Bye Bye Mac

Excellent post... (Y)

Neither have you.

How about I start?

For instance buying a MacBook Pro over a Dell laptop... you have a 1-inch thick, magnesium alloy casing, backlit keys, built in webcam, 802.11n and the ability to legally run both OSX and any other OS which runs on the x86 architecture. What does the Dell offer? plastic fantastic, possibly a webcam on the more expensive models, bluetooth on the more expensive models, as far as I know currently no 802.11n just 802.11g and certainly no backlit keys. You can't run OSX on those Dell laptops either.

I have to say the iMacs are nothing more than glorified word processors. Great for joe average, but not so great for those who need a more substantial system.

MacPro is also over rated and you can build a better specced system for a lot less money.

Nobody needs magnesium alloy casing or backlit keys. Most people don't use a webcam. x.11n is hardly needed at the current moment. And if I wanted to run OSX, I would get a Mac, but I don't see the advantage of OSX over Windows, so long as you're not a complete retard when using your computer. Everything you listed are just specs for the computer, which I would separate from quality because, in his argument, you pay more for a similar spec'd computer because you are paying for quality. The case and the keys and the webcam are unnecessary gimmicks that don't really make it more quality - they just make it appear to have more quality. Also, that magnesium alloy case didn't stop my buddies optical drive from becoming unusable when he picked it up from that corner one too many times.

I don't need to define quality for that guy, as I made no arguments about the quality of one over the other, except that I didn't see how macs had better quality because he didn't define it.

I agree with the last two points you make.

I also agree with loki. Build quality is more of the quality this should be pointed at, given the other guy's argument, and Macs aren't anything special in that area.

Also, the other guy's post that you quoted at 'excellent'. It's not really. It's also a flamebait post, so it's actually really amusing that he posted it at all.

-Spenser

The Mac Pro I would like is ?700 more expensive than the PC I would build, which is a shame:((

Alternatively, the iMac that I want doesn't have the graphics power I'd like it to have nor does it have the storage options available.

Well, I started on the PC world, I consider myself an "enthusiast" - I was like many here building my computers from the groundup, and I really like it...you are proud of yourself for building a nice computer and well you get to tweak it after and everything that follows. I didn't hated Apple and never had much interest on it either, mostly because you could never choose what you put inside, and that for me was a "no no" at the time.

But after sometime I got tired of building everything (choosing your components, putting everything together, installing all the software etc...), I went to a friends house who showed me his mac running OS X..It was a hugge change for me as I never had the chance of using one...And the first thing that caught my attention was how everything worked seamlessly on OS X (applications, user interface, etc..wasn't impressed on the hardware though). After some researchs and a good deal from a friend I ended up buying a Powerbook. The hardware was ok, but what I liked most about it was OS X..that made all the difference for me. Off course I still wish today I could have more flexibilty in choosing my components (that's one thing I really miss, like gfx cards and sound cards mostly) but I'm giving up that flexibilty in exchange of all the benefits that OS X brings me.

Anyway thats my story :)

So, I'm a PC user, who's about to buy a MacBook Pro.... unlike people in here, I couldn't give two ****s what sort of computer someone uses.

But people who argue about consoles, computers, browsers, video cards, OS's, mobo brands, CPU's are all just, well, stupid really. Whats the damned point?

People who get upset because others who argue about consoles, computers, browsers, video cards, OS's, mobo brands, CPU's are all just, well, stupid really. Whats the damned point?

For the record, this is a discussion board, we are discussing things. Mac/PC has been discussed before, it will be dicussed again. Get over it.

So far you have contributed zero to this thread and just helped take it further off course, feel free to try to rebut, but i'm moving on.

People have interests and hobbies they are passionate about. There will be heated discussions, debates, etc.

Horse-enthusiasts will argue about horses. Aviation afficionados will argue over thrust/weight ratios, weapons systems, whatever.

This site is about computers, software, and various forms of tech. Welcome to Neowin.

Do you want to:

- Tweak left right and center?

- Lap heatsinks and cut the case up to install 12cm fans?

- Overclock to within a few hertz of stability?

- Benchmark new drivers every time the become available?

- Hunt for that 50% overclocking CPU, or the GPU with unlockable pipes?

- Want to stay on the treadmill of constantly buy better, faster components to keep the latest and greatest games FPS up?

- Impress yourself with your PC surgery skills (aka PC Lego)?

- Play the latest and greatest version of PC Game 200x (DX10 boobies!)?

If you answer yes to any of the above, then a Windows PC is the only game in town. You'll also find more enthusiasts under the bonnet of a Ford Focus or a Vectra tweaking and cleaning ready for the run down to the supermarket car park than you will under the bonnet of a Mercedes...

Yeah, and anyone who has a system that is 3 years old has to spend for upgrades in order to run Vista. That's a reality.

LOL, tell that to may PC witch was running RC1 like a dream. Prehaps you should try reality yourself.

Very true, and the Quicktime that is included won't even play videos in full screen!

Yeah, you spend all that money on a mac, and you don't even get full screen videos. :( I own a MacBook btw, so dont flame me :rolleyes:

Yeah, and anyone who has a system that is 3 years old has to spend for upgrades in order to run Vista. That's a reality.

My system is just over 4 years old and runs Vista perfectly.

In terms of the original problem, If you have a problem that cannot be solved by a reformat it almost always means you have an underlying hardware problem.

Ask for a full service and don't allow them to tell you it is a software problem

I read the comment about the Macbook with the titanium cover... I have a friend with one of those laptops and he hates it. It looks horrible after less than a year's use. :/ Beautiful when new, though.

Another vote for reality (and you not knowing what it is)

my 3.5 year old system, runs Vista like a dream.

I have 3 other computers at my work that I have upgraded already, all are 3 years old, all run Vista just great.

Get a clue before you talk about something. :blink:

I read the comment about the Macbook with the titanium cover... I have a friend with one of those laptops and he hates it. It looks horrible after less than a year's use. :/ Beautiful when new, though.

I have a Powerbook G4 (Aluminimum) thats over a year old, and a MacBook Pro that's pushing 6 months. Both still look great just like when I got them. Everything needs care I guess your friend just didn't take care of his properly.

I have a Powerbook G4 (Aluminimum) thats over a year old, and a MacBook Pro that's pushing 6 months. Both still look great just like when I got them. Everything needs care I guess your friend just didn't take care of his properly.

You're right. I have no idea how he took care of it. However, my mother happens to have one of those Dell laptops with the metallic finish cover (I don't know what material it really is). I know she does nothing special to it and it still looks good. It might've been an isolated instance but it's my only close interaction with an Apple laptop.

Also, I forgot about this. It might be a closer competitor to the iMac:

It's for sale at local stores for $1,799.

8 pages later who've thought this thread was supposed to be about a guy who sold his Mac mini...

thread closed