I've never been infected so no one needs it." That is a completely irresponsible and childish attitude for anyone to have.

Well, I agree with you. raskren's assertion that "[MS] shouldn't have added a way to turn it off" is what I was a bit miffed at. UAC being enabled by default with and option to turn it off is the way it should be. I know there are those that say it shouldn't be in Vista, but I'm not one of them. I choose to have it off, but would never suggest that everyone do the same. It's a choice, as it should be.

Well I responded to this once but some mod likes to delete my posts lately without giving me a reason why.

I will say it again, it is a useless feature unless you have someone using your computer that is young, ignorant, or just overall clueless. It is nothing but an annoyance, and doesn't really stop anything from happening, just makes it take longer. It has already been proven that it can be bypassed - some of you, especially Brandon which can never admit that any product hes involved with could ever have any flaw (understandably), need to leave your dillusions behind and get back to reality :)

raskren's assertion that "[MS] shouldn't have added a way to turn it off" is what I was a bit miffed at. UAC being enabled by default with and option to turn it off is the way it should be.

This might be true for the consumer but not a system administrator managing thousands. As a matter of fact part of the new ADMX files allow all sorts of control over UAC --even blocking executables completely.

::winXpert::

the only trouble i had with UAC is that it would completely drop you out of aero to ask you to do something and then it would have to reload it. I've completely disabled it since i know what i'm doing on my own computer.

Well I responded to this once but some mod likes to delete my posts lately without giving me a reason why.

I will say it again, it is a useless feature unless you have someone using your computer that is young, ignorant, or just overall clueless. It is nothing but an annoyance, and doesn't really stop anything from happening, just makes it take longer. It has already been proven that it can be bypassed - some of you, especially Brandon which can never admit that any product hes involved with could ever have any flaw (understandably), need to leave your dillusions behind and get back to reality :)

Thank you for proving my point.

It is nothing but an annoyance, and doesn't really stop anything from happening, just makes it take longer.

LOL! Try scripting something that does some real damage then.

It was with lots of programs, winrar, firefox, even its OWN programs like IE7

Well you're doing something wrong, or just blatently lying. I use those programs a lot, and I am untroubled by UAC :/

the only trouble i had with UAC is that it would completely drop you out of aero to ask you to do something and then it would have to reload it. I've completely disabled it since i know what i'm doing on my own computer.

Umm no it doesn't.

The UAC prompt on the Secure Desktop won't have Aero-style chrome, but it certainly isn't disabling Aero or restarting it. It's just switching desktops, and the DWM / Aero doesn't run on the Secure Desktop in Vista.

On my desktop that my girlfriend uses it's on. My work laptop it's off.

Here is my problem with it... this is how spyware and all that crap gets installed anyways, too many dialogs, that the user will just click through because they don't want to deal with it. They just click 'yes' and move on without actually reading. That's where UAC will fail, not because it's necessarily bad, but because most end-users are stupid.

On my desktop that my girlfriend uses it's on. My work laptop it's off.

Here is my problem with it... this is how spyware and all that crap gets installed anyways, too many dialogs, that the user will just click through because they don't want to deal with it. They just click 'yes' and move on without actually reading. That's where UAC will fail, not because it's necessarily bad, but because most end-users are stupid.

totally agree with you here.. users will get so trained into just hitting yes to getting rid of the UAC window that when it really does pop up stopping an actual virus/spyware from running the user is so in auto pilot they just click whatever button get rid of it without really paying attention to the actual alert.

I see this all to often at work when the antivirus catches something in an email and they simple usher the alert box away then call me saying something popuped up but can't remember what it was.

I rather Vista protect all the RUN reg keys and stop .exe hooking into explorer.exe keys and all the other hidden methods that they can hook into the system so they are hidden and run on reboot.

I rather Vista protect all the RUN reg keys and stop .exe hooking into explorer.exe keys and all the other hidden methods that they can hook into the system so they are hidden and run on reboot.

Defender does some of that. And certain hooks like the SHLoadInProc() API were killed in Vista largely for that reason.

Yeah, but consider this: your browsing a site and UAC just pops up for "no good reason". It's spyware tryin' to install. You haven't downloaded anything; you haven't opened an app. Your just browsing. You'd press "Cancel" and the spyware wouldn't be installed.