Bye Bye Mac

I just sold my first mac for $350, a PPC Mac Mini. It looks like I'll be leaving the mac scene, Im gonna miss my little mac mini. :(

that saddens me buddy. I am just entering the Mac work, and you are leaving it. You know, there are faster macs out there, you could always look into a fancy mac pro ;) however, they are expensive, I am know...

There is no reason to buy a PC nowadays. You get the benefit of Mac OS X & u can run XP or Vista (don't know about the Mac drivers). Plus u get a beautiful machine.

There is no reason to buy a PC nowadays. You get the benefit of Mac OS X & u can run XP or Vista (don't know about the Mac drivers). Plus u get a beautiful machine.

price would be one good reason ;), altough the gap is getting smaller you still pay a lot for the mac brand and design :)

LOL? for the same price, i can get a way better pc and its a HUGE factor

well I as a Mac user can say I have a machine for which the hardware components and system all fits together just perfectly...

If I look into those advertisements and see how mixed those machines are and that there are still lots of thinks Apple puts innovation into...

for example: the motion sensor in the macbooks, apple remote that doesn't need a billion keys and suits the mac...

it all doesn't look mixed up, rather like born to be combined...

that's why Apple is the only computer builder I trust.

Glassed Silver:mac

What about the price then?

yep. There's the reason.

What about the price then?

yep. There's the reason.

I'm a Mac user and looking for a new system to replace my iMac G5. Macs are more expensive than PCs depending on what you want. Want a core 2 system, 1 gb ram, pretty fast video and not much expandability/upgradability? Get an iMac.

But if I want to expand and upgrade (video card, sound, etc) and I don't so much care about the CPU then Macs are more expensive. For what it is the MacPros are really nice computers, but buying dual Xeons is too much just to get the expand and upgrade with expansion cards.

Single reason I will never spend a significant amount of money on a Mac: I can't build it myself. For me at least, a new computer is a hands-on building experience, and clearly that will never happen with a Mac. Fine by me, I don't need a piece of trendy white plastic.

Single reason I will never spend a significant amount of money on a Mac: I can't build it myself. For me at least, a new computer is a hands-on building experience, and clearly that will never happen with a Mac. Fine by me, I don't need a piece of trendy white plastic.

but that's the reason for getting a Mac: it's not a system that is "randomly" built. it's a machine that's built with components and is expected to work in a certain manner.

i spent a lot of money on a mac recently. and it's been great. i love it. no regrets at all. it just works and works beautifully

I used to be the same way. But honestly, it gets old. Most machines have enough power for me these days that it just isn't an issue. Putting tab A into slot B gets really boring, as does fighting with Windows drivers.

Lack of upgradability and modbility is a major problem for any real enthusiast

Well that sure doesn't happen often, or at least it's not posted in the forums. I agree with the custom building posts though. It's cheaper and simply gives you more options than buying a Mac.

...as does fighting with Windows drivers.

Fighting with Windows drivers is no worse (or better) than non-existent drivers for Mac. They both have positives and negatives, it just depends on what things you prefer and what other things you are willing to put up with.

Also, drivers are only as good as the 3rd party producing them. Crappy 3rd parties produce crappy drivers which produce a crappy Mac/Windows experience.

Single reason I will never spend a significant amount of money on a Mac: I can't build it myself. For me at least, a new computer is a hands-on building experience, and clearly that will never happen with a Mac.

Other than your last line (which I removed), that's the exact reason I got a mac. I did not want to have to build my system. I don't have time, nor do I care. I clicked "order" on apple.com, and in a few days it was at my house. I plugged it in and it worked. That's what I want.

As for "Fine by me, I don't need a piece of trendy white plastic." ... I don't know of any people who bought it to be "trendy." $1500+ is a lot to be "trendy" if you're not wanting it's other features. And the white plastic happens to be its case... Yet another pathetic attempt at 'insulting' a mac. You don't see me insulting PCs, so why do you have to?

Other than your last line (which I removed), that's the exact reason I got a mac. I did not want to have to build my system. I don't have time, nor do I care. I clicked "order" on apple.com, and in a few days it was at my house. I plugged it in and it worked. That's what I want.

... and you can't do that with a PC manufacturer?