Ps3 Home Trailer

I think what he is trying to say is that is not just a 3D chat room

Ultimately, what else could it be? In the trailer, they show you customize an avatar, walk around a main "chat" channel and talk to people, invite people to your "private" channel, and use emotions. That's exactly what a 3D chat room is.

I didn't say anything about Home. But I guess you're referring to my bit about XBL being a far better experience. I've had XBL since a month before it went public and it's been a far better experience than anything else in all that time. I don't know how Home will compare, but Home in and of itself wouldn't convince me to get a PS3 so it's a moot point anyways. If you look at my post earlier in this thread you even see that I'm impressed with Home so far.

And for cryin out loud, I make the most rational argument you can make for not wanting a certain console and you still manage to slam me for it.

-Spenser

How can you compare two things when you have no experience whatsoever with one of them?

I am extremely impressed. This isn't only the first time in three years that Sony's actually delivered, but I don't think any single console feature has impressed me this much before.

I am extremely impressed. This isn't only the first time in three years that Sony's actually delivered, but I don't think any single console feature has impressed me this much before.

Well if we want to get technical it hasn't been delivered yet. But since that video was likely from an alpha build it's unlikely that it'll miss the target.

Looks great, but it can't be directly compared with either Miis or Xbox Live. It doesn't appear to be 100% integrated like Live although it attempts to with having some game matchmaking being possible, and unless it allows games to utilize your avatar it's not like Miis either.

I like all the trophy stuff. But the rest doesnt really interest me, I'm just not into the whole "Customize your space with downloaded items to show off your interior design skills" element. :I

I think they should (or they already will) have moderators in place :)

-Rich-

Police and CIA :o. :| :shiftyninja:

Is that all Sony can come up with? I mean, it looks very exciting at first, but I think it will eventually wear off and start to get boring. That idea of creating a virtual world isn't new... To be honest, I think if that idea of creating this virtual world was so succesful, we wouldn't be IM'ing on Live Messenger, AIM, etc. We would be using 3DChat.org, IMVU, Moove, Cybertown, which all of them failed.

If you try one of those sites you will find it very exciting, but soon after, you'll be back to the good old way of IMing.

I know this doesn't completely relate to Home, so we shall wait and see. :rolleyes:

valid point, we'll see.

oh and.. Dirk, they said it'll be free, right in the trailer :).

I assume that means the ability to enter the world is free. But I have a feeling that Sony is going to go crazy with the microtransactions. 2 bucks for a couch for your apartment, 2 bucks for that cool jacket, etc... :I

How can you compare two things when you have no experience whatsoever with one of them?

:blink: Are you serious? Did you actually miss my point entirely twice? I wasn't ever comparing XBL to Home. I was comparing XBL to what's out there currently and in the last four years and saying that I'm very satisfied with it. Good lord, read my posts.

-Spenser

oh and.. Dirk, they said it'll be free, right in the trailer :).

I think certain things about it will be free. I don't think everything they said will be free.

I think certain things about it will be free. I don't think everything they said will be free.

Yeah, access to Home will be free is what I'm getting out of that. I'm sure every time in the trailer that you heard of 'getting something off the marketplace' has some kind of monetary transaction involved. It's still cool though.

-Spenser

I'll admit it does look really cool and the possibilities are endless with what you can do with it. I quite liked the whole trophy room idea, being able to put trophies and even videos from your games, cool stuff. However, for me personally after the novelty has worn off it would become more annoying and cumbersome, sure the way the Xbox 360 handles this stuff is rather dull and boring but I'd rather be playing the games then wasting time exploring this fancy 3D world, but that is just me.

Got to admit it does all look very pleasant - If they are smart they'll make it so whatever they use as "achievements" can be converted to buy products in the shops. Play a couple of games of Gran Turismo 5 and then pimp out your apartment with the spoils. Would then be a good way to show off the size of your e-penis when u bring back people to your gaff!! :rolleyes:

I'll admit it does look really cool and the possibilities are endless with what you can do with it. I quite liked the whole trophy room idea, being able to put trophies and even videos from your games, cool stuff. However, for me personally after the novelty has worn off it would become more annoying and cumbersome, sure the way the Xbox 360 handles this stuff is rather dull and boring but I'd rather be playing the games then wasting time exploring this fancy 3D world, but that is just me.

I feel the same way. While I think Home is cool, and very impressive, XBL works because it integrates right into every game you play, while you play it. Home is like a separate game in itself and I don't know how often I'd want to load that up to wander around to find people to play a game instead of actually playing a game and just finding people by being matched with them.

-Spenser

I feel the same way. While I think Home is cool, and very impressive, XBL works because it integrates right into every game you play, while you play it. Home is like a separate game in itself and I don't know how often I'd want to load that up to wander around to find people to play a game instead of actually playing a game and just finding people by being matched with them.

-Spenser

Well that's the big "key" to Home. If they can't fully integrate future games into the Home application, it's going to be a useless service in terms of "meeting" other players to start a game.

I don't think anyone can disagree that it's absolutely necessary that they accomplish this. It's been one of the biggest problems with PSN so far, the lack of any integration into the games themselves. And hopefully previous "popular" titles such as Resistance, Motorstorm will be patched in order to integrate.

Well that's the big "key" to Home. If they can't fully integrate future games into the Home application, it's going to be a useless service in terms of "meeting" other players to start a game.

I don't think anyone can disagree that it's absolutely necessary that they accomplish this. It's been one of the biggest problems with PSN so far, the lack of any integration into the games themselves. And hopefully previous "popular" titles such as Resistance, Motorstorm will be patched in order to integrate.

That's not exactly what I was getting at. Sure, you can integrate the games that way, but then you still have to start up Home separately, and then start up whatever game you end of meeting someone to play, and it just seems that after a little while, that might get to be more cumbersome than the XBL way where you just load up the game you want to play right off the bat, and get matched into games with people or invite your friends to play. Home can't be integrated with the games the same way XBL can because XBL is a service that runs through the game, not a game that runs separate from other games.

-Spenser

:kiss:

Where did you find it?

If I told you I would lose a part of my life which is very enjoyable :) But hey, I hope to see some of you guys on the trial......thats if I get in.

I don't know if this has already been posted but you guys might be interested:

http://www.homebetatrial.com/

I hope this website has been made public as I don't wanna get a kick in the ass by some people.

awesome. thanks for the link scazza :). i'll be checking this everyday to see if/when they'll let us register. it would be great to get in on this.